The OFFICIAL Read Or Die Anime and Manga thread!

Document Oosha 10-03-2004 06:32 PM
I think the question is, how *long* can a skirt get before it violates some Japanese broadcast standard and has to be digitally shortened?
Schwarzwald 10-03-2004 06:34 PM
Oh yay!

But one question... is this the TV version or the OVA? Will it be on Adult Swim or Toonami(errr....what is it now? Megazumi?)?

I have seen the OVA and it can be a tad .... not toonami going...

And the TV version just got released in Japan I beleive. Or.... a few months ago at least
JAYCZero 10-03-2004 07:18 PM
I'm just Curious , but what is Read or Die about ?? what is it
if you don't read they Shoot you or something ? this reminds me
of Battle Royal in the Mangas Lol
Asirt 10-03-2004 07:19 PM
The OVA will be on Adult Swim on October 23rd at 12:00 AM. As for the TV series, as mentioned earlier, will be on G4TechTV this tuesday with two episodes at 12am ET/9pm PT and 12:30am ET/9:30pm PT.
Sharpshooter005 10-03-2004 07:38 PM
Oh, it's the OAV?

Even better, I haven't seen that one. Only the first few episodes of the t.v. series.
Mr. Fortnight 10-03-2004 11:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JAYCZero

I think we need a non-spoileriffic synopsys guys. I'd like to know, and so would alot of people on just what this show's about.
animefan22 10-04-2004 05:35 AM
From the G4-tech tv anime unleashed site:
PREMIERE DATE: 10/5/2004
NEXT AIRING: 10/5/2004 12am ET / 9pm PT
Read or Die: The Papers Have Landed
Author Nenene Sumiregawa's promotional visit to Hong Kong turns life threatening when she is targeted by a crazed bomber. Nenene's refusal to back down from this threat doesn't go over well with the police, but her determination is so impressive that she ends up with some volunteer bodyguards -- her guides, Michelle and Maggie, who are also members of the Three Sisters Detective Agency along with their younger sister Anita. In addition to being serious bibliophiles, the three sisters are also Paper Masters: they possess the amazing power to manipulate paper as a weapon! But will these incredible abilities be enough to save Nenene when the bomber slips through security and takes her hostage?
source: G4-tech tv ( www.g4techtv.com )
Sounds great btw. I've also seen the trailer for the tv series on my ghost in the shell: stand alone complex also and it looked great. I really wanted to see it after watching the trailer, but then I wanted to see it before that anyway. The premises of the series definitely sound like one of the more original in recent memory, even in anime. Who would've thunk it; an action series involving books and librarian-like characters who can control the forces of paper. I've actually had the OAV dvd for a while now, but for some reason never really got around to watching it. I think I'll just watch it on dvd before it gets broadcast on AS, but also watch it on tv too. I always do that for some reason. I'll also definitely be checking out the tv series on g4-techtv starting tomorrow. I've heard only great things about both.
Schoolie 10-04-2004 12:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
quote:
Originally posted by JAYCZero

I think we need a non-spoileriffic synopsys guys. I'd like to know, and so would alot of people on just what this show's about.

I don't know much about the TV series, but I've seen the original OVA. (I posted a short description on Page 1 of this thread.)

In the OVA (coming to CN), Yomiko Readman (Agent Paper) is an agent for the Library Special Ops based out of London, I think. (At least Crispen Freeman is the VA for The Joker - Yomiko's commanding officer, and does it with a British accent.

Yomiko is totally obsessed with reading, to the point where she carelessly and mindlessly forgets about everything else, including action and people all around her. Her "power" is the ability to control paper - she can turn it into anything she wants, from a sword to bullet stopping cards to a giant paper airplane!

Yomiko's co-agents are Miss Deep, a sexy agent who can walk through walls; and Drake Anderson (I think that's right), an otherwise normal human who is a special ops/military kind of guy (he also likes pottery).

The basic plot is that characters from historical books/legends are mysteriously coming alive/appearing and causing havoc. Yomiko and her teammates travel around the globe to search out these mysteries.

There is mystery about finding a connection between these people, as well as acquiring two volumes of Beethoven's notes and original compositions. (Another mystery is why?)

There is a mysterious mind behind the workings, as well as a few plot and character twists, as well as diabolical plans.

The show's got fun characters, great action sequences, beautiful animation, and a brilliant music score and sound effects.

I think some of the historical/legendary characters coming alive have mostly Japanese cultural significance, so there's a little I think American audiences miss out on, but it doesn't take away from the plot much.

I'll see if I can post some shots of the show. I'm not very good at this. I may have to make a couple more posts for attachments. (Can anybody tell me a better way to do this?)

Anyway, here's a shot of Drake and Yomiko. Drake knows there's only one way to get Yomiko's attention.
Schoolie 10-04-2004 12:03 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts, but here's another shot of the R.O.D. OVA.

This is when Drake meets Miss Deep. It's also one of the funniest lines in the show.
Schoolie 10-04-2004 12:07 PM
Okay, last post. (Please, can someone tell me how to do this differently? I know there's a way to post multiple shots in the same message!)

