Great Bands you've never heard of

Buck Buck #1 11-15-2004 02:28 PM
I just thought of two more Belle and Sebastian and The Pixies. More people have probably heard of the Pixies but they are both great bands. Belle and Sebastian's music is very mellow and melodic while the Pixies are louder more rock.
Mike 11-15-2004 07:24 PM
Has anybody else ever heard of this band? It's made up of people from 5 other punk bands, and all they do are covers. REALLY AWESOME covers. Of everything. There's one of all Broadway showtunes. Their first few albums were actually vinyl singles with a- and b-sides but lately they've had full CDs.

Edit...on second thought, I should have just put this in the "great bands you've never heard of" thread.
AndroidZeroX 11-15-2004 07:36 PM
Children of Bodom is another great heavy metal band, they have a real unique sound with some techno in it
Exhale Saga 11-15-2004 08:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AndroidZeroX
Children of Bodom is another great heavy metal band, they have a real unique sound with some techno in it

The bands you have said (Dream Theater, Opeth, and Children of Bodom.) are actually quite know. To metal fans, at least. When somebody asks me, "What's your favorite band?" and I reply, "Iron Maiden" it annoys that give me one of these two responses: "Iron Maiden?" or, "Do you mean Iron Man by Ozzy?" It seems that meatl has been forgotten over the yaers because people think it's nothing but screaming.

Dream Theater, Opeth, and Children of Bodom are all good, by the way.

See ya,
Exhale Saga
snapdragon 11-21-2004 09:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Exhale Saga

The bands you have said (Dream Theater, Opeth, and Children of Bodom.) are actually quite know. To metal fans, at least.

hehe thats always the case somehow ^^
if a band is signed and distributed, theres always some people that know about it, thank god for them ^_^"

quote:
When somebody asks me, "What's your favorite band?" and I reply, "Iron Maiden" it annoys that give me one of these two responses: "Iron Maiden?" or, "Do you mean Iron Man by Ozzy?" It seems that meatl has been forgotten over the yaers because people think it's nothing but screaming.

hmm worse than that, some bands can do nothing better than copying the old standards which no-culture-people find cool when its just forgotten hits re-played with less talent....well of course one can not know everything but sometimes its kind of obvious. anyway when someone thats supposed to like heavy metal and never heard of iron maiden is kinda strange O_o

a nice metal band btw is Mortiis. This is also the name of the singer who originally played bass in Emperor before starting his solo project which was sorta neo-classical medieval metal . nonetheless his last 2 albums disappointed lots of his former fans because hes playing sort of industrial metal now but i dont mind at all becuz i must say the new format is really cool ^^
AndroidZeroX 12-17-2004 11:42 PM
i got another one that will probably be known to metal fans, and anyone who watched battle for ozzfest... but ive been listening to them before i saw that, so anyone who likes dream theater of children of Bodom should give Dimmu Borgir a try... there like a norwegian rock band...like children of Bodom... but they have a bit more common tone to their songs, but they are really good none the less
Travis Bickle 01-12-2005 12:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AndroidZeroX
i got another one that will probably be known to metal fans, and anyone who watched battle for ozzfest... but ive been listening to them before i saw that, so anyone who likes dream theater of children of Bodom should give Dimmu Borgir a try... there like a norwegian rock band...like children of Bodom... but they have a bit more common tone to their songs, but they are really good none the less

Dimmu Borigr is awesome. However, they're more black metal than anything. They're also very odd, which is common for a black metal band. For instance, one time, at one of their concerts, they beheaded a goat, threw it's head at a member in the audience, and he suffered a terrible concussion and was in the hospital for several days.

Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia is a great cd of theirs, and their best song is, in my opinion, "Puritania", which was featured as the opening song for one of the CKY videos.

For those of you playing at home, Black Metal is basically death meal but with synthesizers, keyboards, and either really high pitched or deep vocals. Also, back in the day, in Eurpoe, black metal bands used to go out and kill rival black metal band members and burn down churches. Kinda strange, eh?
xana_fae 01-12-2005 02:04 PM
-Dead Can Dance
-Flaming Lips
- Steriophonics
-Andy Stochansky
-Edie Brickell and New Bohemians
- Blue Man Group
-Enya
-The Todies
AndroidZeroX 01-12-2005 09:27 PM
Three bands who were in Battle for Ozzfest that kicked ass were

Cynder
A dozen Furies
Manntis

There all metal but u should check them out cause they all rock
Volt 01-13-2005 09:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by xana_fae

- Blue Man Group

I agree. BMG is awesome. I have their CD "Audio" and hope they come out with more stuff. It's really shocking when you realize that their amazing music is made with stuff lik PVC pipes and sheets of metal. Just the experience of listening to them is an incredibly original experience, but to really appreciate them you must see their show. I've seen it twice in Vegas and it blows me away. They have some of the most hilarious comic acts I've ever seen, and the music matches each act perfectly. The blank looks on their faces only make it more hilarious. I highly recommend them.
Another band not many people have heard of is Coheed & Cambria. I have both of their CDs and love every song on both of them. Their wide range of acoustics and the story running through all of their songs make them, in my opinion, one of the best bands out there. Thumbs Up
Travis Bickle 01-13-2005 09:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
quote:

- Blue Man Group

I agree. BMG is awesome. I have their CD "Audio" and hope they come out with more stuff. It's really shocking when you realize that their amazing music is made with stuff lik PVC pipes and sheets of metal. Just the experience of listening to them is an incredibly original experience, but to really appreciate them you must see their show. I've seen it twice in Vegas and it blows me away. They have some of the most hilarious comic acts I've ever seen, and the music matches each act perfectly. The blank looks on their faces only make it more hilarious. I highly recommend them.

