[Suggestion] Since you allow Forum Veterans to change their title...

X Prime 09-12-2004 06:57 AM
...Would it be odd to ask for the ability to change name without asking you Krang?

*Has an ulterior motive for asking... Namely that I switch personalities about once a month*
Seraphim 09-12-2004 08:25 AM
Hmmm. Interesting idea. I've always wondered about this with mods... can they change it at will, or do they just ask Krang but it doesn't have any restrictions?
X Prime 09-12-2004 08:28 AM
No, they can't change it at will, they'd need to ask Krang too.
Seraphim 09-12-2004 08:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
No, they can't change it at will, they'd need to ask Krang too.

Oh.

Hmm. Well, I think there should be a thing where the Forum Vets can change maybe every two months, but can do it in their profile without asking Krang/Shredder.
X Prime 09-12-2004 08:32 AM
Making it based on a timer would take way too much work. Just allowing name changing in Edit Profile however is another story.
Seraphim 09-12-2004 08:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
Making it based on a timer would take way too much work. Just allowing name changing in Edit Profile however is another story.

Yeah, I guess. I see no real reason to not do this. Tongue Sounds good. Thumbs Up
The Fallen Phoenix 09-12-2004 10:58 AM
I suppose one of the problems with that (at least, that I can see) is that by changing a member's name too frequently can lead to confusion, which is why Krang has these limits in place.

Allowing a member to change their username in their profile, like other message boards allow, would remove the regulation Krang is able to keep through having all name changes be done through him.

In any case, while reducing the time between name changes for Forum Veterans might seem to be a nice perk, I'm not so sure I agree with putting the ability to edit one's name in one's profile.

---
As for we mods...as X Prime noted, we do have to ask Krang, just as any other member would. We don't get any particular benefits in that regard.
X Prime 09-12-2004 11:54 AM
I meant having it only for Forum Veterans and mods only. It's pretty much assumed they'd have the maturity to use it in a non-confusing way of course...
Seraphim 09-12-2004 11:59 AM
Furthermore, your name might change, but your user ID stays the same...
The Fallen Phoenix 09-12-2004 12:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

And we all know every member is sure to memorize the user IDs... Roll Eyes I mean, it's common knoweldge that Seraphim's user ID is 1008 and my user ID is 213. Why not just make those our usernames? Then no one will be confused. Tongue

Though X Prime does make a good point, I still stand by my contention that it's simply easier to have Krang be in control of changing usernames because it ensures there won't be confusion. I'm not implying Forum Veterans would lack the ability to use this feature responsibly, but rather emphasizing that having all name requests go through Krang all but eliminates the possibility that it would be, especially as he notes all name changes in the name change request thread.

The system is quite efficient as it is, I just don't see the need to change it, that's all. Yes, X Prime's request might be more convenient, but conveniency isn't always the way to go...
Pygmalion 09-12-2004 01:15 PM
quote:

Where does one find this user ID? It doesn't seem to be in my profile.\

Pygmalion
Seraphim 09-12-2004 01:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
quote:

Pygmalion

It's in your profile link.

http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/prof...userid=536&sid=

Your User ID is 536. (Mine is 1008. I have mine memorized.)

EDIT: Hee hee, I won the race.
Dude Love 09-12-2004 01:19 PM
Pygmalion, you click to a profile. Then, look at the link in the address bar. This is yours:

http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/profile.php?userid=536&sid=

So, you'd be userid 536.

EDIT: *looks above and below* Seems we're all tripping over ourselves to help you, Pygmalion.
The Fallen Phoenix 09-12-2004 01:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion

Pygmalion

Hover your mouse cursor over the link to someone's profile. This will appear on the bottom of your browser:

code:
1:
http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/profile.php?userid=536&sid=

Where the number next to "userid" is your user ID, and correspands to what number member you are. In this case, I used your user ID, which is 536.

Some other user IDs:
  • evanASF27: 274
  • Tony: 504
  • GAT-X105: 235
  • Manji: 45
  • Zopwx2: 63
  • Lady Tesser: 171
  • Pygmalion: 536
  • Seraphim: 1008
  • Zola: 530
  • The Fallen Phoenix: 213
  • Krang: 1
  • Shredder: 2
  • pen1300: 48
  • Eos: 427
  • R.Smith: 103
  • Grunger Kittie Version 1: 17
  • Nein: 68
Pygmalion 09-12-2004 03:17 PM
My thanks to all of you!

Pygmalion
Surtur 09-12-2004 07:35 PM
I'm for allowing people to change their name in some way, it would allow people to express themselves better while freeing Krang from one more thig people ask him to do.

I'm not sure if this is possible on this board, but could we have a seperate account name and publicly displayed name? That way we can change the publicly displayed name whenever we want to, and if you're not sure who someone is just open their profile and check their account name. It would be much easier to remember than a user ID.
Dude Love 09-12-2004 08:17 PM
Another Issue: A big part of Krang previewing names is that he can filter out abusive ones (involving swears and stuff). Names such as Mr. Sodomy and stuff shouldn't be allowed on the forums.

Overall, this can be too easily abused.
Kittie heavenly6 09-12-2004 08:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
Mr. Sodomy and stuff shouldn't be allowed on the forums.

Damn. there goes my next name change Crying
evanASF27 09-12-2004 08:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Surtur
I'm for allowing people to change their name in some way, it would allow people to express themselves better while freeing Krang from one more thig people ask him to do.

I'm not sure if this is possible on this board, but could we have a seperate account name and publicly displayed name? That way we can change the publicly displayed name whenever we want to, and if you're not sure who someone is just open their profile and check their account name. It would be much easier to remember than a user ID.

Like Hyperboards. And yes, I don't know if we have that option with this system.

Anyways, I don't think it's a good idea. 1) Like it was said before, it can be abused, 2) changing your name too much can confuse people (even if you say you'll do it once in a while, someone else might do it everyday, 3) there are many users that have taken names already and we can't take names that are already being used.
Seraphim 09-12-2004 08:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
Another Issue: A big part of Krang previewing names is that he can filter out abusive ones (involving swears and stuff). Names such as Mr. Sodomy and stuff shouldn't be allowed on the forums.

Overall, this can be too easily abused.

Just to clear the record, I decided on "The Sodomizer" instead of "Mr. Sodomy"...