Rate the Movie

Nine Kuze 01-24-2007 04:05 PM
Just by personal reference, The Shawshank Redemption is my 13th favorite film (can't tell off the top of my head, but I'm sure that's right >_<). Anyway, Shawshank is noted for being one of the best films made. With excellent performances from Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins, Shawshank is basically about the hope and power of the human spirit when it is matched up and beaten by incredible odds against it. Also going for it is the incredible screenplay, the narration by Freeman and the surprise twist near the end involving Robbins' character.

The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10

Next film: Taxi Driver
Peace.
Inigo Montoya 04-06-2007 11:54 PM
Ringu(1998)
Summary attributed to imdb.com;

After the death of her neice Tomoko, reporter Reiko hears stories of a videotape that kills everyone who sees it exactly one week after viewing. At first she discounts the rumors, but when she learns that Tomoko's friend (who watched the video with her) died at exactly the same time, she begins to investigate. After viewing the tape herself, strange things start happening, and so she teams up with her ex-husband to try to stop the death clock that has once again begun ticking.

Okay, first off, GREAT premise. The Ring pulled it off brilliantly, it was creepy, it scared you, and it left you afraid to answer the phone for a few minutes after watching it. So Ringu, the original, should be as good if not better, right? No. Throughout the movie the main focus is on the characters' expositions explaining every facet of the movie. While cool for an episode of CSI, not so good for a two hour long movie. The ghostly apparitions and happenings, when they do occur, are subpar for the buildup they receive and leave you feeling... disappointed. The method they use of showing that Sadako has killed her targets, that of a sudden flash to SUPER CONTRAST BLACK AND WHITE, is basically cheap effect and excuse to not use a budget for makeup. In fact, that's what all the victims look like. They don't look anything at all like they died with "a look of terror" on their faces. They look like the director told them to make the funniest face they could and hold it for as long as possible until shooting was done. All this buildup, all this lame droning of characters...

You don't even really grow attracted to or repulsed by the characters. There's nothing to them. The little boy has a nigh autistic sense of slowness about him in his acting and presence, whereas the mother (Reiko) screams harshly at least once every two, three scenes.

Props for it. The cursed video was unique, and while not quite as creepy as The Ring's rendition, it was a bit more psychological. Sadako likewise was far creepier than Samara of the American counterpart, though admittedly she also did much less.

All in all, this movie is worth a rental, if it's available. Believe me, I bought the boxed set and I wish I hadn't. I'll come up with the review for the movie I recommend instead of Ringu tomorrow, perhaps.

Ringu, you're a little above mediocre, but you still only garner yourself a 6...

out of 10.
Nine Kuze 04-06-2007 11:57 PM
Dungeon Master, you know like the Rate the Avatar/Sig threads, your suppose to rate the movie that the previous person put down for the next person to rate right?

quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Next film: Taxi Driver
Peace.

I'm just saying.
Peace.
Inigo Montoya 04-06-2007 11:58 PM
Whoops, sorry about that. Completely forget everything I wrote. Now wait while I go figure what the hell Taxi Driver is and watch it...