The OFFICIAL Read Or Die Anime and Manga thread!

angelcakes 10-25-2004 04:00 PM
I must say that I was quite pleased with R.O.D. I just couldn't help but relate with Yomiko. She's adorable! I stayed up to watch the whole thing...which for me was a huge accomplishment....though the ending confused me.

spoiler (highlight to read):
So...they saved the Nancy clone?

A little help guys?
Wingnut 10-25-2004 04:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by angelcakes
I must say that I was quite pleased with R.O.D. I just couldn't help but relate with Yomiko. She's adorable! I stayed up to watch the whole thing...which for me was a huge accomplishment....though the ending confused me.

So...they saved the Nancy clone?

A little help guys?

Yes, however
she pulled a Paradigm and lost her memory due to oxygen deprevation killing too many brain cells. She now believes herself to be the younger (twin?) sister of who she really is thanks to Yumiko's story of how she knows Nancy.
dominusofdeath 10-25-2004 04:43 PM
I thought they saved the real Nancy. Huh.............shows how much I pay attention.......
Schwarzwald 10-25-2004 07:11 PM
I thought that too when I saw the Japanese version in subtitles but then agian I didn't pick up in the Japanese version the American President wetting his pants so much.

Oh it is a sad ending. Not the saddest I have seen but still quite depressing... it is a great though... and a classic last sentence from Yomiko... and she once helped to save the world... fantasic. I think I like this series better then The Big O... and Yomiko better then Schwarzwald(although that iS VERY questionable)... but none can be said yet until we see the TV SERIES and the MANGA I hope comming to america soon.
Green_Bird 10-25-2004 07:19 PM
I thought it was accualy very good. Has anyone seen Read or Dream? if so how is that? I have to say that I'm hooked now....I read about it in animerica, and it intrested me, so I'm happy it came to TV. Tobad it was only for one night....but still it was really good. The funny thing is....I thought that when she showed up, Nancy looked like Faye crossed with Angel's Casey Jenkens disguise for some reason.....and it wasn't who was doing the voice eather....

quote:
Originally posted by DominusofDeath

I thought they saved the real Nancy. Huh.............shows how much I pay attention.......

Given what Yomiko said, it was the clone. Basicly it would be hard to save the real Nacy....so they saved the clone......
AndroidZeroX 10-25-2004 07:32 PM
well i decided to wait til the 3 oclock one, but i was way too tired then, so i gave up. I really wanted to see it, is there any way i can see it now?
Green_Bird 10-25-2004 07:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AndroidZeroX
well i decided to wait til the 3 oclock one, but i was way too tired then, so i gave up. I really wanted to see it, is there any way i can see it now?

You could just rent the DVD.....or buy it.....eather way...it's good....
BabyGhia 10-25-2004 08:14 PM
I liked it. I wished that they had explained how they got the power and a little bit more about some of the background but still a good story. I taped it so I might watch it again.

Though I do have to say... Crispin Freeman with a British accent??? Not bad. Drooling

Big Grin

BabyGhia
Mr. Fortnight 10-25-2004 08:25 PM
Okay, the person saved was the clone. You see, the room that was flooded with water where the clone drowned was part of the lower stage of that doomsday rocket. So it was discarded with the clone inside. Still giving that clone a chance. But because she was unconcious/dead for so long, when she was revived, she probably suffered permanent brain damage. So, that's Nancy 2.0 at that resort/holding facility/hospital. I could tell it was brain damage caused amnesia because of the sudden change in maturity and personality.

So, there ya go. ^_^
pen1300 10-25-2004 09:21 PM
DUDE! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I felt was a disappointment was the "love" thing. Otherwise, I really enjoyed Read or Die.

I really enjoyed Yumiko constantly asking "Can I have my book back now?" and all the other various things book related! Immortal Beloved is a movie about Beethoven. Also, there were some ohter book related things that I noticed which was so COOL! I enjoyed Read or Die immensely!

