The OFFICIAL Read Or Die Anime and Manga thread!

Mr. Fortnight 09-28-2004 02:27 AM
This opening post now will be used to update on anything coming down the pike regarding this series, and any interesting releases.

1: The Manga is out now! Volume 1 was released around March 1st!
2: The Manga's second volume is due in May. (Preliminary Release Target)
The Big Mo 09-28-2004 11:34 AM
They'll be airing the OVA Saturday, October 23rd at midnight (eastern time).
Tifaria 09-28-2004 03:47 PM
Well, they've been playing this commercial for some time now that has various clips from Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, Read or Die, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex all smushed together, featuring the leading ladies from each show. So I'd go out on a limb and say that yes, they'll be airing it. Big Grin I'm psyched, I've been wanting to see this show for a while now.
Green_Bird 09-28-2004 03:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tifaria
Well, they've been playing this commercial for some time now that has various clips from Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, Read or Die, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex all smushed together, featuring the leading ladies from each show. So I'd go out on a limb and say that yes, they'll be airing it. Big Grin I'm psyched, I've been wanting to see this show for a while now.

You for got Blue.... But why they had her in there is beyond me, because they are making it look like WR won't get a second run.....

But I alway wanted to see R.O.D.....Samething goes with GitS: SAC....so I'm happy that they're coming....but AS does not justice to anime anymore (Screw them and their nixing the WR 26 closeing and the 27 opening ways!)
Mr. Fortnight 09-29-2004 01:42 AM
Okay, how the frell then do I miss these promos? Do I not watch enough TV? >_<
Kittie heavenly6 09-29-2004 01:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
something about Yomiko that completely interests me...

Yomiko is totally my friend Sarah...
Schoolie 09-29-2004 09:38 PM
Everybody strap themselves in! Read or Die is shuper shweet! Grab your eyeglasses and bookmarks!

Top notch animation, music, and fun action-packed sequences. I'm ready!

(Once CN airs it, I'm also ready to discuss the ending with people to get their take on the twists at the end. But don't spoil anyone yet!)
Mr. Fortnight 09-29-2004 10:14 PM
Wow.

But really, this is probably the first time I've seen a heroine NOT wearing anything skin-tight or skanky...

I mean, Yomiko's looks like a librarian!!! Earth tones and all.

I do like that duster she is known to wear too.
pen1300 09-29-2004 10:21 PM
*GASP*

SWEEEEEEEEEEETTTT! I can't wait! OMGOMGOMG! My roommate probably thinks I'm nuts tonight! I'm laughing at ideas and now R.O.D. is coming! YES! I'm telling my friends! I'm telling everybody that I think would care!! LIFE IS GOOD!

If they edit it, who cares, I'll decide if it's worth buying then, and then I'll see it unedited!

And it's great to see a book worm character in a show!

LIFE ROCKS!

Later,
Pen1300
Asirt 09-29-2004 10:24 PM
This is good news indeed. I have never seen Read or Die before, and have always wondered if this was a good movie. I've heard some good things about the series, but I think I'll watch the movie first and see if it is really good.
Sharpshooter005 09-29-2004 10:38 PM
quote:
Earth tones and all.

Not...so much in the Al Gore way, however.

Um...I admittedly only saw...maybe..two episodes of the series.

Is yomiko even in it (aside from flashbacks)? Or is it just the three sisters, and nenene [SIC].

Or does she show up later.
Kittie heavenly6 09-30-2004 06:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
This is good news indeed. Big Grin I have never seen Read or Die before, and have always wondered if this was a good movie. I've heard some good things about the series, but I think I'll watch the movie first and see if it is really good. Smile

Later,
Trisa

Well, a word of warning. The Series is different from the OVA completly.
StevieV019 09-30-2004 07:13 AM
Shouldnt this be in the Anime News Subthread at the top of this forum?? Just wondering....
Mr. Fortnight 09-30-2004 12:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Shouldnt this be in the Anime News Subthread at the top of this forum?? Just wondering....

