[Suggestion] Several Suggestions

evanASF27 09-11-2004 08:21 PM
Really? The awards aren't pointless. They are there to honor members of the forums that have achieved something(s) great. The awards are a once in a long while thing. Ever heard of too much of a good thing?? Implimenting your suggestions would do just that. And besides...would I really trust YOU seraphim as a Global Mod or possibly even myself?! o.O

quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Here are some suggestions I had.

1) Star of the Week - Every week, a random user above 150 or 200 posts (you know, just to avoid "inactives" being chosen) is picked to be the "Star of the Week". Their stars are changed to gold, maybe the same amount across as a Forum Vet. Then we make an appreciation thread about them.

2) The Lottery - Every two weeks, a random user above 50 posts is warned. When the next two weeks are up, the warning is removed and another is given.

3) Fifteen Minutes of Fame - Every two weeks, there's a 15 minute period where every user becomes a global moderator.

What do you guys think?

These are meant to honor the members of the forum in some way or another...however we fill that need quite sufficiently with the Forum Awards (biannual that is). So if those were made into a reality, they would be really truely pointless, and also risky. You wouldn't trust just anyone to be a Global Mod, even if it's 15 minutes, one person can cause a ton of damage in that time (like deleting a whole section worth of threads or doing other stupid things). "The Lottery" one is really pointless. Get warned for no reason...wow that's a cool idea. Most of us, don't want to be warned Seraphim...getting a warning is a BAD THING.

In my honest and most logical opinion, these ideas are not necessary and are (to put it bluntly) stupid.
Seraphim 09-11-2004 08:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
Really? The awards aren't pointless. They are there to honor members of the forums that have achieved something(s) great. The awards are a once in a long while thing. Ever heard of too much of a good thing?? Implimenting your suggestions would do just that. And besides...would I really trust YOU seraphim as a Global Mod or possibly even myself?! o.O

quote:

1) Star of the Week - Every week, a random user above 150 or 200 posts (you know, just to avoid "inactives" being chosen) is picked to be the "Star of the Week". Their stars are changed to gold, maybe the same amount across as a Forum Vet. Then we make an appreciation thread about them.

2) The Lottery - Every two weeks, a random user above 50 posts is warned. When the next two weeks are up, the warning is removed and another is given.

3) Fifteen Minutes of Fame - Every two weeks, there's a 15 minute period where every user becomes a global moderator.

What do you guys think?

These are meant to honor the members of the forum in some way or another...however we fill that need quite sufficiently with the Forum Awards (biannual that is). So if those were made into a reality, they would be really truely pointless, and also risky. You wouldn't trust just anyone to be a Global Mod, even if it's 15 minutes, one person can cause a ton of damage in that time (like deleting a whole section worth of threads or doing other stupid things). "The Lottery" one is really pointless. Get warned for no reason...wow that's a cool idea. Most of us, don't want to be warned Seraphim...getting a warning is a BAD THING.

In my honest and most logical opinion, these ideas are not necessary and are (to put it bluntly) stupid.

If you haven't noticed, I said "Ignore the other ones and concentrate on the Star of the Week" idea. What are your opinions on that?
evanASF27 09-11-2004 08:30 PM
quote:
If you haven't noticed, I said "Ignore the other ones and concentrate on the Star of the Week" idea. What are your opinions on that?

My opinion, still pointless. Gold stars for one person...meh you wouldn't get noticed much unless you outright said "HEY LOOK! I'M THE STAR OF THE WEEK!11". And plus, what if that member just happens to not sign on that week? It's a real likely possibility with school and such.
Seraphim 09-11-2004 08:31 PM
quote:
quote:

My opinion, still pointless. Gold stars for one person...meh you wouldn't get noticed much unless you outright said "HEY LOOK! I'M THE STAR OF THE WEEK!11". And plus, what if that member just happens to not sign on that week? It's a real likely possibility with school and such.

Well, there IS the other thing stated before that you didn't mention. A "Star of the Week" Appreciation Thread type deal.
evanASF27 09-11-2004 08:35 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, there IS the other thing stated before that you didn't mention. A "Star of the Week" Appreciation Thread type deal.

Still, not everyone would see the thread. You gotta make it worth their wild but still within reason.

*edit* in response to below
Not everyone checks all sticky threads.

*EDIT*
Btw...I agree with Pen on this as well...
quote:
*Takes breath* No.
Reasoning: "IT'S NOT FAIR!! Crying Why would this member get it over me??"~Random Member. And we've been through the appreciation thread bit: It's called SPAM.

