Image Editing Tutorials

Collateral 07-01-2005 10:05 AM
I tried it out and it is a lot of fun. Do you make all of your sigs with it? THey look really pretty.

For anyone and everyone, I recommend it!
Asirt 07-01-2005 10:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Collateral
I tried it out and it is a lot of fun. Do you make all of your sigs with it? THey look really pretty.

All of my image making (pans, avatars, sigs, etc.) is now done in GIMP. Thanks for the compliment on my sigs, by the way. I'm having a good time messing around with this program, and as I continue to make more images, I start to discover new things, as seen in my updated tutorials. My discovery with GIMP was when I was looking for a free image editing program. I saw The GIMP for Windows, and I downloaded it, and messed with it. However, I wasn't really pleased with it at first because it couldn't do some of the things I wanted, so I stuck with Paint Shop Pro for a while longer. Then I started to switch to Linux, and Paint Shop Pro didn't work too well with WINE, so I gave GIMP another try, and I finally liked the program. It's now one of the programs I use regularly now.

When I looked at this thread again (with the old outdated tutorials), I wanted to fix some of the things I've said earlier, and also remove some tutorials that were not useful at all. I've spent a lot of time using GIMP that I decided to rewrite a lot of the tutorials using this program. You'll also notice that I've added some new tutorials as well. These were things that I've discovered as I experimented with The GIMP. I hope that the tutorials have been useful for the users here at Paradigm City Forums, even if The GIMP is not a program that you use. This is why I encourage people to post their own tutorials on image editing using their favorite program, such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.

Anyway, that's my story behind this new updated thread. I hope it's been useful for the users here. Smile

By the way, if anyone wants to post their own tutorial with their favorite program, you may do so here.
harshfire 11-13-2005 02:29 PM
Required Software: Photoshop (this should work with anything V. 6 or higher)
Difficulty Level: Easy

Part 1

First things first. Extracting an Image. Skip this stage if you just want to edit the whol image.

Step one: find an image. For this, I'm using a picture of Edward.

Step Two:
Click on the Image Mask button on your layers. This will add a mask to the layer and allow you to edit without actually affecting the image.

Step three:
Zoom up about 200%. Or at least so you can make a clear look at the outline. Take the polygonal lasso tool and outline the edge of the image. Do it in sections, or it'll be a lot to do.

Step Four:

Once you've got the little blinking line, right click in the space and select "fill". Fill it with Black. You'll get something close to this: (or it will fill up with black. Mine goes transparent, either works.)

Step Five:
Do this until you're left with only the image you want to have left. Mine's done sloppy, and I'll show you a neater version that I did a couple nights ago of Kite from .hack. Anyway, once that's done, right click on the layer mask and select "apply layer mask". This will apply the mask and the image will be left.

Part 2

Step One:
Keep the picture's transparency. Now, take the image and duplicate the layer by dragging the first layer to "New Layer".

Step Two:
Make sure you're on the top later and go to "filter". Go to "Noise" then "median."

Step three:
Set the layer blending to either overlay, soft light, or hard light. Whatever you think looks best. Fiddle with other blending options too and see what you get. For this, I'm using the overlay option.

Step four:
If you're satisfied with the image in step three, then skip this. If not, and you still think there's some grain or something, select the original layer (or duplicate it again, and put this layer between the first and the second). Go to Filter>Blur>Smart Blur. You don't have to change any settings, but if you fiddle with it, you might get something better.

now all that's left is to combine the two or three layers together and add effects. Voila! It's done, and your image looks a bit better than before.

Like I said, mine's a bit sloppy, since I took all of five minutes on everything. So yeah, make your extracting a bit better. This image wasn't the greatest either, since there was text all over Ed...

YoruameBaroness 11-27-2005 09:37 AM
You can use the Clone Stamp and Healing Brush tools to get rid of the text over Ed. Though I'm sure you knew that already . . .
harshfire 11-27-2005 01:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by YoruameBaroness
You can use the Clone Stamp and Healing Brush tools to get rid of the text over Ed. Though I'm sure you knew that already . . .

