[Suggestion] Since you allow Forum Veterans to change their title...

Krang 09-12-2004 11:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
...Would it be odd to ask for the ability to change name without asking you Krang?

*Has an ulterior motive for asking... Namely that I switch personalities about once a month*

Thanks for the suggestion, but sorry, I think it should be left as it is. There are a few reasons for this:
  1. It could get confusing. There are currently 32 members in the Forum Veterans group, and if one or more of them changed their name, avatar, and sig all at the same time, it would be hard to tell who they are. With the name changes in one organized thread, if someone does that, people can look up the recent name changes and be able to tell who is who.
  2. It could be abused. People could choose a vulgar name or one that mocks another member. What's worse is that they could switch it back before a mod or admin shows up and claim that they didn't do it.
  3. Last but not least, name changing is hard on the database. If several users changed them at the same time, it could cause problems for the server.

quote:
Originally posted by Surtur
I'm not sure if this is possible on this board, but could we have a seperate account name and publicly displayed name? That way we can change the publicly displayed name whenever we want to, and if you're not sure who someone is just open their profile and check their account name. It would be much easier to remember than a user ID.

Sorry, but this forum software uses IDs to store user accounts as opposed to account names (like some older CGI-based boards).
X Prime 09-13-2004 01:20 AM
Yeah, I'll have to take this back after seeing what happened in a certain thread.