I saw them live once. They were awesome and funny as hell. They did a cover of Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit on the pipes, which was amazing.

They came out with a second album after Audio (which was a great album itself) and teamed with other musicians such as Dave Matthews on it. It wasn't as good as Audio.

quote:

-Flaming Lips

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is probobly one of the top 100 albums ever

quote:

-The Todies

I remember them from when they started out with Possum Kingdom. I saw them in concert a few years ago. Good Stuff.
Kittie heavenly6 01-14-2005 03:21 AM
quote:

-Flaming Lips

I remember the first time they were popular
Travis Bickle 03-14-2005 02:26 PM
Anyone ever hear of Metric? Kinda synth-pop/rock. Good stuff.
enartloc 03-14-2005 07:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Anyone ever hear of Metric? Kinda synth-pop/rock. Good stuff.

their singer is nice looking,like some actress walking straight out from jean luc godard's films.very talented lady.

my ex used to love this group like crazy,are they canadians or something?i remember she put their name and canadian pride in the same sentence.(she is canadian)a group thats fun to watch,too.

i remember it's good stuff.too bad i threw their cd along with all the stuff she left when she moved out.well,bad time
088nd 03-14-2005 08:34 PM
One of my favorite artists is Elliott Smith. He's really unique and I don't know whose style I can compare him to. His guitar style is somewhat similar to that of Modest Mouse's, but that's about it. Here's a song: Strung out Again
TanookiJoe 03-21-2005 03:54 PM
One band I'm sure only I know (at least here) is Kyuss, a metal/stoner rock band that is just sublime. If any of you know Queens of the Stone Age, this band is a precursor to it. QOTSA is in my opinion the better band, but both are great.

I might be silly for saying this... but the Stooges. They're an incredibly important band, having a huge impact on both punk, metal, hardcore, and some would say industrial music, but they still have yet to acheive the acknowledgement befitting both their influence and sheer awesomeness of the music. Oh Well
Travis Bickle 03-21-2005 04:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TanookiJoe
One band I'm sure only I know (at least here) is Kyuss, a metal/stoner rock band that is just sublime. If any of you know Queens of the Stone Age, this band is a precursor to it. QOTSA is in my opinion the better band, but both are great.

I've heard them. They're decent.

The New QOTSA album isn't as good as the previous one. That's because it's missing Dave Grohl and their old bassist.

The Desert Sessions was also a precursor to QOTSA. It was a series of jam sessions in which members of several bands (including QOTSA) came together, did shrooms nonstop for three days, and played music. Great cds.

quote:
Originally posted by TanookiJoe
I might be silly for saying this... but the Stooges. They're an incredibly important band, having a huge impact on both punk, metal, hardcore, and some would say industrial music, but they still have yet to acheive the acknowledgement befitting both their influence and sheer awesomeness of the music. Oh Well

The Stooges are amazing. I've been a fan of them for pretty much forever (I was raised on the good stuff). "You're Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" is my favorite track from them.
TanookiJoe 03-21-2005 04:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
I've heard them. They're decent.

The New QOTSA album isn't as good as the previous one. That's because it's missing Dave Grohl and their old bassist.

The Desert Sessions was also a precursor to QOTSA. It was a series of jam sessions in which members of several bands (including QOTSA) came together, did shrooms nonstop for three days, and played music. Great cds.

I don't really like people saying that the lack of Grohl or Nick Oliveri is going to doom QOTSA. The band's make-up changes with every CD, so if the new CD isn't as good as past ones, that's not the reason. Neither Grohl or Oliveri had anything to do with the first QOTSA CD, and its probably my fave.

But yeah, Desert Sessions rocks some major socks.

quote:

The Stooges are amazing. I've been a fan of them for pretty much forever (I was raised on the good stuff). "You're Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" is my favorite track from them.

Yay! All hope is not lost. Tongue
Generalissimo D 03-21-2005 06:30 PM
Anyone ever hear of Darling Violetta? They are a VERY GOOD BAND IMO! Their songs get a bit weird sometime but the music sounds and feels good. They do some songs for Buffy:TVS and the theme its spinoff Angel. Hear "I want to kill you" or "Ophelia". Those songs will rock off your socks.

PS:THIS IS MY 200th POST! HURRAH!
David Ryder 12-10-2005 12:52 PM
I'm not sure if folks have heard of some of these guys, gonzo might have heard of them though. Anywho these are some of the bands I listen to of a regular basis.

Nile -Death Metal Band from south carolina-
Soilwork -Swedish Medlodic death metal band-
Inflames -Likewise, see soilwork-
The Dillinger Escape Plan -Rockin mathcore band-
Cyanotic -An industrial Rock/metal band from chicago-
Cannibal Corpse -An extreamly controversial Death Metal Band-
Rudra -A vedic metal band from Singapore-
Samael -An industrial band from switzerland, finally got one of their CD's, good stuff-

edit: added a few more, might add more later.