[Question] Okay I am curious

Benjamin 09-29-2004 09:10 PM
HTML Is not allowed in posts, and signatures, and almost everywhere else, But why can't we have it in Our User Profiles, I already tried to those who want to, it doesn't work ^-^;?
Seraphim 09-29-2004 09:11 PM
Because HTML can contain malicious code.
Benjamin 09-29-2004 09:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

Malicious means?
Seraphim 09-29-2004 09:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigDuoInferno
quote:

Malicious means?

Malicious
Having the nature of or resulting from malice; deliberately harmful; spiteful.
- dictionary.com

EDIT: 3,500 posts! Huzzah!
Benjamin 09-29-2004 09:18 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

Malicious means?

Malicious
Having the nature of or resulting from malice; deliberately harmful; spiteful.
- dictionary.com

EDIT: 3,500 posts! Huzzah!

Hmm why is it malicious, Because its easy to do, or is it that most people don't understand it Big Grin .

wootness, 1786 posts Big Grin ?
The Fallen Phoenix 09-29-2004 09:20 PM
quote:
Hmm why is it malicious, Because its easy to do, or is it that most people don't understand it Big Grin .

What Seraphim means to say is that it isn't terribly difficult to introduce harmful coding into the software via HTML. I'm not much of a programmer, so I can't really confirm or deny that statement, but with the limited programming and scripting knowledge I do have, I can imagine it might be true...
Seraphim 09-29-2004 09:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
quote:

What Seraphim means to say is that it isn't terribly difficult to introduce harmful coding into the software via HTML. I'm not much of a programmer, so I can't really confirm or deny that statement, but with the limited programming and scripting knowledge I do have, I can imagine it might be true...

There are various exploits through Java and Javascript and the like which could be embedded in HTML. Many of them are caught by AVs nowadays, but you can never be too sure.
Krang 09-29-2004 10:35 PM
quote:
There are various exploits through Java and Javascript and the like which could be embedded in HTML. Many of them are caught by AVs nowadays, but you can never be too sure.

Yes, or even something as simple as a <noscript> tag can render the rest of the page useless. Annoyances and exploits like this are why we don't allow HTML anywhere on the forums.