I willingly stayed up until 2:00 AM Sunday. It was great. Big Grin

I want to see the series and I want the manga, and the merchandise. Yay! Something else to waste money on. Big Grin

Later,
Pen1300 Smile )
Wingnut 10-25-2004 10:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
Okay, the person saved was the clone. You see, the room that was flooded with water where the clone drowned was part of the lower stage of that doomsday rocket. So it was discarded with the clone inside. Still giving that clone a chance. But because she was unconcious/dead for so long, when she was revived, she probably suffered permanent brain damage. So, that's Nancy 2.0 at that resort/holding facility/hospital. I could tell it was brain damage caused amnesia because of the sudden change in maturity and personality.

So, there ya go. ^_^
You didn't have to tell. They said that it was so themselves. I also thought they said it WAS the original recovered from the rocket. Also if your version is true Ensign, what happened to the rocket?
Schoolie 10-25-2004 10:24 PM
Yeah, R.O.D. is not for everybody - it's not trying to be something deep or anything. But the animation is beautiful, great music, and fun characters.

Even though the show's been on CN already, I'll hide just in case:
I had taken it as the Nancy at the end who lost her memory was the REAL Nancy from the rocket. Since she stayed in the rocket, she had passed out due to lack of oxygen in the upper atmosphere.

My question is, who is Nancy? Was she a I-gin (or whatever) from a historical book, or was she just a spy? Her conversation with Yomiko about love made me think she was "written" to be in love with someone. Or maybe she had just fallen in love with that bad guy historical character by reading his works, and maybe she was the one who stole their genetic stuff and made clones of the I-gin. I dunno.

One more thing on Nancy: Do we meet the evil clone of Nancy when she takes out the original Nancy (when Yomiko is tied to the water thing)? Or, when Yomiko says, "It was you!" is she thinking the evil clone was the one who kissed her neck in the plane? I dunno again.

Maybe I think too much (I know I do.).

Anywho, this is the first time I caught the bug guy thing - how he molted when he splatted against the billboard in episode one and became a boy, and then later when Drake shot him and he molted again into a "teenage" sort of bug guy. Drake is cool, BTW.

Okay, a question for anyone who has seen R.O.D. the TV series: I've heard that some of the characters from the OVA show up. Is this true? If so, can you give a short description? Thanks!
Wingnut 10-25-2004 10:29 PM
When she said "It was you!".
Asirt 10-25-2004 10:35 PM
quote:
I've heard that some of the characters from the OVA show up. Is this true? If so, can you give a short description? Thanks!

I made a post about that earlier. This picture looks like Yomiko, but I could be wrong. It's in the later episodes of ROD the TV, so it's not on G4TechTV.

Other than that, I have no clue.
IanC 10-26-2004 11:35 AM
Volume 5 of the dvds for ROD the TV has someone who looks like Nancy on the cover Shocked
Volume 3 ends on such a cliff hanger that im counting down the days to vol 4s release, which
apparently features Yomiko!!!!
Mr. Fortnight 10-27-2004 04:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis

So, there ya go. ^_^
You didn't have to tell. They said that it was so themselves. I also thought they said it WAS the original recovered from the rocket. Also if your version is true Ensign, what happened to the rocket?

The rocket was in several stages like the Saturn V rockets that were used during the Apollo program. Most of the rocket got discarded into the ocean (like the section Evil Nancy was in) while the final pod (where Miss Deep killed the leader of the I-Jin) ended up in orbit.
Buck Buck #1 10-27-2004 05:01 PM
I hope they show it again because I only got to see one episode Frown
Mr. Fortnight 10-29-2004 03:35 AM
Judging from the responses to the series on the internet, there should be a re-airing in the works.

Now if only CN would steal the rights to the TV series and rescue it from G4TechTV, I'd be quite happy with myself. ^_^
Gummibear 10-29-2004 06:44 AM
I really enjoyed R.O.D! Yomiko is adorable! I really love her outfit for some reason...
Mr. Fortnight 10-29-2004 10:51 PM
Well... it's simple, conservative on the body, and... well... it's cute.