[Suggestion] Increase sig size?

Green_Bird 08-29-2004 11:04 PM
I don't know if this has been asked....if you look at my sig, you'll see there is basicly nothing there....just two pictures, two links and a few characters. Well everytime I go and change my sig....like add a quote or change to a picture that has one to many letters, or something I'm always over the 300 character limit.

Like right now I'm only one character away from my sig being full up. But there is really nothing there...the addresses are whats sending it over....I mean It's getting to the point where I have to like name my files one letter just to get them to fit sometimes!!!!

So I think that Increasing the sig limit or finding some way, if there is, to make the addresses not count...because I would like to atlest put like a quote or something in there. and not having it go over....just an idea....
Dude Love 08-29-2004 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the sig limit is up to 400 characters on Legendary Members, but I'm not positive. About the number, that is.
evanASF27 08-29-2004 11:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
I'm pretty sure the sig limit is up to 400 characters on Legendary Members, but I'm not positive. About the number, that is.

It's "Forum Veterns". And yes it's 400.
X Prime 08-29-2004 11:10 PM
Wienberg is correct. Sig limit is 400 for Legendaries.

Personally, I don't see why your sig needs to get any larger...
Green_Bird 08-29-2004 11:12 PM
I mean sure...once I get 1000 posts I'll mostlikely apply for a forum Vetrans thing...but at least rase the normal members atlest to like 350...that atlest gives a little more room, if there is no way to stop the links from counting....
X Prime 08-29-2004 11:14 PM
There isn't any way to stop links from counting... Sigs and posts stored as plain text in the SQL database.
BethMcBeth 08-29-2004 11:16 PM
I know, I think it would be fun to increase it but if they don't oh well I'll manage. ^_~"
The Fallen Phoenix 08-29-2004 11:17 PM
If you want to add a quote, you could make it an image; the only tricky part is that some people's browsers can't seem to properly recognize transparency...

At least, that was the problem I seemed to have when I used that to have fairly large quotes in my signature.

Personally, I don't think the signature character values really need to be changed...there's really no way to stop the links from being counted because html tagging do count towards character limits, just as they do in normal posts.

I think it helps to remember that not everyone is going to use pictures; some might use plain text for their signatures. Or, alternatively, some might use several pictures; if the character limits aren't small enough, you have the risk of signatures being larger than most posts, which isn't good at all...

I guess the only solution, then, is to omit the links if you really want to have a quote...
Zola 08-30-2004 08:58 AM
Yeah, the limits are partly there to keep the sigs from getting too too nut Smile
Jonny Axehandle 08-30-2004 08:43 PM
Do what I do, make a "No oversized sigs" rule and make the limit 50,000.
Sixfortyfive 09-07-2004 12:20 AM
In reply to original question:

NO.

Geez, guys. The sigs on this forum are huge. Most topics are more sig and whitespace than actual post!
Krang 09-07-2004 12:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sixfortyfive
Geez, guys. The sigs on this forum are huge. Most topics are more sig and whitespace than actual post!

Yeah, I've been noticing some excessively large sigs also, and increasing the sig length only encourages this.

According to the Forum Rules, the entire sig is supposed to be no more than 250 pixels high and 550 pixels wide, so anything much larger than that will need to be resized. In case anyone doesn't know how big that is, here's a 550x250 box to compare:
evanASF27 09-07-2004 01:44 AM
well...that means the majority of us are pretty much screwed...
Krang 09-07-2004 01:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
well...that means the majority of us are pretty much screwed...

It's fine if you go a little over the height limit (I'd say yours is ok), but if it's much larger than that, it will need to be resized.
Dork 09-10-2004 11:45 PM
It would be nice if the limit were a bit more. Once you get a little picture in or a link there's barely any room for a quote. Quotes really don't take up that much space. I have one that's about half a paragraph in length from 'Wicked' that I can't seem to fit in my signature. And putting it againist a blank background is just too tacky for words.

I wish people knew how to govern themselves on these things.
harshfire 09-11-2004 01:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Yeah, I've been noticing some excessively large sigs also, and increasing the sig length only encourages this.

According to the Forum Rules, the entire sig is supposed to be no more than 250 pixels high and 550 pixels wide, so anything much larger than that will need to be resized. In case anyone doesn't know how big that is, here's a 550x250 box to compare.

That's normally big enough for my banners, and I just make the name of my URL short (so basically I just put like "ban" or "crawban" or "sglass" since my hoster now is RIPWAY) and then I have room for my quotes. Smile I think it's all good.

Later Days,

JA
Dude Love 09-11-2004 10:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
It would be nice if the limit were a bit more. Once you get a little picture in or a link there's barely any room for a quote. Quotes really don't take up that much space. I have one that's about half a paragraph in length from 'Wicked' that I can't seem to fit in my signature. And putting it againist a blank background is just too tacky for words.

I wish people knew how to govern themselves on these things.

Send me the quote. I'll make it into a picture with a transparent background.