Anywho, here is Yomiko and Miss Deep in the climatic action sequence in the first "episode" of the OVA. It's kinda dark, but it's a paper airplane dogfight above NYC with the German "glider king" - a historical figure who's name I forget.

Interestingly, this show was done before 9/11. I wonder if CN will keep the animation that shows the twin towers of the World Trade Center. Second thought, they have to - that's where Yomiko and her teammates land. We'll see . . .
Asirt 10-04-2004 05:54 PM
quote:
Please, can someone tell me how to do this differently? I know there's a way to post multiple shots in the same message!

You can only post one image when you attach one. In order to post more than one image, you need a find a image hosting site rather than attaching the image via PCF. Imageshack is one host you can try.

Those pictures you posted are cool. Now I can't wait to see both the series and the OVA.

quote:
Interestingly, this show was done before 9/11. I wonder if CN will keep the animation that shows the twin towers of the World Trade Center. Second thought, they have to - that's where Yomiko and her teammates land. We'll see . . .

That's interesting... Let's hope CN keeps that scene.
Mr. Fortnight 10-05-2004 01:15 AM
Just saw the first 2 episodes of the TV series on G4TechTV.

I won't spoil anything for you guys since the episodes will show again tonight, but WOW.

Okay, small spoiler.

spoiler (highlight to read):
Paper Masters? Wow. I actually like this concept!

Now if I can feast my eyes upon the OAV. I rally need to see what Yomiko can do!
Document Oosha 10-05-2004 08:45 AM
Are they showing 26 episodes straight through in 13 nights, or will there be a hiatus-type deal like with Last Exile?
Mr. Fortnight 10-05-2004 04:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Document Oosha
Are they showing 26 episodes straight through in 13 nights, or will there be a hiatus-type deal like with Last Exile?

All indicators point to a complete run, 2 a night. I think there'll be episodes on weekend nights as well.

Unfortuantely, the *bleep* either at G4TechTV or the cable companies that show it, have a REAL bad time of staying on the ball when dealing with schedules and getting them on the cable boxes correctly.

Last night, the first two episodes of BoogiePop Phantom were scheduled to be on. Hopefully people caught that brief blurb on The Screen Savers last night to find out about ROD's premiere, since G4TechTV hasn't been putting out ads mentioning it's arrival and when it'd be on.
pen1300 10-05-2004 04:07 PM
FWEEEEEEEE!!!

I've all ready told my friends and they were like "Huh? Read Or Die?" I'm saddened they haven't heard of it.Sweatdrop

None the less, a review on AnimeJump is what spawned my interest in it and the more you people say about, the more I can't wait to watch it! I just didn't want to sink the money into it (right now I'm broke though...). I have a feeling this will be something I'm going to love, PERIOD.

And I'll probably be the only one who knows of it/loves it save here...Frown

Later,
Pen1300
Mr. Fortnight 10-05-2004 04:35 PM
Hey, pimp it to your friends. Word of Mouth spreads VERY fast. It is worth the bling to buy. (Yes, I was convinced by only two episodes, if it was that easy to get me hooked, perhaps others will too.)
animefan22 10-05-2004 04:38 PM
Just watched the first two episodes, well, more like 1 and 1/4 since I forgot and only caught about the last 10 minutes of the first episode. Mad
But anyway, what I did see was pretty good stuff. This show is also pretty hilarious. I found myself laughing a lot, especially in the second episode, which pretty much dealt only with the three sisters trying to find a place to stay, and when they finally decide on barging into nenene's house, humor and chaos ensue. When they first barged in and were all doing their own thing though, that was pretty hilarious, and then nenene, if that's the author's name, went crazy, lol. Priceless stuff. The action scenes, at least the last few minutes of the first episode also looked awesome. The animation in this series is really great, and the whole paper concept is brilliant. Who ever knew paper could be so useful in terroristic situations? lol
Mr. Fortnight 10-06-2004 12:25 AM
Word.

Oh, and did you catch the quiet sister's little pet when she was hunting back down Nenene's furniture in Ep2? Definately Paper, Definately a Tiger, Definately NOT a "paper tiger". /pun

This whole series is just... so unique, it just has to be watched.

Addendum: A library can be a dangerous weapon.
Sharpshooter005 10-06-2004 03:16 PM
quote:
Interestingly, this show was done before 9/11. I wonder if CN will keep the animation that shows the twin towers of the World Trade Center. Second thought, they have to - that's where Yomiko and her teammates land.

Homage to "Escape from New York"? Or am I reading too much into it.
Schoolie 10-06-2004 10:10 PM
I don't remember (or maybe I haven't seen) that scene in "Escape from New York."

But in Read or Die, they land there - well - I don't want to spoil anything, though it's not that big a deal.

Okay, here's what happens (if I remember correctly):
After the bad guy with the electric powers black-outs the entire city, the gang's helicopter goes haywire, and they barely make it onto the top of one of the towers before the helicopter plummets below.