:: The Academy Animated Awards :: (The Nines - The Hustla Within the Shell...)

Nine Kuze 09-13-2005 01:32 PM
I had this idea for some time now and I thought that I should finally get it out there to you guys and see what everybody thinks of it:

I'm a big fan of movies and also a big fan of the Academy Awards, a ceremony held at the beginning of each year for movies from the year before to award them for certain categories. So I came up with this idea. Since just about everyone here is a bon a fide anime expert and have seen just about every anime show to come from the land of the Rising Sun, I thought that I would present Academy Animated Awards.

Check it out, it goes like this...

Every once in a while, I give out three categories that people can nominate certain characters and certain anime shows for. For each category, the top five nominees that gets the strongest reaction and phrase from you, the members of the PC Forums, will go into the final running for the award of the certain category that it was nominated for. After the nominees have been gathered for all the categories, polls will go up to have the members vote for a winner for that category and the winners will be announced one by one.

So, what do you guys think? I hope you guys are interested in doing this with me because I think it will be amazing to see what everyone's thinks about who should win what and who should be nominated for what. I will put the first three categories up soon so you guys can start the nominations so make sure to check this out every once in a while.

Down below are the guidelines to the Academy Animated Awards and have a read at that. See you guys soon as I'll be starting this up in a little while (hopefully). With everyone getting involved with this, I'm sure it will be fun and big.

Also, if you guys have anything to do add, say, and mention about any of this, please feel free to give your ol' boy hustla a response or e-mail me. Thanks.

Peace.

Academy Animated Award Rules:
The anime shows that are allowed to be nomiated for the categories must be from this year. Meaning, that they must have aired on national television during the current year. Above are examples of the most main anime shows that have aired on television in 2005.

The 26 categories (below) are what the anime shows will be nominated for. The way this works is that someone on the forums will nominate a character or a certain anime show and if that nominatee gets a strong reaction from the rest of the forums, than that nominee will be in the final running for the category that they were nominated for.

Each category will have a maximum of four nominees. Later on, after the top four nominees have been chosen by the members of the forums, the members will then be able to vote for the one they think best deserves the award for that category via poll. In the polls, the maximum amount they can vote for is two nominees at a time.

After the polls have closed, the results will be named in at a later time by two categories at a time. And another thread will be posted to have the members discuss the results as well as the entire process of the AAA step by step.

Academy Animated Awards Categories:

- Best Series
- Best Director
- Best Action Series
- Best Dramatic Series
- Best Male Character
- Best Female Character
- Best Supporting Male Character
- Best Supporting Female Character
- Best Villain Character
- Best Cinematography
- Best Animated Direction
- Best Editing
- Best Screenplay
- Best Storyline
- Best Character Design
- Best Visual Effects
- Best English Voice Acting
- Best Foreign Voice Acting
- Best Animated Picture
- Best Motion Picture
- Best Graphic Novel
- Best Video Game
- Best Original Score
- Best Original Theme
- Best Sound
poptartchan 09-13-2005 08:26 PM
Hey doesn't sound to bad ... a little drawn out but i'll go along with it something interestion to do
Nine Kuze 09-14-2005 12:55 PM
Thanks!

That really means a lot since I've been putting some thought into this for some time now. Sorry for making it sooooo damn long, but I thought it was neccassary for all the rules and categories and so forth.

So, yeah. I get this started when other members show some interest and start getting involved as well.

Peace.
Nine Kuze 09-20-2005 02:18 PM
The Emmys have... well the Emmys and the Academy Awards have the Oscars. Well here at the Paradigm-City.com forums, we have the Dorothys for the Academy Anime Awards.

And the Dorothy goes to... I liked the idea.

Anyway, in case you haven't read my Academy Anime Awards thread before (it's a bit long and I've changed some stuff along the way.)I'm hosting an award event where we (the members) here at the forums nominate and vote for anime series and anime characters. Just nominate an anime show or an anime character for a certain category and the top four nominees with the strongest reactions over the formus goes for the final running for that category. And later on, we will vote for the winner and they will be announced later on.

Remember, you can only vote for an anime series that was shown from this year.

So to get this cracking people, let's start nominating and find out who gets nominated for what and eventually who wins what.

Thanks for getting involved.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 09-20-2005 06:54 PM
I thought that this would be a cheap but funny way to get you guys interested in getting involved with my Academy Anime Awards. Enjoy!

R.Dorothy Wayneright shows up for the Academy Anime Awards. Look Roger, she isn't wearing black!

Angel from the hit anime series,The Big O, makes her appearence at the Anime Awards.

Alex Rosewater at the Academy Anime Awards

Roger Smith at the Anime Awards.

Hope you you enjoyed that and don't forget to post your nominations for the Academy Anime Awards. Thanks.
Peace.
Collateral 09-23-2005 03:22 PM
This seems really cool.

Okay for supporting characters:
Male: Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Trigun), Norman (Big-O)
Female: Millie (Trigun), Angel (Big-O)
Generalissimo D 09-23-2005 03:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Paradigm City Hustla

Roger Smith at the Anime Awards.