I'm not going to post any news without verification. Second, this thread is becoming a thread talking about R.O.D. I doubt anyone would like to see us hijack the news thread just because of our exuberance over a good series getting on that is not FLCL or Cowboy Bebop.
Schoolie 09-30-2004 10:31 PM
Right, the OVA features Yomiko Readman (A.k.a: Agent Paper) and her adventures with fellow agents of "Section A of Library Special Operations."

Miss Deep fulfills the role (and how!) of the female character wearing an outfit "skin-tight or skanky." But she's cool, anyway.

If you haven't heard of the premise, basically it's the agents of the L.S.O. investigating and taking on mysterious appearances of living versions of legendary/historical people out of books.

(Most of these legendary characters are Japanese or European people, so I didn't catch all the references. But I think one of them is supposedly the same character Goku from DBZ is based off of - the monkey king type character - of course, I could be completely wrong. Anyways, in an American version, it'd be people like Paul Bunyan, John Henry, Johnny Appleseed, etc. Okay, that's a bad analogy, but the show is waaaaaaaaaaay cool.)

I haven't seen the Read or Die TV series, but I think that series (which came second) is a lot different. There's a eyeglass-wearing character, but she's not Yomiko. And there are three "Paper Sisters" who have the same power as Yomiko from the OVA. I read an interview with the creator who said he was inspired by the Charlie's Angels movies (ugh). But I also heard that there are appearances by characters from the original OVA and also Yomiko might eventually appear in the series. I hope so!

All in all - the OVA is extremely well done and innovative with characters, plot, and action. It's basically like a three-episode series. I wish they would have done more!

But maybe I'll have to check out the series. Anybody know much about it? Or seen it?
Barrin 10-01-2004 10:32 AM
I got R.O.D. OAV during christmas last year (my mom had me buy it, then recieve it for christmas Confused ). Ever since my sister and I have watched it, she has been able to identify parts of Yomiko within herself and me. Really, we're kinda like her. Both of us wear glasses, have cluttered rooms, spend much of our money on books, and read anytime anywhere. We we go on trips, our parents yell at us to get our noses out of books and look at scenery. We read while in the car, while in lines, while we're waiting for meals to come, and after meals are done, we go back to reading again!

Still, Read or die is a gool series. The opening credits invoke a feel for some of the spy thrillers of 60s and 70s, such as you will see in James Bond 007 flicks and the opening credits for Lupin III (shown as a commercil on Adult Swim). The voices are believeable, the action within bounds, the charecters look great, and you get a minor literary lesson all wrapped up in 90 minutes. The DVD was rated 13+, so I see no sense in editing the series. The only thing they may do is play the opening credits once at the beginning of the first episode, and the end credits once when the whole thing is wrapped up. Also, that will probably be the only anime on that night. It's 90 minutes long, and being a broadcast station, they will need to add in commercils.
Asirt 10-02-2004 10:27 PM
Figured I'd post this info here, as this is about Read or Die:

Read or Die: The TV will be playing on G4TechTV! They run nightly at 12am ET/9pm PT and 12:30am ET/9:30pm PT. So if you have the channel, you can see the TV series.
Mr. Fortnight 10-03-2004 01:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
Figured I'd post this info here, as this is about Read or Die:

Read or Die: The TV is now playing on G4TechTV! Big Grin They run nightly at 12am ET/9pm PT and 12:30am ET/9:30pm PT. So if you have the channel, you can see the TV series. Smile )

Later,
Trisa

HOLY SNAP! CN gets the OAVs, G4TechTV gets the TV SERIES?!?!?

Must... resist... w00ting...
Asirt 10-03-2004 11:52 AM
quote:
CN gets the OAVs, G4TechTV gets the TV SERIES?!?!?

Yep. According to this page, the series will start this tuesday on G4TechTV. I didn't know that the channel was going to show the series as well, so this is great indeed.

I also look forward to seeing the OVA on CN as well.
Mr. Fortnight 10-03-2004 04:15 PM
Tuesday? Sweet. They were showing that insipid Gatekeepers 21 last night.

Seriously, how short can a skirt get before it's not kosher with dresscode? >_<

I'm sorry, all the fanservice that gets slipped into that series annoys me. Especially with the age of the heroine characters in GK21.