[Question] What The Heck?!

evanASF27 09-02-2004 03:12 AM
Right now...at precisely 4:11am...we have 39 Guests at "Unknown". Is this a glitch or is that actually possible?! O_O
Kittie heavenly6 09-02-2004 03:18 AM
I think that means they are idling, and the forum software can't figure out where exactly they are?
evanASF27 09-02-2004 03:31 AM
I'm sorry then...I've just never seen/noticed THAT many guests being idle all at once X_x;;
Krang 09-02-2004 03:39 AM
The reason that there are so many guests is that we are being attacked by Yahoo's bots! Shocked

They should finish up soon, though, and the number of guests will return to normal.
Wingnut 09-02-2004 04:51 AM
I wondered about that...
Bots?! BIG OOOOOOOO! SHOWTIME!!!
R.Smith 09-02-2004 12:58 PM
So, why are they here, and what exactly are the bots doing? Confused
Green_Bird 09-02-2004 01:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith
So, why are they here, and what exactly are the bots doing? Confused

In a nutshell, they're putting us on search engenes....but it seems like there coming in waves....not just like one or two at a time, wich is kind of strange....I with Wingnut. this is a job for big o Tongue !
Hienrich Ele 09-02-2004 10:58 PM
So, after all these years, the robot overlords have finally come.

Well they won't take me alive!

This reminds me of my notes on the presentations of students in my Computer Programming class. People would lectures on robots, androids, cybernetic stuff. And I swear to God I used the word "Robot Overlords" around 60 times.
For example, on of the prime directives (not word for word)

1. Robots shall not harm a human. (Take that Robot Overlords!)
Wingnut 09-17-2004 02:56 AM
It's happening again. At nearly the same time. Either it is refreshing the content list by checking for and weeding out dead links/sites or we are rather popular (at 4 am eastern time).
Mr. Fortnight 09-17-2004 02:45 PM
The "bots" are stopping by for harvesting sooner now. I noticed 16 guests in a 20 minute period just sitting there, moving around the forums, around Midnight central time.

Indeed, as Stewie says... WHAT THE DEUCE?
X Prime 09-17-2004 03:32 PM
Krang could evoke robots.txt if he wants to avoid em...

Problem is, no search engines will list PCF then.
madclarinet 09-17-2004 06:31 PM
Correctly configured robots shouldn't hit sites with this much. Unfortunatly there seems to more and more badly set up robots.

The webserver I admin seems to going through a phase of being assaulted by Microsofts 'msnbot'. I'm almost tempted to block them from the site.
Krang 09-17-2004 10:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime

Yeah, I thought of that, but this is Yahoo's search bot, and since Yahoo is one of the most popular sites on the internet, I guess we'll have to put up with it until it's done. Too bad WBB doesn't have that phpBB 2.2 feature in which a special username is reserved for bots, and a limited template is used to prevent too much bandwidth from being used up...
X Prime 09-18-2004 09:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime

Yeah, I thought of that, but this is Yahoo's search bot, and since Yahoo is one of the most popular sites on the internet, I guess we'll have to put up with it until it's done. Too bad WBB doesn't have that phpBB 2.2 feature in which a special username is reserved for bots, and a limited template is used to prevent too much bandwidth from being used up...

Something like that is quite the hassle though...
Madrona 09-21-2004 12:13 AM
So how long do you think they'll be doing this?. I mean I log in in the morning and they are there( I'm assuming it's them) And I'm here late at night and they are still there. Not just the unknown locations, but the guest looking at the profiles. Earlier today I saw 4 or 5 guest looking at profiles. Kinda weird, don't you think? I just don't think we have that many real live guest.

Madrona
Kittie heavenly6 09-21-2004 12:15 AM
what I thought was funny was this morning when I was on, I saw them on so I Cheked to see if it was the bots. There was like 20 Yahoo bots, and 1 single MSN bot. Why did Yahoo need so many bots when MSN just needed one?
Krang 09-21-2004 12:38 AM
I'm not sure about this, but here's a guess. Since the "Users Online" list keeps track of anyone active in the last 15 minutes, maybe there's only 2 or 3 Yahoo bots that change IP addresses every time they index a page? The board creates a new session every time the bot changes its IP, so it ends up keeping track of 15-20 Yahoo bot sessions at a time (until the session expires and the process is repeated).