What is your school band playing?

evanASF27 10-15-2004 04:17 PM
A good question for the band nerds here.

What is YOUR school band playing for their concert(s)?? Which piece (that you are playing this year) do you like the most? Which do you HATE emphatically?

The PRHS band is playing (from what I know at the moment) a lot of difficult pieces.
  • First Suite in E-flat for Military Band -- Great piece absolutely spectacular. The only thing is, our band needs to have an actual attention span to play this ~_~
    MIDIs -> Movement 1: Chacone...Movement 2: Intermezzo...Movement 3: March

• 1941 -- W0000000000TNESS!!!!!!! @_@ The theme march form the movie "1941". We don't have the music in yet, but trust me I LOVE THIS SONG!!!

• Some other marches...yadda yadda...Don't know what the names are.

• Summon the Heroes or Call of the Champions -- I cannot remember which exactly it was he said we were playing. All I know that it was 'the' Olympic theme that you heard all the time on the news.
Pygmalion 10-15-2004 04:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27

[list][*]First Suite in E-flat for Military Band -- Great piece absolutely spectacular. The only thing is, our band needs to have an actual attention span to play this ~_~
MIDIs -> Movement 1: Chacone...Movement 2: Intermezzo...Movement 3: March

Wow, Gustav Holst. My band played that, back in the day. I can't say that we kept as brisk a pace during the Intermezzo as this MIDI file, though!

Pygmalion
Big Money 10-15-2004 04:33 PM
Chacone = Own.

We are playing Pirates of the Caribbean, which is teh suck because its easy and therefore sounds bad... escpecially considering that we were going to play Blues Brothers stuff... Dang...
madclarinet 10-15-2004 05:12 PM
Well, its not a school band for me now (really a motley collection of people) but here's what we're mainly on.

Colonel Bogey March

Behold the Lord High Executioner

Loch Lomond

American Patrol

Nights of Gladness

Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer

White Christmas

The Dam Busters March (always good to finish a concert with)

English Folk Songs Suite

and just to confuse matters - I'm currently playing the flute in this group
dominusofdeath 10-16-2004 08:08 AM
Our school band plays a bunch of James Bond movie opening themes.
noTomato 10-16-2004 08:19 AM
yay! Nerdy BAND STUFF THAT SHOWS UP THE DAY OF OUR FIRST MARCHING BAND COMP(etition)!!!! m(w)00+

Competitve Marching Band - (Opener) El Camino Real; Alfred Reed = it was specially made just for us Pleased
(2nd number) The Ballad (slow part of El Camino Real: made just for us) (Closer!) - Malaguena!!! I don't know who made it! But it's awesome! And it's got everything in it! Adagio! Swing! Jazz-ish! RoccaRocca (uh, how to explain what that is...it's the part of the song you get REALLY in to)

The Symphonic Band has been working on marching music for a week or so due to the circumstances of what? 100 hurricanes, but other then that - uhm, I don't know what they're playing, I just kinda sit around and tell them they're doing something stupid.

Wind Ensemble - Unfortunatly we're playing a bunch hi-hoe american music, but fortunately that includes Bernstein and Gershwin. (thank god)
An American in Paris: Gershwin <3 <3
Four Dances From West Story: Bernstein <3
NVWC2006 10-16-2004 05:09 PM
Well we haven't gotten to concert season just yet.

For Marching Band:

Pregame:
  • Aliens
  • Fight Song
  • Alma Mater
  • Patriots on Parade
  • Star Spangled Banner
  • Fight Song (again)
1st Halftime Show:
  • Classical Gas
  • Hush (with a dance in the middle)
  • We're an American Band
West Side Story Show:
  • Maria
  • Cool
  • Mambo
  • Tonight
Sylvania Disney Show (us and rival school play together):
  • Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Da
  • Part of Your World
  • The Bare Necessities
  • Friend Like Me
  • French National Defile
Senior Show:
  • Carry on Wayward Son
  • Let's Groove
  • French National Defile
Stand Tunes:
  • Cheer Jerkers
  • The Race
  • Hey Baby!
  • Itty Bitty Pretty One
  • The Hey Song
  • Blasters from the Masters
    -Mars, The Bringer of War
    -Also Sprach Zarathrustra
    -Rise of the Valkeries
  • Hang on Sloopy
Those are our Marching Band Songs. They will all be played at our Marching Band concert in November. Disney songs will be played again, when my and our rival band play together in Disney World this April. No we aren't doing Maleguena... We did that last year Big Grin . I dont' want to do it again, though. Our version had my and a few other squads having to go across the entire football field in about 5 measures...Not fun.

Now, as for Concert Band songs... I don't think those songs have been decided 100% yet. However...

Wind Ensemble (Class AA)- May play some themes from Pirates of the Carribean, or so I've heard. Has done songs like Rhapsody in Blue, and also does Stars and Stripes Forever every year.