I could also use the blending, but that would turn his shirt a funny color. Embarrassed Sweatdrop My version of Photoshop is old too (v. 5.5, yes I'm still in the stone age! Sweatdrop ) So I don't have Healing Brush. T_T Or I can't find it anyway.

Wait...when I did this tutorial, I did it on Adobe Image Ready. But it works on photoshop too.
The Baker St. Irregular 11-27-2005 02:54 PM
Lately, I've found wallpaper-making to be great fun. I like to use anime scans, but they're raw scans, so I have to do the "extract" myself. I've found a neat but easy trick to help restore the black outlines around the characters after I extract them.

1. After finding a scan I like and doing some basic color adjustments, I carefully erase out whatever I don't like. (To see the original scan, click here.) In this case, it was the original background. But then I'm left with the annoying white pixels around the outsides. Drat! What to do to get rid of those ugly things and help make my extract look more professional?

2. Rather than going around and darkening the the white pixels with the Burn Tool, I do something far less tedious... I apply a Layer Style to help me. I double-click the layer to bring up the Layer Style window, and select the "Inner Glow" category. The Inner Glow style applies a glow to the inside of the layer, rather than the outside of it. Think of it as an inverted Outside Glow.

For what I want to do, I don't want the Inner Glow to "glow", so I change it so it is darkens, instead. I change the initial preset color to black and the Blend Mode to "Linear Burn". Then, I mess around with the other settings (the opacity, the choke, the size, the range, ect.) until the white pixels are covered up. Yay!

3. In some cases, you might need to go a step further and add an Outer Glow layer style in order to make a better or smoother black outline around your picture. I didn't need it for this one, but maybe you might.

And there you have it! An easy-peasy way to make your anime scan extracts look spiffy. Pleased

This tutorial featured as an example my One Piece background I've made. To see the finished product, click the thumbnail below! Big Grin

Asirt 05-21-2006 05:38 PM
The first three tutorials have gone through another update. For those new to image editing, check the newly redone tutorials. The changes are as follows:

Tutorial 1 -

- I've added a small detail about saving images in GIMP, which I surprisingly forgot to mention the first time around.
- Since there's some problems with dead images, I've put up new images. You will see new images pop up in every tutorial as I continue updating all the tutorials.
- Spelling and grammar should be better now. I've also tried to make the tutorial easier to understand.
- Used more defined terms (example: "Image window" instead of "Window with the image" and "Toolbox" instead of "Window that has the tools")
- Added a notice at the beginning of the post about my tutorials using The GIMP, as well as obtaining both The GIMP and GIMPshop.

Tutorial 2 -

- Fixed the link to DVD Decrypter yet again.
- Although there is a method for both Windows and Linux, both methods have been tested with Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS.
- Once again, new images are up now. They should look a lot better than before.
- Reorganized the tutorial to make it easier to understand. The process for both operating systems are now divided into two parts.
- Removed information not necessary for this tutorial.
- Grammar errors are for the most part fixed.

Tutorial 3 -

- Removed repetitive filters. There are now only four filters. I may add more when I see fit.
- New images are up.
- Spelling and grammar errors are for the most part fixed.
Asirt 03-08-2007 04:43 PM
You're probably reading through this thread, and is still stuck on a certain part. After spending hours trying to figure out what I typed up in my tutorials, you still can't find the "Selection" tool, or the "Color Tools" menu? Thankfully, I've decided to provide videocasts of my tutorials for all to view. I've made a test video going through the first tutorial.

There's no narration or sound in this video; you basically follow what the mouse is doing. I may provide narrations if need be.

Tell me what you think of the video. I know that the quality leaves much to be desired, but it's good enough that you can see what's going on. There's some slowdown in the middle, because I don't have a very fast computer. I think it will benefit from people who need more help with image editing. Enjoy!

NOTE! This movie is encoded using Istanbul Desktop Session Recorder and Ogg Theora. For Windows, Mac, and Linux, I recommend using VLC Media Player to view the file.

Tutorial 01: Making Signatures and Banners From Images [Beginner Level] - 5.25MB