[Suggestion] Several Suggestions

Seraphim 09-11-2004 11:07 AM
Here are some suggestions I had.

1) Star of the Week - Every week, a random user above 150 or 200 posts (you know, just to avoid "inactives" being chosen) is picked to be the "Star of the Week". Their stars are changed to gold, maybe the same amount across as a Forum Vet. Then we make an appreciation thread about them.

2) The Lottery - Every two weeks, a random user above 50 posts is warned. When the next two weeks are up, the warning is removed and another is given.

3) Fifteen Minutes of Fame - Every two weeks, there's a 15 minute period where every user becomes a global moderator.

What do you guys think?
Dude Love 09-11-2004 11:22 AM
That second and third one would create way too much chaos. "Why was I warned?" "Because you "won" the lottery!" "Horray?" A warning is for someone who broke the rules and, sort of deserved it. And, if we made everyone a supermod for 15 minutes... "0MG! Iz c4n m4k3 4 ru13 7#47 411 5p34k 1337!!11!!" It would create too much chaos. Not to mention that someone might start editting people they dislike posts to get them warned.
Big Money 09-11-2004 11:33 AM
I have to admit that, though it is potentially a bad idea, #3 would be funny as hell...
The Fallen Phoenix 09-11-2004 11:49 AM
While the first one might have some merit, I can tell you right now that the third suggestion will never happen...being a moderator in and of itself is a privilege that isn't given out lightly, and it is a privilege that comes with a lot of responsibilities attached. Not to sound condenscending, but I do think there are some members who would undoubtedly shirk their responsibilites and abuse moderation powers for their own benefit. Wienberg mentioned some of them: editing other's posts and having the ability to edit the post in the Rules thread is just one small facet of it. Furthermore, members would also have access to a private forum that...well, they really shouldn't have access to.

Besides, if every member was made a Super Moderator during that time period, members with warnings would also achieve that status. As Krang has pointed out several times, a member with a warning or a member who has had a warning has no chance of becoming a moderator, period...

As for the second suggestion...that really doesn't sound like much of a "Lottery" prize. Indeed, the first suggestion "Star of the Week" sounds like a better prize for such an event, rather than a random warning. Again, warnings are supposed to be "awarded" for memebers who break the rules; I really don't think many members would appreciate be given random warnings because they "won" a lottery. Indeed, that would be a lottery I would see as a loss.

Like I said before, the first suggestion does have some merit...but the other two? I'd say Krang would sooner ban Shredder from Paradigm (or vice-versa) than actuate either of those suggestions.
Seraphim 09-11-2004 06:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
While the first one might have some merit, I can tell you right now that the third suggestion will never happen...being a moderator in and of itself is a privilege that isn't given out lightly, and it is a privilege that comes with a lot of responsibilities attached. Not to sound condenscending, but I do think there are some members who would undoubtedly shirk their responsibilites and abuse moderation powers for their own benefit. Wienberg mentioned some of them: editing other's posts and having the ability to edit the post in the Rules thread is just one small facet of it. Furthermore, members would also have access to a private forum that...well, they really shouldn't have access to.

Um, well, you must have missed the fact that it's only fifteen minutes at random in 2 weeks. It's not like anyone could plan it.
The Fallen Phoenix 09-11-2004 06:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Um, well, you must have missed the fact that it's only fifteen minutes at random in 2 weeks. It's not like anyone could plan it.

It doesn't matter when it is or how long it is. My previous comments still stand.
pen1300 09-11-2004 06:19 PM
quote:

1) Star of the Week - Every week, a random user above 150 or 200 posts (you know, just to avoid "inactives" being chosen) is picked to be the "Star of the Week". Their stars are changed to gold, maybe the same amount across as a Forum Vet. Then we make an appreciation thread about them.

*Takes breath* No.
Reasoning: "IT'S NOT FAIR!! Crying Why would this member get it over me??"~Random Member. And we've been through the appreciation thread bit: It's called SPAM.

quote:
2) The Lottery - Every two weeks, a random user above 50 posts is warned. When the next two weeks are up, the warning is removed and another is given.

*Takes breath* No.
Ever read "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson?
Reasoning: "IT'S NOT FAIR! Crying Why did I get warned?" Too many people would want to know why they were warned and there would be confusion about who was warned legitly and people would hate us...

quote:
3) Fifteen Minutes of Fame - Every two weeks, there's a 15 minute period where every user becomes a global moderator.

HELL NO! I'm sorry. Take a look at FP's post. He explains it and there would be WAY too much Chaos and we'd have too much to watch over and...yeah, take a look at FP's post. I think he explained that well.

quote:
What do you guys think?

No offense, but, I'm curious, where did these ideas come from?

Later,
Pen1300
Dude Love 09-11-2004 06:20 PM
quote:
quote:

It doesn't matter when it is or how long it is. My previous comments still stand.