Symphonic Band (Class B)- No clue.

Concert Band (Class C)- No clue.

I'm 4th chair alto sax in the Wind Ensemble this year, so I know I get to play Stars and Stripes Forever, and maybe Pirates of the Carrabean, and probably a number of others.

Aside from Marching and Concert Band, my school also has two jazz bands, Jazz Band and Jazz Cats. I'm in Jazz Cats, and so far we are playing:
  • Front Burner*
  • Fancy Pants
  • Brown Eyed Girl*
  • Don't let me be Lonely Tonight*
  • Old Time Rock and Roll
  • The Best of Basie (medley of 4 songs by Basie)*
  • Chile Pepper 101*
* Song I have a solo in.

Actually I think there are more than that, but I don't feel like getting my folder right now. If I remember any more, I'll just edit this post. I know the Jazz Band are playing The Pink Panther, and I know that last year we played Jingle Bell Rock together, we may do that again.

Phew, I think that's all of it X.X
BethMcBeth 10-16-2004 05:37 PM
Umm I have no clue I am not even sure if my college has a band. Its a small school with only about 300 some odd students, I know we have a choir but what they sing I have no clue, if I find out I'll post it back. ^_^""
evanASF27 10-18-2004 12:54 AM
well since I got nothing better to do...here’s the songs for football games etc:

Cheers -- Here We Go Pirates (our team Tongue ), Charge, #1, #2, random screw up things to play when the other team goofs, Slow Step, Imperial March (star wars).

Hang On Sloopy and Louie Louie -- Our standards. We use these in the parades and everywhere else Big Grin When out band teacher got an award for teacher of the year (well in our school anyways) we rushed out onto the stage and began playing these songs Big Grin

Friend Like Me - haven't played this in a while

Notre Dame -- every touchdown, baby

Hockey Cheer - hehehehee....but during a football game?!

Rawhide

Peter Gunn

Sweet Home Alabama - IN NEW YORK?!

Wipe Out - Whenever we get a chance we play this...even while marching! This is the song we always want to play.

Oye Comova - New song but cool none the less

Lion Sleeps Tonight - WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Big Grin

And that’s it for now...>_>......<_<....
darktacy 11-11-2004 02:22 PM
well... my band isn't playing anything exciting at the moment.... there are a couple of cool parts in some, but not many. the girl who sits to my right (the first chair flute) is getting all the fun parts cuz she's "better" than all of us....but otherwise... our band is playing christmas music for the holiday concert. William E. Rhoads' Christmas Cameos... Pierre La Plante's American Riversongs (which isn't really christmas music) and James L. Hosay's A Celtic Christmas.... all in all.... the pieces aren't that exciting, but they're what we're given....
xana_fae 11-13-2004 11:14 PM
playing.....

American Salute
American Armed Forces
America the Beautiful
Broadway!
American Elegy (dedicated to the Cloumbine people)
American in Paris
Four Songs from West Side Story

er...if there is anything else....notomato or sponny will fill in!
Mike 11-13-2004 11:25 PM
Well I'm not in band anymore...but here's some stuff we DID play....

Are You Ready For This
How The West Was Won
One from A Chorus Line (which was stuck in the middle of How The West was Won...get it? How The West Was One)
Pinball Wizard
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Tennessee Squaire Dance (basically a completely insane bell solo...KICKED ASS!)
Karn Evil 9
My Way
The Magnificent Seven
Jurassic Park
Armed Forces Salute
God Bless the USA (damn I hate that song...)
American in Paris
You Can Call Me Al
Sweet Home Alabama
Hang On Sloopy
and various random crap.

and the fight songs...
Buckeye Battle Cry
Iowa Fight Song
Minnesota Rouser
Pregame Fight...which I think is from Michigan State
Texas Fight

...and those are just the ones I remember. We played at least one new song every week. And we played a bunch of things a couple times in practice but not at a game because it wasn't coming together.
evanASF27 01-14-2005 01:37 AM
old thread, yes, but still relavent Big Grin

Tonight we had...uh last night?...whatever, we just had our Winter Concert earlier in the evening. We played First Suite in Eb, Klaxon (a march), and March from "1941"...and...it...was...frickin...AWESOME!!!

We actually played WELL @_@ Usually we sound better in rehersal than in concert, but tonight we were actually pretty damn good! I kept my chops through the entire performance and actually had a rather fun time (instead of the normal panicing and killing myself).

Tomorrow we'll hear a recording of the concert. We'll also be getting free pizza Big Grin I'm excited and really happy Big Grin Smile ) Cheers all!

*edit*
Talking with Mr Cupples (my band teacher) afterwards, I commented on how he said "the band actually chose this piece [1941]". The band paid for the music with money from marching parades and we picked it out. I said something along the lines of:
quote:
I found it in a megamix in january, nagged you for 6 months for us to play it, and then we got the music in september.

