The Grudge, a verry Ring like movie

Prons 08-01-2004 11:44 PM
Yea, so a while back in Japan a movie came out, named Ju-on or something rather. It was made by the people who made a little movie called, "Ring" not sure if anyone here heard of it, but any way they are like, making what appears to be an American adaption of the film... as they did for Ring... so any way, I have no idea when its coming out, but it looks good... its even got a Sadako wannabe.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/the_grudge/

For any who are interested. I have no idea when its coming out, I'm probably going to see it one way or another.
Green_Bird 09-30-2004 05:01 PM
Yet another Japanese movie remake. I haven't seen the trailor that clearly and the only time it was on TV I was out of the room, but from what I have seen on the computer. It is very Ring-ish. The Japanese one is called Ju-on.

Here's the website it's much creepyer then the ring website was:
http://www.doyouhaveagrudge.com

Here's the IMDb page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0391198/

And here's the plot outline:

"An American nurse living and working in Tokyo is exposed to a mysterious supernatural curse, one that locks a person in a powerful rage before claiming their life and spreading to another victim."

The only thing that gets me is Sarah Michelle Gellar's playing the nurse....but It looks....intresting....But that's what I though about the Ring when I was 13 and it scared the crap out of me! But have you seen the trailors for this or the japanese verson? if so what do you think of it?
Mugiwara Luffy 09-30-2004 09:55 PM
I've seen some trailers for this movie and I have to say that looks like the first truly scary and creepy movie I have seen in a long time. It sort of reminded me of Silent Hill for some reason. I think just in the general level of creepiness that I felt after seeing it...
M.S. Feather 10-01-2004 05:07 AM
The first time I saw the short TV trailer I thought it was going to be a comedy...heh. Embarrassed Sweatdrop
Prons 10-01-2004 05:25 AM
I had a thread about this.

Its time for me to go into Ring fanboy mode.

First off, Grudge was of course based off Ju-On, a Japanese Horror movie made by the people who made Ringu (I also belive they made Dark Water, which will come out in January in America).
I'm gonna go see it opening day and ruin everyone's movie experiance by yelling "SADAKO IS BETTER!" at random "scary" parts.
Ive seen trailers and images for both American and Japanese version, both look very exiting.

~Merged.~Pen1300~
Spooky 10-02-2004 12:35 AM
As silly as this is going to sound, I saw the trailer for this film last night for the very first time around 3AM, and it creeped me out enough to want to sleep with a night-light on Embarrassed Sweatdrop

What can I say? I live alone and a dark apartment filled with various noises coupled with a creepy movie trailer can be enough to freak a girl out!

Latah Wink
Token
dawnstrider 10-18-2004 03:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Token Girl
As silly as this is going to sound, I saw the trailer for this film last night for the very first time around 3AM, and it creeped me out enough to want to sleep with a night-light on Embarrassed Sweatdrop

What can I say? I live alone and a dark apartment filled with various noises coupled with a creepy movie trailer can be enough to freak a girl out!

Latah Wink
Token

Uh....don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm not a person that scares easily, but I will admit that when I saw the commercial one late night, the image of that boy-thing....meow-ing, or whatever, burned a hole in my cortex that carried over into the next day.....

As for the movie itself....I'm not a fan of "scary" movies for the most part, and ghost stories in particular, since I've found most of them lacking in any story or psychological tactics to scare people. As I've stated, I'm not jumpy, and the random thing-pops-out-of-nowhere-in-a-shoddy-attempt-to-scare-the-bejezzus-out-of-
ya style doesn't have much of an effect on me - well, except for the occasional baying, black-eyed cat boy Embarrassed Sweatdrop . I've heard much of the original Japanese movie - mostly mixed - and I will say that I'm concerned how the states will carry it over, since at the center of the story is a culturally-specific Japanese myth. Or so I've interpreted - I could be wrong though Smile . Either way, I have a long-overdue upcoming movie-date with a friend on some weekend, and since this is the only movie about which I know even a bit - that lets you know how in touch with television I am Sweatdrop - we might see it if it's playing Smile .
NVWC2006 10-20-2004 08:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dawnstrider
Uh....don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm not a person that scares easily, but I will admit that when I saw the commercial one late night, the image of that boy-thing....meow-ing, or whatever, burned a hole in my cortex that carried over into the next day.....

As for the movie itself....I'm not a fan of "scary" movies for the most part, and ghost stories in particular, since I've found most of them lacking in any story or psychological tactics to scare people.

