Stolen Account?

X Prime 10-03-2004 11:16 AM
The only thing I can come up with is a brute force password program... Pity I don't know where to get those. That, and it's pretty much illegal.
Shredder 10-05-2004 10:47 PM
I'm not asking anyone to do anything illegal. I'm giving my permission to hack my Yahoo account, not suggest they hack anyone else!
Seraphim 10-06-2004 05:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
I'm giving my permission to hack my Yahoo account

I get the sneaking suspicion that Yahoo wouldn't like that very much.
Almasy 10-06-2004 09:26 AM
Stolen Account? That's a shame...

Why don't you just make a new Yahoo account? Now that everyone knows the previous account isn't you, it won't matter if they get wierd e-mails/IMs from "Shredder" since people know it's just some hacker.

If you get a new account, then all your problems are solved, and nothing illegal has to be done in the process (i.e. re-hacking your account, which, as someone else pointed out, Yahoo probably wouldn't appreciate).

-A
Travis Bickle 10-06-2004 09:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Almasy
Stolen Account? That's a shame...

Why don't you just make a new Yahoo account? Now that everyone knows the previous account isn't you, it won't matter if they get wierd e-mails/IMs from "Shredder" since people know it's just some hacker.

If you get a new account, then all your problems are solved, and nothing illegal has to be done in the process (i.e. re-hacking your account, which, as someone else pointed out, Yahoo probably wouldn't appreciate).

-A

Ever stop and think for a second, Alex, that he needs it for a reason?
Almasy 10-06-2004 11:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Ever stop and think for a second, Alex, that he needs it for a reason?

Shredder has already expressed that he does not want anything done on his behalf that is illegal. Getting someone else to "re-hack" his account sounds pretty illegal to me, even though it's his own account, just because hacking in general is pretty illegal.

So, I was just trying to suggest an alternative legal solution. From what I've seen, Shredder's main concern is that he doesn't want people to think that the account which was stolen is still him (in case the hacker sends people wierd e-mails/IMs). That's why I suggested getting a new account, and making it known to everyone that the new account is Shredder, and that the old one is just some hacker. ^__^
evanASF27 10-06-2004 11:27 AM
One flaw in that plan. What about the emails that were already in that account? The fanfics, and the email addresses, and anything else that might be there.

Just giving up an account that has stuff in it to a hacker isn't a really comforting thought.

Either way, he wants the account back. So unless you have a better surefire legal idea, then he's probably going to stick with this one.
Almasy 10-06-2004 03:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
So unless you have a better surefire legal idea, then he's probably going to stick with this one.

Well, that's the point. There doesn't seem to be any "legal" way to regain control of the account. So far, the only thing that has been mentioned has been to "re-hack" the account. However, even though Shredder suggested that people should do that, and that he gave them permission to, he also stressed that he does NOT want anyone to do anything on his behalf that is illegal. Now, I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that any form of hacking is illegal. If it isn't, then it should be.

As for the e-mails people have sent Shredder containing fanfics and other site content, well those can easily be re-sent to Shredder's new e-mail (assuming he's already created a new account).

So, I guess what it boils down to is that Shredder could have other people do illegal things for him (like re-hack his account) which he has pretty much stressed that he does not want, or he could do something that is NOT illegal, such as my suggestion (forget about the hacked account, and make a new one).

Though, like I said, I'm not 100% sure whether or not hacking is illegal, and maybe if you explain your situation to the Yahoo staff or something, they would allow you to re-hack your account, or, even better, they might even be able to help you get your account back! Have you tried calling some phone number that gets you through to some kind of Yahoo Messenger technical support or something?
Shredder 10-06-2004 11:03 PM
I've already created a new account, so from now on, all fanfics etc sent to me will be going to the new one. But like Evan said, there was some other stuff in that account that was important to me, including emails from people who aren't forum members (some people who send fanfics or other works are just fans of the site, not members here). So, unfortunately, not everyone would know it's not me and even people who do might be confused if they get something from "Shredder." I'll probably just give up soon anyway, since it doesn't seem to be possible to get into the account and Yahoo is of little help (I've already emailed them twice). Thanks, though, for everyone's suggestions, and I'll let you know if anything changes.
Krang 10-06-2004 11:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Almasy
Though, like I said, I'm not 100% sure whether or not hacking is illegal, and maybe if you explain your situation to the Yahoo staff or something, they would allow you to re-hack your account, or, even better, they might even be able to help you get your account back! Have you tried calling some phone number that gets you through to some kind of Yahoo Messenger technical support or something?

Just wanted to add a few things. First, Yahoo won't do anything if you don't know the birthdate and ZIP code associated with your account. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but back when Shredder signed up for his account, he used different information, because back then, you were able to change your information freely. Now Yahoo changed their policy so that you can't even look at the information you have on file, so we are unable to remember which information he used during signup.

Second, there is a distinction between "cracking" (which is illegal) and "hacking." Here are some links to show you the difference:
http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/h/hacker.html
http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/C/crack.html

If someone helped Shredder regain his account, it would be "hacking," not "cracking," since no harm is done to anyone in the process. See the difference?
Almasy 10-06-2004 11:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
There is a distinction between "cracking" (which is illegal) and "hacking." Here are some links to show you the difference:
http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/h/hacker.html
http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/C/crack.html

If someone helped Shredder regain his account, it would be "hacking," not "cracking," since no harm is done to anyone in the process. See the difference?

Oh, I see now. I didn't even know there was such a thing as "cracking"...I had only ever heard of "hacking" before. Thanks for the info.
Madcat584 10-11-2004 01:00 AM
hm
maybe if u email the old account so much u can force him to tell you
Fujiko 10-12-2004 03:55 PM
i don't think that'll work. They'll most likely put him in the junk e-mail list