Ok. Its official. Bale IS Roger.

I put forth Roronoa Zoro as Best supporting male character, with Tekkaman Blade as Best Drama Anime Series ever.
Nine Kuze 09-24-2005 03:41 PM
Thanks a lot of responding you guys. It really means alot. Big Grin

Supporting male character for Big O, that can go alot of ways but if I had to pick two guys it would be Schwartzwold and Alex Rosewater. Those are my nominations. Much love, Norman.

Thanks again, and lets get more people involved in this!

Peace.
Ano Hito 09-24-2005 08:42 PM
I have a suggestion for a category: male character most often mistaken for a girl....
Raven 09-24-2005 10:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ano Hito
I have a suggestion for a category: male character most often mistaken for a girl....

Nominees: Vash the Stampede and Amoro Rei
Big Money 09-24-2005 10:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ano Hito

3/4 of the characters from Naruto...
Ano Hito 09-25-2005 12:19 PM
my nominiees: Sesshoumaru of Inuyasha, Ritsu of Fruits Basket, Yukimura of Samurai Deeper Kyo, Sanzo of Saiyuki
Schoolie 09-26-2005 11:30 PM
Over the past year, huh? Well, I hope I nominate eligible candidates. I get Cartoon Network but not G4/Tech TV. But I have seen RahXephon. And I don't think anything on Fox or WB counts Wink .

Best Character - Male - Mugen from Samurai Champloo

Best Character - Female - Fuu from Samurai Champloo

Best Character - Supporting Male - Maes Hughes from Full Metal Alchemist

Best Character - Supporting Female - Megumi Shitow from RahXephon (What can I say? I'm a sucker for spunkiness!)

Best Anime Series - tie: RahXephon and Samurai Champloo (haven't seen all of it yet - c'mon, Cartoon Network!)

Best Action (for an anime series) - Read or Die: TV Series (I vote on a blind guess and after seeing 10 minutes of one show. I know it's got the goods.)

Best Drama (for an anime series) - RahXephon

Best Direction - Samurai Champloo - Watanabe makes everything cool

Best Animation - RahXephon - beautiful

Best Anime Movie - Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door - this is how anime movies based on TV shows MUST be made!!!!

Best Storyline - RahXephon - it's Evangelion . . . only better!

Best Editing - RahXephon (great moments of action, silent drama, romance, and mysterious mind trips)

Best Voice Acting - Samurai Champloo (C'mon, is there anything else out there to top the three main leads? I didn't think so.)

Best Theme Song - Read or Die: TV Series -
Just listen to this jazzy riff and watch your toes start tapping!
Check out two different 30-second clips of this song at
http://www.geneonanimemusic.com/ (Click on September 2004 on the left hand side for R.O.D., select Track 1, and flex your toe muscles)

and also at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ce&s=music&st=*

Best Music/Sound - Samurai Champloo - metal swords clashing, birds chirping, and hip-hop home slice!

Best Visual Effects - Ghost in the Shell: SAC - neat and scary portrayal of the future

Best Costume Design - InuYasha - can't beat the detail in those clothes

My apologies for being heavy on the Champloo and RahXephon, but these hands-down are the best anime shows "currently" airing on television this year. (And I've only listened to the R.O.D. TV Soundtrack - haven't seen it yet Crying )

As for the other shows, they're okay but not the tops. Full Metal Alchemist has been a little disappointing (don't be hatin'! - it's still good but a hard balance between goofy and dramatic); Ghost in the Shell was a little too aloof and technophilic; InuYasha's current Band of Seven/Mountain arc has been a little too drawn out and taking away from the usual fun formula; S-Cry-ed is okay but nothing to write home about; Paranoia Agent overall was just a little too experimental for my tastes.

The too big shows for this year (broadcast on TV) were Samurai Champloo and RahXephon. (And I'm eagerly holding my breath - if that's possible - to finally watch Read Or Die: TV!)

How about another category:
Best Single Episode (I think this is one they have at the Emmys)
My nomination goes to Paranoia Agent, episode #5: The Holy Warrior - this is the one when the two police investigators get caught up on the kid's fantasy game world. Classic!

As for a guy/girl character, what's up with that snake-sword-weilding Jakotsu on InuYasha?
Nine Kuze 09-28-2005 03:12 PM
You guys that have already posted your nominations... I just want to step back and say that you guys saved my life. Seriously.
When I posted this thread a while back, I was kind of bummed out that no one responded at the rate that I thought they would. Now that we got it going, I'm jumpin' around like Tom Cruise on an Oprah show. But I just wanted to give a thanks to you guys for responding. It really means a lot.

Okay, enough of the sentimental hustle. Back to the Awards.

