The OFFICIAL Read Or Die Anime and Manga thread!

Mr. Fortnight 10-17-2004 07:32 PM
I'm just pumped because I've watched the TV series up to where G4TechTV cut it off. If I'm completely knocked out of my socks for the TV series, at the very least the OVAs would be good. From what I've read, I'm guaranteed that they won't be a waste of time.
Schoolie 10-17-2004 09:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nyarlathotep
Well, I saw one promo for it the other night and thought it looked vaguely cool, but you guys are getting way too excited about it so now I'm not so sure...

Yeah, I personally apologize if I've hyped it up too much. I have the Read or Die OVA DVD. So I'm trying to spread and share the love!

It's a great 3-episode show, but probably not ground-breaking or mind-blowing. Still, it's a terrific show.

But it's got beautiful animation, great jazzy (even some Henry Mansini-type stuff like the Pink Panther movies) and driving action music, along with some fun characters with innovative abilities. Plus, the action sequences are top-notch - from the dogfight above NYC to a hand-to-hand fight with Genji in washed out ruins at the bottom of a Middle Eastern sea harbor.
Mr. Fortnight 10-18-2004 11:19 PM
Yes, they pull out all the stops.

Would I be overestimating things when I say this'll be a roller-coaster ride all the way to the finish?
Asirt 10-19-2004 07:06 PM
quote:
But I also heard that there are appearances by characters from the original OVA and also Yomiko might eventually appear in the series. I hope so!

Unless the image is of someone different, she does make an appearance. I could be wrong, though.

I got the DVD of ROD OVA, and it's a very good series. I really enjoyed the action and adventure in this OVA. Quite awesome indeed.
Schwarzwald 10-19-2004 07:09 PM
I'll definatly be watching... I have already seen it in Japanese.... but I would love to see the voices they choose for the english voice actors...
heh and I just love and can't get enough of Yomiko's little smile and blush after reading a book. Big Grin
Mr. Fortnight 10-20-2004 02:46 AM
I just like her whole look for some reason.

I mean, you look at her and you think "hmmm, pencilneck geek", but then she flips out the paper and you're like "OMG Papercutzzzz!"

You just don't think that Yomiko's that dangerous.

Yomiko... *sigh* ^_^
Schoolie 10-20-2004 09:22 PM
Yomiko - her powers beside the point - is one of the most unique characters I've seen in an anime for a while.

Some people may dismiss her as a ditz, but she's actually just a HUGE bookworm who totally ignores the outside world when she's fixated on a book. Plus, she has a sense of naive innocence, but can still kick booty.

And the other field agents on the team (Miss Deep and Drake) play well off of Yomiko. It's a good mix.
Mr. Fortnight 10-20-2004 10:47 PM
She reminds me of my friend Shawn. At least when he's doing something. He'll zone out, and a nuke would go off and he wouldn't notice it.

But back to the topic at hand, 3 more days to go before ROD! ^_^
Document Oosha 10-20-2004 11:19 PM
The schedule says that episodes 1 and 2 are airing now, but I watched the beginning of the ep, and it had a series of disjointed clips before the opening credits/song. I'm pretty sure the first run didn't do that, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

It looks like the beginning of the story. So they're showing the same episode, but they added something before the open that was left out before? Can anyone confirm that the third run > the first run of this ep?

Shoulda posted this 2 hours ago, so there'd be a chance of getting a response in time for the 3 AM run, but whatever.
Schoolie 10-21-2004 10:36 PM
Are you talking R.O.D. the series? Don't get G4TechTV (dang!).

BTW: For anyone who saw the preview advertisement on CN last weekend - with the list of three of the historical characters and seeing them in action - did you notice the music? That's not by accident!!!
Wingnut 10-22-2004 01:12 AM
Indeed I did. Bethoven's journal is the first to be taken. It is also Bethoven's music that they are playing. Interesting and clever.
So just how much of ROD is there that is animated?
Mr. Fortnight 10-22-2004 04:19 AM
There are the 3 OVA Episodes, and the 26 ROD TV Episodes.

