Saddest movie ever.

Prons 10-16-2004 03:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Avenir
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
quote:
The saddest movie ever, in my opinion, is the anime film Grave of the Fireflies. Such a very powerful movie and very, very sad.

Is that the one about the boy and his sister trying to live in wwII japan?

Yep, that's it. It had a very sad ending.

I watched it for like an hour before realizing it was the boringst thing I've seen all week and then I began to rue the day I requested it from the library.

Good thing I didn't buy it.
Asirt 10-16-2004 03:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Prons
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
quote:
The saddest movie ever, in my opinion, is the anime film Grave of the Fireflies. Such a very powerful movie and very, very sad.

Is that the one about the boy and his sister trying to live in wwII japan?

Yep, that's it. It had a very sad ending.

I watched it for like an hour before realizing it was the boringst thing I've seen all week and then I began to rue the day I requested it from the library.

Good thing I didn't buy it.

I guess it's one of those slow dramas that you just have to sit through and watch. It depends on what you like. I liked the movie when I saw it last night. I'm not sure if it meets the "saddest movie ever" award, but it's pretty sad. In fact, I'm not sure myself what the saddest movie ever is for me. Frown

Later,
Trisa
Prons 10-16-2004 03:22 PM
The Ring (Japanese Viersion) - That part when Sadako climbs out of the TV and
spoiler (highlight to read):
Kills Ryuji

gets me every time.
BethMcBeth 10-16-2004 05:59 PM
Hmmm for me the movie that almost maybe made me cry was The Lion King when Simbas father is run over by the Wilda Beats, but that was more like the ".oh my ..hes..hes.......dead" otehr than that I try not to get all upset with movies nad stuff yeah call me a big jerk. ^_~""""'
Mike 10-16-2004 06:13 PM
Das Boot was really sad.
At the end, the sub gets back to base and everybody is celebrating, then it gets bombed and everyone dies.
MidnightLight 10-16-2004 08:26 PM
Tonight I saw the Day Aftern Tomorrow, and for some strange reason I felt like I was going to cry. And I used to think Mufasa from the Lion King dying was sad...Sweatdrop
Xel 10-17-2004 12:40 AM
I remember crying when I saw Life is Beautiful, but I don't remember the film itself that well because I first saw it in theaters when I was in sixth grade...

I've heard The Pianist is pretty tough to watch, though I haven't seen it.

I cried like a little bitch at A.I... Sweatdrop Also at like all of the emotional Frodo/Sam scenes in The Two Towers and Return of the King.

And though this isn't a movie, I cry at the end of FFX like almost every time.
COHugh 10-17-2004 01:46 AM
Wing Commander....

Realizing I spent $5 for a matine showing and 2 hours of my life on this stinkburger never to get it back again had me weeping for weeks.

Edit: But seriously, I think my saddest cinema moment from recent memory would have to be "Something's Got to Give". If I had written that movie,

It would have ended with the scene of Jack Nickelson standing in front of the Efiel<sp> Tower, preparing to track down Diane Keaton and profess his love. That movie should have stopped right there and it would have been great. Instead, they dragged it on and it was the *lame* Hollywood ending. Oh Well It's sad from more of a poor story-telling aspect than a emotional one.

Saddest moment for me would have to be ... Hmm, I'll have to think about it.
Lynnet 10-17-2004 08:28 PM
Dancer in the Dark was really sad. Plotwise there are sadder, but Bjork did such a fabulous job acting...it seemed like every scene she was in was actually happening to her. Not to mention gorgeous music.

Jin Roh was pretty depressing, too.

They both go in the category of movies I'd enthusiastically recommend, but don't think i could bear watching again.
snapdragon 10-18-2004 01:48 PM
among the saddest movies ever :

- Elephant man by David Lynch (yes him again) : i could NEVER see this movie again.....it was hardly bearable...too much sadness

- the 25th hour (old movie with anthony Quinn) : it traumatised me

- Requiem for a dream (this one is recent - and so very realistic - its the downward spiral of 3 junkies...i think the music + the way its filmed and so on makes this movie totally unique)

- the army of shadows (old french movie, i doubt anyone knows it - its about resistance fighters during WWII)

- Freaks (oh my god, again another oooold movie : 1932 - yet a masterpiece)

- American history X (a recent one : with Edward Furlong and Edward Norton : some of the most disturbing scenes ever but a very very good movie)
M.S. Feather 10-19-2004 07:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lynnet
Dancer in the Dark was really sad. Plotwise there are sadder, but Bjork did such a fabulous job acting...it seemed like every scene she was in was actually happening to her. Not to mention gorgeous music.