...yah I picked it out Wink We had a good chuckle. Then my dad comes up and says that when Cupples announced "1941" that a man in tha back went something like "O_o ... Dead " (I...and he...AM/WAS NOT JOKING). Apparently he had seen the movie Laughing Not to mention that when he [my band teacher] had turned to us [the band] to start playing the March of '1941', a couple people in the audiance hesitantly started clapping. I flailed my arms in the manner of saying "come on! COME ON! Clap folks!!" and we got a rioting applause. Mr Cupples told me to take a bow and I did Tongue Laughing ....yah I'm rambling, BUT IT'S FUNNY Big Grin (and I feel that I must tell what happened)
madclarinet 01-15-2005 01:31 PM
One of my music groups has just started on 'Bal Masque' - I'm extremely glad I have an A Clarinet. Its only barely playable on the A, instead of unplayable on the Bb.

The part looks more like a flute piece than a clarinet part its so high...
noTomato 01-15-2005 02:39 PM
Wind Ensemble: I don't really know, I only play in one song...:\ and that song is Armenian Dances by Alfred Reed

Symphonic Band: hell if I know, I usually do my homework but I know they're playing American Riversongs by someguy, I like it, it sounds irish...despite the AMERICAN part of the name.......must be a river thing

All County: something Russian! something about a slavic slave girl, something I freaking hate and is ridiculously hard and Slava! also ridiculously hard cause we couldn't find the original copy, so, we have to read off of the score...it's quite funny really, except this kid never plays, he just kinda stands there while my short friend and I desperatly try to play all these things at once.
Tabris-kun 01-19-2005 09:24 PM
Give me just one night, rogue river venture, great balls of fire, get ready, and etc.
evanASF27 03-12-2005 12:14 AM
well...I suppose I can resurrect this thread since I know most of the songs we're playing this year in band.

BAND
Into the Raging River -- interesting song which is half-boring and half-exciting.
Phantom of the Opera -- a medely I guess of songs for Phantom of the Opera

...there were a few other songs handed out but I don't know if we're playing them for the concert...

JAZZ BAND
Night Train
Us
BATMAN! -- W00T! This pwns!

...there were I think two other pieces handed out...and I don't remember which they were x_x

P.R. Symphony (band + orchestra)
Summon the Heroes -- this pwns everything we're playing at the moment...in addition to BATMAN Big Grin
Pirates of the Carribean -- we haven't gotten the sheet music yet...but we will soon.
Russian Dance -- I forget which specific one, but it's a Russian dance Tongue
Shaoblane 04-06-2005 06:56 PM
I've been overhearing rumors for about two weeks now that we got THE HALO THEME!!! Obviously, the orchestra and the show-off choir would have to get it on it but OMG IT WOULD SOUND SO COOL!!!
noTomato 04-08-2005 06:29 PM
Symphonic Band for State Judification (<- is this a word?)
Invercargill by some guy
American Riversongs (which sounds really scottish, and in my last post I said Irish...so, whichever) by some guy
A Festival Prelude by Alfred Reed

Wind Ensemble(the better band!) for State Judification
Pepita Greus (aka Pizza Grease, but only percussion calls it that) by some guy
The Merry Widow by I really wish I knew the composers names
Armenian Dances Part 1 by Alfred Reed
NVWC2006 04-08-2005 10:22 PM
Wow, it's been TOO long since I lasted posted here. I've had a marching band concert, 2 concerts for Wind Ensemble, and 2 Jazz Concerts.

Well I'll list the music we currently have.

In Wind Ensemble we are playing:
-African Dances
-Carnival of Venice
-some song I can't remember the name of, 'blah blah blah for Alto Saxophone'
-The Inferno (From the "Divine Comedy")
-Stars and Stripes Forever

In Jazz Cats, we currently have:
-Nickle and Dime
-Swith and Time

We usually have more songs in jazz, but all jazz practice has been delayed so the pit orchestra can practice for the upcoming musical "Honk!!!" so we haven't exactly gotten any new songs.

However, I think I might also list the songs I played in the bands that have already have concerts, that I did not list before.

In Wind Ensemble, we played:
-Dancing In Air (the italics is actually in the music title)
-The Jig is Up
-City of Lights
-Within These Hallowed Halls
-Snow Caps
-The Gallent Seventh
-Armenian Dances, Part 1

In Jazz Cats, we also had played:
-The Best of Basie (mix of Count Basie songs)
-Old Time Rock and Roll
-Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight
-Route 66
-You Just Gotta Rock and Roll

If we get more songs in Jazz Cats, I'll add it. Also, at the end of the year we will revert back to marching band for our Memorial Day parade, and will play songs like the Star Spangled Banner, America the Beautiful, G-d Bless America, and other patriotic things. (2 Trumpets will also get to play Taps at cemetaries).