Then there are 2 Manga series. Read or Die, and Read or Dream (a less action oriented story, almost in the vein of a shoujo, set in the ROD universe).

1 Day and counting!
The Big Finale 10-25-2004 09:06 AM
Ouch.

After all the hype and such, R.O.D. the OVA was a huge letdown for me. If it weren't for the I-jin (who were by far the most interesting characters on the show in my eyes; particularly Otto Lilienthal, who was awesome), I wouldn't have even considered watching past the first part. On a side note, the paper airplane thing may have been cool, but it was also one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen.

Could someone else who saw it please tell me if I've missed something about this show that would've made me like it more? I really expected to enjoy R.O.D. a lot more than I actually did...
Raven 10-25-2004 01:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Finale
Ouch.

After all the hype and such, R.O.D. the OVA was a huge letdown for me. If it weren't for the I-jin (who were by far the most interesting characters on the show in my eyes; particularly Otto Lilienthal, who was awesome), I wouldn't have even considered watching past the first part. On a side note, the paper airplane thing may have been cool, but it was also one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen.

Could someone else who saw it please tell me if I've missed something about this show that would've made me like it more? I really expected to enjoy R.O.D. a lot more than I actually did...

Yeah I agree with you, I was kind of disapointed as well. Unless I missed it, there was absolutly no explination on how Yumiko can make paper like steel, or how that girl with the big rack can jump through walls. Another thing I didn't understand, if that dude with the skull staff was reviving people with their DNA, who revived him first? Plus, why would the good guys make a team of two girls with super powers and one guy who can't do jack sh1t?
Mr. Saturn 10-25-2004 01:50 PM
I have to admit, I thought it was pretty cool. The way it got hyped up here, I though it would be some n00b anime like InuYasha or Naruto, but I was wrong. ROD kicked some serious ass. I'm contemplating buying the DVD now....

Miss Deep.... Tee-Hee Tee-Hee.... Big Grin
dominusofdeath 10-25-2004 01:56 PM
I never payed attention to any hype. It was also the first time I had watched Adult Swim/ stayed up untill 2:30 in at least a month. I REALLY enjoyed R.O.D.
Wingnut 10-25-2004 03:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Raven
quote:
Ouch.

Yeah I agree with you, I was kind of disapointed as well. Unless I missed it, there was absolutly no explination on how Yumiko can make paper like steel, or how that girl with the big rack can jump through walls. Another thing I didn't understand, if that dude with the skull staff was reviving people with their DNA, who revived him first? Plus, why would the good guys make a team of two girls with super powers and one guy who can't do jack sh1t?

Actually the guy was special forces while seemingly useless compared to the others, his skills were very useful. Just because he doesn't have any powers doesn't mean he can't kick some ass now and then. Besides there is a character that can walk through walls in X-men, so why not here?
Mr. Fortnight 10-25-2004 03:45 PM
I think all those open questions mean only one thing. Either they'll be answered in the last half of ROD TV, in the Mangas (yet to be released here), or in some sort of sequel.

I mean, after all, you beat one villain, there must be some higher-up you can tangle with some other time. Right?
Sharpshooter005 10-25-2004 03:45 PM
I remember yelling at my friend over AIM about this.

"WHAT! THAT WAS IT?! THAT WAS AWESOME..I'M HOOKED, THIS IS LIKE A DRUG DEALER TRYING TO JACK UP THE PRICE OR SOMETHING".

It was really, really good though. More than lived up to all the hype I've heard about it.
Raven 10-25-2004 03:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
quote:
Originally posted by Raven
quote:
Ouch.

Actually the guy was special forces while seemingly useless compared to the others, his skills were very useful. Just because he doesn't have any powers doesn't mean he can't kick some ass now and then. Besides there is a character that can walk through walls in X-men, so why not here?

Didn't say it was wrong that she could, I was just wondering how it was that she was able to do this. Like in X-Men they at least explain there are mutants out there that have special powers.