[Suggestion] Splitting the Fan Fiction section

Pygmalion 09-17-2004 07:57 AM
It is taking longer to scroll through the list of stories in the fanfiction section, and I'm concerned that we may be intimidating potential contributors with the bulk of writing already here. Therefore, I propose we should consider splitting the page. Three groupings I've thought of are

- by length: one page for poems and one-page stories, and another for longer works

- by type: humor, drama, romance, etc.

- by author.

Pygmalion
Krang 09-17-2004 10:37 PM
Yep, that's a good idea, since I've noticed that it's getting too long, also. It wouldn't be a problem for me to reorder them, so I'll talk it over with Shredder about which order would work out best.
Shredder 09-18-2004 09:29 PM
I've been looking into this myself and I think the easiest thing would be to list them by author name (as we have the fan art section), but I'm not sure this would be helpful to people stopping by for the first time to read fanfics. What I'm thinking might work better is dividing them up into relevant categories, maybe something like this (to help avoid problems with mixed-genre fics):

-Poety
-Roger/Dorothy Relationship (it's a popular theme and people have dealt with it in different ways)
-Mystery (we have a few stories of a mysterious figure appearing, can also include stories that are intentionally ambiguous until the end)
-Cross Overs
-Humor
-Alternate Universe (includes "what if" stories and those that have a different take on things)
-Based on Episodes (I need a better wording for this, it includes those that go into what might have been going on in a character's mind during certain eps)

Any suggestions (especially from fanfic authors) would be great. Keep in mind I haven't finished going through all the fics, so there may be more categories if I see other patterns.
Christina Perry 09-18-2004 09:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
I've been looking into this myself and I think the easiest thing would be to list them by author name (as we have the fan art section), but I'm not sure this would be helpful to people stopping by for the first time to read fanfics. What I'm thinking might work better is dividing them up into relevant categories, maybe something like this (to help avoid problems with mixed-genre fics):

-Poety
-Roger/Dorothy Relationship (it's a popular theme and people have dealt with it in different ways)
-Mystery (we have a few stories of a mysterious figure appearing, can also include stories that are intentionally ambiguous until the end)
-Cross Overs
-Humor
-Alternate Universe (includes "what if" stories and those that have a different take on things)
-Based on Episodes (I need a better wording for this, it includes those that go into what might have been going on in a character's mind during certain eps)

Any suggestions (especially from fanfic authors) would be great. Keep in mind I haven't finished going through all the fics, so there may be more categories if I see other patterns.

I Totally agreed with you, Shredder. I think that's a good idea.
Lady Tesser 09-19-2004 12:21 PM
The categories sound good as they are. I think you covered it rather well, Shredder.

'Based On' Category would be best described as 'Episodes'. They took place in the actual episode, as you said, the only difference is the amount of information offered in them.
Pygmalion 09-19-2004 01:02 PM
quote:

How about calling this "Episode Interpolations"?

Pygmalion
Lady Tesser 09-19-2004 01:06 PM
Auntie Pyg wins at Scrabble again. ^_^

I vote for 'Episode Interpolations', too.
Wingnut 09-19-2004 01:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
quote:

How about calling this "Episode Interpolations"?

Pygmalion

I donno. Even I don't know what that means.

Mabye just break it down by genre, and haveing one of those genres being character insights or something. Confused
Mr. Fortnight 09-27-2004 04:48 PM
My take on it:

The fanfictions should be a sub category at Smith Mansion (called the library).

There should be seperate sub-forums within the library. For instance, one for ongoing stories (Stories with more than one chapter), one for one-shot stories, one for the "Episode Interpolations", and one for non-canon fan-fictions.

There should also be a sub-cat within the library for critique and opinions on the stories in the library. This way, people's opinions don't clutter up the fictions being written.

Since there's only one sub-forum in the Smith Mansion (The MFL), there should be room for a second sub-forum.
Dude Love 09-27-2004 04:59 PM
I'm really not liking the idea of downgrading Nightingale. I already find it annoying to go into sub-forums. Why would you want to make a major part of Paradigm a sub-forum when, realistically, they're not all too related. Plus, this would create confusion in that "Where'd Nightingale go?"
The Fallen Phoenix 09-27-2004 05:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
I'm really not liking the idea of downgrading Nightingale. I already find it annoying to go into sub-forums. Why would you want to make a major part of Paradigm a sub-forum when, realistically, they're not all too related. Plus, this would create confusion in that "Where'd Nightingale go?"

I certainly agree. Besides, you're really breaking it down since we're not just talking about a single sub-category, but sub-categories of said sub-category. That's not organization: it's over-simplification.

Right now, I think the Nightingale is fine: the only sub-category I can conceivably see (for the moment) is one for Role-playing games, and even then it's certainly not necessary. If Paradigm compiles a large list of fan fictions on the main site (as well as in the Nightingale), then perhaps I can also see a sub-category dedicated to critiques of posted fan fictions (both on the site and in the Nightingale), but again, I really think that'd be superfluous.
COHugh 09-27-2004 06:08 PM
I'm not certain, but I think they're talking about the Fan Fiction section on the main site... I think the subsections would be great there. For the Forum, however, I don't think it's wise for the reasons mentioned above. The afore mentioned categories are all good ones. I can't think of any better.
Krang 09-27-2004 10:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by COHugh
I'm not certain, but I think they're talking about the Fan Fiction section on the main site... I think the subsections would be great there.

Exactly, that's what the original suggestion was about, and that's the change that we're planning on making (although it may be delayed since Shredder probably lost some fanfics when his email account was stolen). The forums will not be affected by this change.
Zola 09-27-2004 11:08 PM
quote:

Actually, if you and Krang want, Shredder, I can help you design the table and queries so you can search by author, fic length, and genre. Krang will have to check my PHP syntax since I am accustomed to doing ASP, but the setup itself is actually very, very simple and I would be glad to do it. Smile