[Question] Search Function Question

Asirt 10-04-2004 05:12 PM
It appears that only IE has a search function, seen in this image.

When I use Mozilla Firefox, however, the search function is gone. This has gotten me confused for some time now. Is this a function built into the forums, and Firefox doesn't seem to make it work, or is this an function that IE put in?
Zopwx2 10-04-2004 07:49 PM
I never noticed that it dissapeared when I switched from IE.......

There are just some freatures that microsoft won't share.

Like all the editing tools on the AS forums dissapear with firefox.
Krang 10-04-2004 10:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
So I'm wondering: is this a function built into the forums, and Firefox doesn't seem to make it work; or is this an function that IE put in?

Later,
Trisa

I looked into this, and apparently the search box doesn't even show up in the source code when viewing the forums in Mozilla/Firefox or in Opera. So most likely this is something built into the forums that the developers disabled on non-IE browsers due to compatibility problems.
X Prime 10-04-2004 10:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
So I'm wondering: is this a function built into the forums, and Firefox doesn't seem to make it work; or is this an function that IE put in?

Later,
Trisa

I looked into this, and apparently the search box doesn't even show up in the source code when viewing the forums in Mozilla/Firefox or in Opera. So most likely this is something built into the forums that the developers disabled on non-IE browsers due to compatibility problems.

Indeed, this is true. Opting to identify Opera as IE makes the box appear, the problem is it won't do anything in Opera.
Prons 10-11-2004 11:42 PM
I never noticed that before... it also does not work in Konqueror (Spelling).
Krang 10-12-2004 12:36 AM
Actually, if you're using Mozilla or Firefox, just press the / key and type in the word you want to search for. This accomplishes pretty much the same thing as the in-thread search that is enabled for IE only.
Prons 10-12-2004 12:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Actually, if you're using Mozilla or Firefox, just press the / key and type in the word you want to search for. This accomplishes pretty much the same thing as the in-thread search that is enabled for IE only.

Yea thats pretty cool, basically what it does is as you type the word, if it finds that word it would highlight it, its pretty cool to do.
Asirt 10-12-2004 10:52 AM
quote:
If you're using Mozilla or Firefox, just press the / key and type in the word you want to search for.

Tried this a while ago, and it works. Thanks for the info. It's too bad that there are compatibility problems when using Mozilla. Ah well. Cool feature, nonetheless.