Just to add, yes, you could plan. You can wait for the second week to roll along, and have everything prepared. The moment the 15 minutes begin, even if someone's unprepared, they can cause a lot of damage.
Zopwx2 09-11-2004 06:20 PM
quote:

What do you guys think?

I have a suggestion:

How about every month one person whose username starts with s and ends in m is banned from the Paradigm Headquarters forum.
Seraphim 09-11-2004 06:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
quote:
quote:

Just to add, yes, you could plan. You can wait for the second week to roll along, and have everything prepared. The moment the 15 minutes begin, even if someone's unprepared, they can cause a lot of damage.

OH, I made a serious mistake here. I meant to say that the the 15 minutes is alternated every two weeks.

I'm surprised at the vehement opposition to these... Frown

I knew the two other ideas might be a bit "controversial", but I thought the Star of the Week was pretty solid. Other forums have that, too.
Dude Love 09-11-2004 06:41 PM
Well, even so Seraphim, you know the date, you know what time someone's gonna kick it in (ie. the general time Krang and Shredder sign on) so you can just wait around. Even if it is different, it's still gonna be the same window.
Seraphim 09-11-2004 06:44 PM
quote:
Well, even so Seraphim, you know the date, you know what time someone's gonna kick it in (ie. the general time Krang and Shredder sign on) so you can just wait around. Even if it is different, it's still gonna be the same window.

Not, not necessarily. It would be some random time in those two weeks.

It's .001% of those two weeks.

I think it would be a fun little thing. No need to jump on it so harshly.
Dude Love 09-11-2004 07:02 PM
quote:
quote:

Well, the issue I have is that I can't see the possible you claim there is outweighing the risk factor. As has been seen as such members as el_w00t, roberts, and InvisibleHand, there are people out there who just want to destroy the forum. And, this would be the perfect opportunity to do so.

Plus, the problem with edits. Even if someone does not plan, someone can still capitalize on the opportunity to 1. Edit someone's post to get them warned or 2. Edit their own post and claim someone else did it (since Super Mods don't have the "Last Edit by ________" dialogue at the bottom).
Seraphim 09-11-2004 07:07 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, the issue I have is that I can't see the possible you claim there is outweighing the risk factor. As has been seen as such members as el_w00t, roberts, and InvisibleHand, there are people out there who just want to destroy the forum. And, this would be the perfect opportunity to do so.

Plus, the problem with edits. Even if someone does not plan, someone can still capitalize on the opportunity to 1. Edit someone's post to get them warned or 2. Edit their own post and claim someone else did it (since Super Mods don't have the "Last Edit by ________" dialogue at the
bottom).

OK, fine. Pretend like I never gave that suggestion.

Any comments on the Star of the Week though?
Dude Love 09-11-2004 07:10 PM
quote:

Don't mind it, actually. The only problem is exactly like what pen raised, which is people saying "Why wasn't it me?"

We sort of have this going on though (ie. Forum Awards and PCF Roast), but those haven't caused too many problems. I'm just unsure if it's logistically possible (and we won't know until Krang comes on). I certainly think it may be a challenge, though.
Seraphim 09-11-2004 07:15 PM
quote:
quote:

Don't mind it, actually. The only problem is exactly like what pen raised, which is people saying "Why wasn't it me?"

We sort of have this going on though (ie. Forum Awards and PCF Roast), but those haven't caused too many problems. I'm just unsure if it's logistically possible (and we won't know until Krang comes on). I certainly think it may be a challenge, though.

Here's what I think.

A simple script that does this:

1) Generates a random number between 1 and how many members we have now.
2) Checks to see if the member is above 100 posts (to isolate those 0-post users). If the member does not have 100 posts, it goes back to step #1.
3) Selects user - places it in a field (like just under the birthday or whatever)

Then there can be a thread called "Star of the Week" that's stickied, which is sort of an appreciation thing.
Zopwx2 09-11-2004 07:25 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

Here's what I think.

A simple script that does this:

1) Generates a random number between 1 and how many members we have now.
2) Checks to see if the member is above 100 posts (to isolate those 0-post users). If the member does not have 100 posts, it goes back to step #1.
3) Selects user - places it in a field (like just under the birthday or whatever)

Then there can be a thread called "Star of the Week" that's stickied, which is sort of an appreciation thing.

sounds possible.

Zopwx2 gives unentusiastic support to random star of the week.
X Prime 09-11-2004 07:51 PM
1 can be done, but it's just plain pointless. I say no.
Seraphim 09-11-2004 08:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
1 can be done, but it's just plain pointless. I say no.

Well, lots of fun but pointless stuff goes on (i.e. Forum Awards) so this isn't really much different.
X Prime 09-11-2004 08:20 PM
Except that the Forum Awards are a seperate forum and not an attached feature.