The Electric City

Wreck-Gar 02-04-2006 10:46 PM
I don't know if this is discussed before, but I had a really huge "Duh" moment when stumbling upon this information at both Wikipedia and Answers.com by mistake.

"In 1999, the anime series Big O showed Scranton as a city famous for an electricity-generating sea serpent residing in a nearby body of water."

It makes perfect sense, Scranton "The Electric City" is also Big O's "The Electric City. I actually had the thought before when I saw the Electric City sign that's in the real life Scranton in Big O but I thought it was just a coincidence and shrugged it off.

So if Paradigm is New York (natch), then The Electric City is Scranton, PA which is in close proximity to New York.
Mike 02-04-2006 10:50 PM
Yeah, someone came to that conclusion awhile ago. Scranton is like an hour or 2 from NY and was known for a big dam, or something.
Jstar136 02-04-2006 10:51 PM
Good work, but this response doesn't require a whole seperate thread. Sweatdrop

EDIT
Grr... Mike, you beat me to the punch! Crying
Wreck-Gar 02-04-2006 10:54 PM
It can get locked or deleted if necessary, I don't mind.
Jstar136 02-04-2006 11:31 PM

That is not the attitude that I want! Ever heard of thread awareness? Confused

9. This rule won't be strictly enforced, but before starting a new thread, please make sure that a thread about the subject you're posting doesn't already exist in the latest three pages of the board you're posting on. Also, when starting a new thread, please choose a thread title that matches what the thread is actually about to avoid confusion.

FOLLOW THE RULES!

Now I chill, b/c I have to watch Ghost in the Shell. Happy
Pygmalion 02-05-2006 12:10 AM
Since the notion of Electric City = Scranton was suggested by Prince-Consort Tesser over two years ago, I think that counts as "... the subject doesn't already exist in the latest three pages of the board you're posting on."

And not to rain on your parade, Wreck-Gar, but Wikipedia is not exactly an authoritative source of information. Anyone can add to a subject's entry, and presumably some Big O fan did just that in the entry for Scranton, PA.

As for myself, I'm not convinced that Scranton is a good match for "Electric City." The electricity in the fictional town came from a hydroelectric dam; the electricity in Scranton came from coal-powered boilers. (Scranton is also known as "Steamtown" because of the ironworks built there to take advantage of the abundant coal.)

There are many smallish reservoirs in the hills north and northwest of NYC, and I suspect that one of them may be a model for Electric City.

Pygmalion
A Clockwork Tomato 02-05-2006 09:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jstar136

Threads that have gone more than a few months without postings are dead. Sometimes zombie threads climb out of their graves and stagger around for a while before falling down again, but that doesn't mean they're better than new threads.

New threads have the advantage that all the postings are from people who are still members, rather than people who abandoned the forums years ago.

Viva le new threads!
Jstar136 02-05-2006 10:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
quote:

Threads that have gone more than a few months without postings are dead. Sometimes zombie threads climb out of their graves and stagger around for a while before falling down again, but that doesn't mean they're better than new threads.

New threads have the advantage that all the postings are from people who are still members, rather than people who abandoned the forums years ago.

Viva le new threads!

I understand that Clockwork, but the thread he should have posted on is less than a month old.
Wreck-Gar 02-05-2006 03:42 PM
quote:
And not to rain on your parade, Wreck-Gar, but Wikipedia is not exactly an authoritative source of information. Anyone can add to a subject's entry, and presumably some Big O fan did just that in the entry for Scranton, PA.

As for myself, I'm not convinced that Scranton is a good match for "Electric City." The electricity in the fictional town came from a hydroelectric dam; the electricity in Scranton came from coal-powered boilers. (Scranton is also known as "Steamtown" because of the ironworks built there to take advantage of the abundant coal.)

I'm aware that Wikipedia isn't an authoratative source on anything, I was just saying that I agreed with the idea. The name "Electric City" was given to the city after they employed the first electric street car.

"Steamtown" Actually comes from Scranton's railroad history FYI and is also the name of a railroad museum located there. You're right though there is no hydroelectric dam there.

Other than that inconsistancy it makes sense though, Scranton is sometimes referred to as the "dump city of New York."
paradoxx 05-04-2006 11:46 PM
quote:

That is not the attitude that I want! ever hear of thread weirdness, sometimes posters see similar things in teh series and end up posting almost identical threads, leading to a weird feeling of deja-vu that only makes watching the series all that more enjoyable (in a weird way) Tongue

and of course by doing this i have revivied a zombie thread that will die soon. But i just rewatched this episode and was seeking for the answer, so here I am.
R. Daniel Olk 01 05-11-2006 02:05 PM
Blah blah blah, bicker-shmicker.

Scranton, PA, eh? Two hours's drive from NY, eh?

On one hand, I like the idea, because that means people have explored kinda far out from Paradigm City, and that there's all this unexplored wilderness that can be just teeming with abandoned technology and secret hideouts.

On the other hand... Pygmalion's thread shows that Scranton obviously isn't it. But still, the simple existence of a city (whichever it is) so far out into the wilderness opens up so many possibilities. Smile