YES!! Dancer in the Dark was terribly depressing.
And 'I've Seen it All' was a beautiful song...actually it's the reason I watched it in the first place. I saw a clip from that scene on IFC and decided to catch it. I'm glad I did.

Requiem for a Dream was probably the second saddest movie I've ever seen. Like Snapdragon said, the entire thing's pretty much nothing but the downward spiral of a few drug addicts. Eventually the movie ends with (possibly) the worst case scenarios for all of them. But I didn't cry until they got to Mrs. Goldfarb...that was horrible. Frown
It also sported the most beautiful soundtrack I've ever heard.

Also...

Road to Perdition
Metropolis
The Green Mile
Star Trek: Nemesis
DATA!!!!!!!! Crying
R and D 10-19-2004 10:58 AM
ummm Snow White? Confused

and the other one is LOTR part 3. the book and the movie were so sad! Crying
Madrona 10-19-2004 11:12 AM
He's my small list.

Where the Red Fern Grows I'm sorry. The book, the movie they both get me. Dogs, it's about dogs

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan I wailed like a baby in the theater when I saw it the first time. My father just sat there and laughed at me.

Summertime A great David Lean film with Kathrine Hepburn and the drool worthy Rossano Brazzi. All about love that wasn't to be.
Buck Buck #1 10-19-2004 02:06 PM
I've got to say Bambi.
Benjamin 11-26-2004 06:40 PM
Whats the saddest movie moment you ever saw?
Mine was from Armageddon, when Harry killed himself do save this goddamn planet :'( Seeing that always brings a tear to my eyes.
Zopwx2 11-26-2004 06:48 PM
I guess it could fit in this thread:

http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/thre...eadid=9942&sid=

[Edit: Thanks, threads merged. --Krang]
Nine Kuze 12-03-2005 11:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Naojiro
One sad movie is 'Life is Beautiful' it was an Italian flim, that took place during the Holocaust. Really sad. I really felt bad for the little boy.
Since his father was killed by a Nazi soldier.

And it's an anime, but it IS a movie (I know I keep mentioning it..) Anderson Douwa- Ningyo Hime or Anderson's Story- Princess Mermaid/The Little Mermaid. It follows the oringial story closely, so it's very sad, mainly the ending. I first saw it when I was about 5, and I still cry when I watch it.

EDIT:

fixed title, thanks Tifaria! Happy

'Life is Beautiful'

One of the best movies there is and I first saw this in school and fell in love with it and almost cried right there. Schindler's List is another amazing one and that almost gets me as well. The Lion King is kind of weird for me because when I first saw it in the movie theather, I laughed and people booed at me, but then I saw it a home with the fam a couple of weeks later and I cried when Mufusa was killed.
Peace. Crying
Inigo Montoya 12-06-2005 07:53 PM
Rent hit me hard. It's a really great musical, the movie blew me away, and I think I fell completely and utterly in love with the girl I was with during it. Or rather, I was already smitten, Rent merely confirmed it.

Grave of the Fireflies is an immensely powerful movie, but I was saddened by Frankenstein. I cannot for the life of me remember which one it is now, but it was more true to the book, so Frankenstein's monster wasn't portrayed as a b-grade movie monster.

The scene that always made me sad was when Frankenstein's creation grew so guilty over what he did to his creator that he killed himself.

Nemesis was sad. Very much so, because of the fate of my favourite character from that series.

And this isn't a movie either, but in Sonic Adventure 1, right after E-102 gamma learns the wonder of emotion, he dies. That was actually a tear-jerker, in my opinion.

Shadow the Hedgehog (or as I like to call it: "Grand Theft Auto: Station Square") is a tearjerker for other, more comedic reasons.
David Ryder 12-06-2005 07:58 PM
Hmmm. well gonna have to say...

I though Braveheart was sad towards the end.

American History X was sad in some parts.

That's all I can really think of.
Nine Kuze 12-07-2005 08:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
Hmmm. well gonna have to say...

I though Braveheart was sad towards the end.

American History X was sad in some parts.

That's all I can really think of.

I forgot about American History X! That's one of my favorite movies and to me its sad because Ed Norton's character went through so much change for the better and than ended up losing his younger brother who was changing as well. Damn shame and one hell of a movie.

People usually tell me that Titanic is the saddest movie they usually see and that they cry every time they see it. I just thought it was a superb movie where Leo dies. Can't beat that Big Grin ...
Peace.