Okay, so far this is what we got:

:: From Collateral ::
Best Character - Supporting Male: Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Trigun), Norman Berg (Big O)
Best Character - Supporting Female: Angel (Big O), Millie (Trigun)

:: From D-Boy ::
Best Character - Supporting Male: Roronoa Zoro
Best Drama - For An Anime Series: Tekkaman Blade

:: From Schoolie ::
Best Character - Male: Mugen (Samurai Champloo)
Best Character - Female: Fuu (Samurai Champloo)
Best Character - Supporting Male: Maes Hughes (FullMetal Alchemist)
Best Character - Supporting Female: Megumi Shitow (RahXephon)
Best Anime Series: RahXephon, Samurai Champloo
Best Action - For An Anime Series: Read Or Die
Best Drama - For An Anime Series: RahXephon
Best Direction: Samurai Champloo
Best Animation: RahXephon
Best Anime Movie: Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Best Storyline: RahXephon
Best Editing: RahXephon
Best Voice Acting: Samurai Champloo
Best Theme Song: " " (Read Or Die) (I need the name of the song)
Best Music/Sound: Samurai Champloo
Best Visual Effects: Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Best Costume Design: Inuyasha

:: From Paradigm City Hustla ::
Best Character - Male: Roger Smith (Big O), Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop), Inuyasha (Inuyasha)
Best Character - Female: R.Dorothy Wayneright (Big O), Kagome (Inuyasha), Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex)
Best Character - Supporting Male: Sesshomaru (Inuyasha), Vegeta (Dragonball Z), Maes Hughes (FullMetal Alchemist)
Best Character - Supporting Female: Angel (Big O), Kikyo (Inuyasha), Meia Gisborn (Vandread)
Best Action - For An Anime Series: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Dragonball Z
Best Drama - For An Anime Series: Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Big O, FullMetal Alchemist
Best Direction: Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Big O, Cowboy Bebop
Best Anime Movie: Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Ghost In The Shell, Read Or Die
Best Storyline: Big O, FullMetal Alchemist, Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Best Editing: Samurai Champloo, Big O, Cowboy Bebop
Best Theme Song: "Himegoto" (Vandread), "Every Heart" (Inuyasha), "Dearest" (Inuyasha)
Best Costume Design: Dragonball Z, Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo

Also check my earlier posts to see the new list of categories. I think all the gamers here we enjoy that. And let's get some more nominations posted down! Thanks.

Peace.
Ano Hito 09-28-2005 04:34 PM
My nominiees:
(if we can use older animes, that is)

Best Character - Male: Genjo Sanzo (Gensoumaden Saiyuki)
Best Character - Female: Integra Wingates Hellsing (Hellsing)
Best Character - Supporting Male: Togusa (Ghost in the Shell: SAC)
Best Character - Supporting Female: Haruko (FLCL)
Best Anime Series: Paranoia Agent
Best Action - For An Anime Series: Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Best Drama - For An Anime Series: Fruits Basket
Best Direction: Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Best Animation: Fullmetal Alchemist
Best Anime Movie: Ninja Scroll
Best Storyline: Trigun
Best Voice Acting: FLCL
Best Theme Song: Outlaw Star
Best Music/Sound: Cowboy Bebop
Best Visual Effects: Wolf's Rain
Best Costume Design: Samurai Champloo
Raven 09-28-2005 05:05 PM
Can I suggest a best villain catagory? I think that would have some pretty good competition too.
Schoolie 09-28-2005 09:25 PM
Oooh best villain - good category. Out of the last year's shows? I'd say Lust from Full Metal Alchemist. What a conniving little murderous floozy! But that's what makes her a good villain.
Nine Kuze 09-29-2005 02:19 PM
Best villian category. That's a hell of an idea and I was actually thinking of putting that in but I snubbed it because some shows from this year didn't the "regular" villian. But if you guys want to have that category, then we can put that in.

Also, for the category of Best Male Character that looks like a female, Jakatosu from Inuyasha wins, hands down. Actually, I'm still convinced that "he's" really a female and I'm going to need some proof. Also, I would have nominated Shippo. When I first watched the series, I had no idea what the hell "he" was. Big Grin

quote:
Best Character - Female: Integra Wingates Hellsing (Hellsing)

Very good pick, Ano Hito and I would like to second this nomination. She has the coolest eyes. I can stare into them all day...

If you guys have some nominations for Best Character - Villian, then go on and put them down.

Peace.
Raven 09-29-2005 04:18 PM
Best Anime - Cowboy Bebop
Best Character :: Male - Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin)
Best Character :: Female - Major Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)
Best Character :: Supporting Male - Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)
Best Character :: Supporting Female - Suzuka (Outlaw Star)
Best Character :: Villain - Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)
Best Direction - Ghost in the Shell SAC
Best Animation - Ghost in the Shell SAC
Best Screenplay/Storyline - Cowboy Bebop
Best Anime Movie - Ghost in the Shell
Best Voice Acting - Cowboy Bebop
Best Music - Cowboy Bebop
Best Theme Song - Outlaw Star
Best Visual Effects - Inuyasha
Best Costume Design - Inuyasha
Sharpshooter005 09-29-2005 06:24 PM
quote:
Best Character - Villian

Would Father Anderson from Hellsing count as a Villain?

Because the only other one in that series was..incognito...whos more of the worst character ever than anything.

(Really, that was such a tremendous lowpoint in that series)