Getting attention randomly and/or complaining you didn't get attention is spam.
((And if you happen to argue that the awards do the same thing, they do NOT. The awards are voted on by the people of these forums and they are also in specialized fields so that if a person won it, in some way shape or form they had to have at least deserved it (for the most part.))
Seraphim 09-11-2004 08:40 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Still, not everyone would see the thread. You gotta make it worth their wild but still within reason.

...sticky the thread?
The Fallen Phoenix 09-11-2004 08:42 PM
quote:
...sticky the thread?

Seraphim, evan made his point: he doesn't like the ideas. You two really do not need to carry on like this; best to just let it end now before the warnings start to fall, as this is one lottery you can very well influence...
Seraphim 09-11-2004 08:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
quote:
...sticky the thread?

Seraphim, evan made his point: he doesn't like the ideas. You two really do not need to carry on like this; best to just let it end now before the warnings start to fall, as this is one lottery you can very well influence...

Well, we're discussing the thing. He mentioned that people wouldn't see the thread, so I suggested it would be stickied.

...how is this fighting?
The Fallen Phoenix 09-11-2004 08:48 PM
quote:
Well, we're discussing the thing. He mentioned that people wouldn't see the thread, so I suggested it would be stickied.

...how is this fighting?

Discussions between you two rarely remain civil for long, and already I can tell this is starting to get more heated than it needs be. Just let it go, as there's really no reason to respond to every single point evan makes (and vice-versa); at least, in this case.
Seraphim 09-11-2004 08:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
quote:

...how is this fighting?

Discussions between you two rarely remain civil for long, and already I can tell this is starting to get more heated than it needs be.

So because we've had arguments in the past, any time we discuss something, you think it's going to turn into a fight...?

If you read the conversation, it's just talking about the idea. There's no hint of fighting there. (Where are the heated parts, btw?)

So, back on topic... I think this would provide another fun thing for PCF, similar to the forum awards.
evanASF27 09-11-2004 08:53 PM
actually I'm just about ready to yell at you seraphim. So quit while you (and I) still don't have warnings. Sweatdrop

(And FP knows me too well...so you better believe him the next time.)

*edit*
Right sure...all I wanted was to flame you for no reason whatsoever...that was sarcasm
Seraphim 09-11-2004 08:55 PM
quote:
actually I'm just about ready to yell at you seraphim. So quit while you (and I) still don't have warnings. Sweatdrop

(And FP knows me too well...so you better believe him the next time.)

...then I guess FP was right. I was trying to carry this on as a discussion about the topic, but I guess I shouldn't respond to you any more now that I know you're going to insist on turning it into a flame war.

No more talking about flame wars or yelling at each other here... just KEEP ON TOPIC.
Almasy 09-11-2004 09:11 PM
As others have mentioned, the last two ideas probably wouldn't work at all since it's too riskey to allow so many people to be moderators all at the same time, and whatnot, but I think that the "Star of the Week" idea is cute. It's nice to recognize specific members every now and then. It makes them feel special. ^__^
Pygmalion 09-11-2004 10:36 PM
Hey, if someone wants recognition, all they have to do is put their birthday in their profile. With rare exceptions, we have a birthday thread for everyone who's done so. Admittedly, some of us have to share (right, Krang?) but it's all good.

But I don't want to discourage you from coming up with ideas, Seraphim. It's good to have folks thinking of improvements!

Pygmalion
Dude Love 09-11-2004 11:52 PM
Well, my only qualms about the first idea (the only one that hasn't been tossed out) is that it's too random. You could be honoring someone for nothing. And that's where the forum awards are different, in my opinion.
Krang 09-12-2004 12:00 AM
quote:

This is the only one of your suggestions that is somewhat coherent, but it's still not worth the trouble or the risks involved. First of all, although it sounds simple, it's not exactly easy to modify the forums to do something like this. Sure, it's easy to write a script to pick who the member would be, but actually implementing it would take alot of time and effort, which would not be worth it for something so trivial. Second, like pen mentioned, people would get jealous of the "Star" and spam the forums with stuff like "WHY AM I NOT TEH STARRR!!!?!?!?!?!!!!11" etc. Not to mention the fact that the "appreciation thread" could quickly turn into spam or a flame war at any time. In other words, this suggestion would cause more harm than good, so no, it will not be implemented.

quote:

What good would this do? I honestly don't see how this would be "fun" for anyone in any way. Besides, in case you forgot, warnings are meant to reprimand people who broke the rules, not to play around with.

quote:

What do you guys think?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Wait, you're not joking? But seriously, I can't even begin to describe how this could be abused and lead to the destruction of the forums. This is the single worst suggestion I have ever heard.

So to sum up, no, no and no. And please try to use some common sense before making any more suggestions, as ones like these are just a waste of everyone's time.