Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne & Digital Devil Saga

X Prime 09-19-2004 02:17 PM
For the very first time, a main part of the Megami Tensei series is being released stateside. This shall be known as Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne in the US. It's technically the third in the Shin Megami Tensei series, and I've introduced The Fallen Phoenix to the first and second on SNES.

Persona fans will be happy to know that they are fairly similar, except instead of multiple humans who can summon demons, you actually get to summon the demons as party members, including some illustrious names such as Metatron and Bezeelbub.

Dante from Devil May Cry plays a minor role in Nocturne, but can be recruited as a party member, after you duel him that is. Confidentially however, he's supposed to suck badly.

----

Well, OK, I know less about Digital Devil Saga, except that you have multiple humans again and there is a skill system known as Mantras. Remind me to read up. It's a spinoff.

---

Both of these games promise FAR more difficulty than the average RPG (Especially DDS' hidden megaboss who is quite capable of beating the crud out of you and violating the corpse from what I hear). They're also quite nice looking in my opinion... See the main site.

http://www.atlus.com/smt/
The Fallen Phoenix 09-19-2004 02:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
For the very first time, a main part of the Megami Tensei series is being released stateside. This shall be known as Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne in the US. It's technically the third in the Shin Megami Tensei series, and I've introduced The Fallen Phoenix to the first and second on SNES.

Persona fans will be happy to know that they are fairly similar, except instead of multiple humans who can summon demons, you actually get to summon the demons as party members, including some illustrious names such as Metatron and Bezeelbub.

Dante from Devil May Cry plays a minor role in Nocturne, but can be recruited as a party member, after you duel him that is. Confidentially however, he's supposed to suck badly.

----

Well, OK, I know less about Digital Devil Saga, except that you have multiple humans again and there is a skill system known as Mantras. Remind me to read up. It's a spinoff.

---

Both of these games promise FAR more difficulty than the average RPG (Especially DDS' hidden megaboss who is quite capable of beating the crud out of you and violating the corpse from what I hear). They're also quite nice looking in my opinion... See the main site.

http://www.atlus.com/smt/

Awesome! Big Grin Wow, this is another game that gets added to my wish list...there's no way in Hell I'm passing this one up...
X Prime 09-19-2004 02:23 PM
I wonder which of you will be able to guess who the old man is...
Buck Buck #1 09-19-2004 03:17 PM
I've read a little about these games, and both opf them look incredibleAnime Smile I really want to check them out. Too bad my PS2 broke Frown
X Prime 10-16-2004 02:08 PM
I'd like to kick this up and say three things:

1: Nocturne was released.
2: it is incredibly awesome.
3: It is also INCREDIBLY FRIGGIN DIFFICULT. I'm dropping dead versus Fiend Matador... Dear lord, Andalucia is OVERPOWERED...
AndroidZeroX 10-17-2004 10:33 PM
thought about getting it, but then i saw the fighting system and teh way u get ur party members. I was really thinking about it since it got so much hype in japan. I wasnt feeling the run up an punch idea, nor was i feeling the recruite fallen enemies as ur party members. dont get me wrong i think the story sounded great, but those little details i take into account when getting an rpg
X Prime 04-05-2005 12:17 PM
And this gets another swift kick up to the top for the following notice:

Digital Devil Saga is being released today! GO OUT AND BUY LOYAL ATLUS FOLLOWERS!
David Ryder 04-05-2005 07:48 PM
I love the Shin Megami Tensei games. Heck I still even have the first 2 that where released over here. I'm happy too see that atlus is giving these games a chance. Alright I managed too pick this up and it's simply amazing. I'm glad they are releasing DDS2 later this year. ^^
Travis Bickle 06-09-2005 09:04 AM
I picked up Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne yesterday. I have yet to play more than 30 minutes in it (let alone save), but so far, it seems much different than the average RPG.
X Prime 06-12-2005 12:47 PM
Hm. You're awfully lucky... I'm stunned copies still exist.

Well, you can call me if you have problems. After a certain point I slaughtered the game.
David Ryder 01-06-2006 02:55 PM
quote:
I'm stunned copies still exist.

The EB games at the mall near my house has a few (one of which I got.) Also Atlus is working on MegaTen online (not the awful XBOX one) but an actual online one for PS2 and PC I've heard. Also Nocturne is amazing, the difficulty like the past games varys....at one moment I pretty much own anything, then get dropped but that's typical of the MegaTen games, I even still play Persona I and II. loves em.