I'm relatively the same, scary movies generally don't scare me, and I generally don't like them anyway. They are like bad comedies.

This one is different, though. It doesn't scare me...but it just like seems to grab at something in me. I find whenever I'm alone and there is an area in the house that doesn't have light, I expect a weird blue boy with an odd shaped mouth to meow freakily at me. It's like they had a genetic experiement to cross a cat with a giant smurf and turned it into a horror movie...

I'm probably not going to see it in theaters but if it's out on TV in a few years, at that time I may watch it.
Hienrich Ele 10-20-2004 11:42 PM
This movie's commerical is... weird.

I think that they flash an image between the frams of text. I swear I see something there. It looked like, from what little I saw, the face from the movie's site, posted by Prons in another thread.

I think that is why it creeps people out. That and that sound that girl makes when she crawls down the stairs....

I ain't easily scared, but this one did startle me.
StevieV019 10-21-2004 07:41 AM
Ever since I got a girlfriend (read: about 2 or 3 years ago) scary movies have had a bigger effect on me. Mind you, I stay cool and calm, and normally dont "jump" during movies or get scared. But lately, Ive seen thats changed....anyway...

Looking forward to The Grudge...Cripes, cant go wrong with Sarah Michelle Gellar..

"Ill take a little SMG...to go, please..."

Strangely, I really DONT know what the movie is about, but that it looks good and sounds good...Ill be there when it comes out...
Dude Love 10-25-2004 04:54 PM
Saw it. Didn't like it.

I really think there wasn't as much development as there should have been. In the Ring, there was a lot more development of characters. Additionally, all the "scares" in The Grudge were predictable. I could tell 30 seconds in advance what was coming up next. Overall, as the Chinese say, "hen zao gao"!
Prons 10-25-2004 05:09 PM
Man Sarah Michelle Geller speaks horrible japanese!

"Konichi wa!"

Oh, bottom line, Grduge is one of the best movies ever.
noTomato 10-26-2004 12:12 PM
so, I saw it on Friday and well.....O.O. yeah, I still hate scary movies.

*thump*

>_>

my friends and I like to scare eachother by making the scarey noises from the movie...i.e. *thump* , *agagagagagagagagagag*, *mreow*

O_O eep!
Shaoblane 11-15-2004 08:08 PM
That is thee question I'm having trouble answering.
Check this.
Hyped about seeing it, did this, nearly wet my skirt. What do you guys think?

[EDIT]
OMG THERES A KID IN THE CABINET!
Spoiler of above link:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/S...udge_kidcap.jpg

[EDIT]
When you find the cordless phone CLOSE THE WINDOW! OMG that was scary...

(Edit: Sorry, love, there's already a thread for that on the next page. I'll merge them for you Smile - 'strider)
Dude Love 11-15-2004 08:14 PM
I really didn't like it. I thought it was boring and predictable. I'd vote to not see it.
Serenity Wayneright 11-28-2004 02:37 AM
I went out and saw this with one of my best mates and I was bored out of my mind but she was scared to death, after a while I got annoyed by that stupid clicking/gurgle noise the dead woman makes.

I probably wouldn't see it again even if I was paid. Roll Eyes
Nine Kuze 04-05-2006 04:10 PM
Yeah... there making a sequel to the Grudge. Simply called The Grudge 2 and here's some news on it.
Peace.
seraphjei 04-05-2006 08:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Yeah... there making a sequel to the Grudge. Simply called The Grudge 2 and here's some news on it.
Peace.

Funny how Ju-on 2 only came out in 03 and Hollywood is jumping on the sequal only three years following the Japanese counterpart and only 2 years from its American predecessor. I have to admit Hollywood did do a good job butcherting much of the cultural context of the original replacing with a more American atmosphere(which is completely fine in this movie because from when I saw Ju-on I seemed to get a grasp of the movie without having to have much knowledge of Japanese culture.) As much as I enjoyed the orignial I have to say from watching the Japanese sequal, count me out for the American re-make, I don't see the same sucess of the orignial movie making a triumphant return.
088nd 04-05-2006 08:25 PM
Man, this reminds me of how much ass Ju-On kicked. Maybe I should watch the sequel (to Ju-On).
Mugiwara Luffy 04-06-2006 12:17 AM
I never saw the first Grudge, though I wanted to. I might see the second one since apparently it stars Amber Tamblyn. Whom I might have a slight crush on. Embarrassed Sweatdrop

Kinda cool how it's opening on Friday the 13th too.