Odd HTML Behavior

A Clockwork Tomato 10-02-2004 07:19 PM
I've noticed that the little .gif files on this forum expire almost instantly, causing them to have to be reloaded endlessly by all the users. This includes the smiley faces, the icons that tell you whether there are unread messages in a thread, and all the little graphics.

It's a shame, because these files never change. They slow down the forums perceptibly. I went to the trouble of installing a proxy cache that forces gif files to expire more slowly, and things sped up nicely.

Maybe there's a default expiration on these little widgets that can be turned up to a month or more?
X Prime 10-02-2004 07:25 PM
Out of curiousity, what browser do you use?

Odd... I don't get that, but Krang may have 'Deactivate Cache Headers" on. It's not HTML related, it's a forum option that's supposed to stop dynamic PHP pages from being cached. It just sometimes affects... everything else.
A Clockwork Tomato 10-02-2004 07:36 PM
I looked using both Internet Explorer and Firefox. The GIFs themselves seem cacheable, oddly enough, but they don't get cached effectively. I know that the forum pages are generated on the fly and aren't cacheable, but the little GIF images ought to be verified once in a coon's age, and aren't.

I don't know anything about php programming, so the interaction between the pages and the images is a mystery to me. I do know quite a bit about proxy caches, and forcing a proxy cache to hang onto the GIFs really peps things up.
X Prime 10-02-2004 07:39 PM
Well, wait until Krang sees this and toggles the option, assuming he DOES toggle it. My IE caches the images though... Are you sure your temp files aren't full?

Note to Krang: Option is under Template Output/Options. I also find Gzip compression set to 'true' is very nice as well.
Krang 10-02-2004 11:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
I've noticed that the little .gif files on this forum expire almost instantly, causing them to have to be reloaded endlessly by all the users. This includes the smiley faces, the icons that tell you whether there are unread messages in a thread, and all the little graphics.

It's a shame, because these files never change. They slow down the forums perceptibly. I went to the trouble of installing a proxy cache that forces gif files to expire more slowly, and things sped up nicely.

Maybe there's a default expiration on these little widgets that can be turned up to a month or more?

That's strange, I use Mozilla, and it caches the GIFs on the forums for me. On Firefox, type
code:
1:
about:config
into the address bar. What's the value listed for "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency"?

Also, does anyone else notice the forum pages loading like this?

quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
Odd... I don't get that, but Krang may have 'Deactivate Cache Headers" on. It's not HTML related, it's a forum option that's supposed to stop dynamic PHP pages from being cached. It just sometimes affects... everything else.

Actually, I have Deactivate Cache Headers set to off. I could try turning it on, but I want to see if it's browser-related first.

quote:
I also find Gzip compression set to 'true' is very nice as well.

I agree, I always activate GZip on every forum I run due to how much bandwidth it saves.

Edit: Weird, it keeps inserting a space between "about" and ":". I just put it in a code box instead...
Green_Bird 10-03-2004 12:13 AM
The samething happens on my mom's computer (The one I'm on now) She uses IE5 I know.....It's a dinosaur. But It gets the job done....But I think it's the same thing. like when a page takes to long to load everything times out and you have to like close out and open a new window before it can work. or every few pages the stars, envlopes, smiles, avatars don't load. Or like when you reply to sometthing nothing on the page loads.....I.E. , etc. buttons and the smiles and the post icons....I just find it odd too.....