[Suggestion] User Pic

Seraphim 08-19-2004 02:17 PM
I was thinking about a "User Pic" feature. Some link on your profile (or spot in your profile) that will display a custom picture by the user (like a photo).

I was browsing through an InvisionFree board and clicked on a profile there, and saw they had this. It's hard to explain, but go to any InvisionFree (or InvisionBoard for that matter) and click on any username.

Can this be implimented?
Christina Perry 08-19-2004 02:58 PM
I suggest you should go the Fourm Rules at the Paradigm Police Department forum to read them about hosting pictures.
Dude Love 08-19-2004 03:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGirl
I suggest you should go the Fourm Rules at the Paradigm Police Department forum to read them about hosting pictures.

I think he's talking more along the lines of uploading a picture to the forums or whatever, sorta like your avatar, but it's displayed in your profile.
Seraphim 08-19-2004 04:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGirl

I think he's talking more along the lines of uploading a picture to the forums or whatever, sorta like your avatar, but it's displayed in your profile.

Yes, Weinberg, that's precisely what I mean...

It's like an avatar, but it has the possibility to be bigger (like a sig image) but only displayed in your profile.

I'd like to put a picture of myself in there.
Kittie heavenly6 08-19-2004 09:09 PM
Considering certain circumstances, I feel all personal photos should be kept off the Paradigm City from now on.
Seraphim 08-19-2004 09:53 PM
It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a picture of the person, it could just be sort of like a picture that exemplifes you in some manner...

You know, to make a user profile actually a PROFILE. So you can look at someone's list and see more about them than their favorite Big O character (which is, come on, going to be either Roger Smith or Dorothy... or Alan for the really cool people. Laughing ) and their avatar, and maybe their user title. I think this would add a little more flavor.

Also, about the "certain circumstances", that problem was dealt with. I don't think it's that much of an issue anymore. And besides, I know the risks when I put a picture up on the Internet. (And also, if you start shrinking back policies, you give into them. I'm sure none of us want to do that, and I'm sure none of us want to talk about this particular subject.)

It's basically a neat little forum addition that can add some personality to a profile.
Dude Love 08-19-2004 10:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a picture of the person, it could just be sort of like a picture that exemplifes you in some manner...

Isn't that what the avatar is for?

Logistically, also, I don't see this happening unless all photos are hosted on Irev or something. Like was said about the personal sound byte or whatever it was called, if we were to upload something more, it'd be more bandwith drawn. And, by the very nature of these pics, they'd be larger than the avatars. And, I'm fairly confident to say that if Krang could spare more room/bandwith for stuff like photos, he would have made Avatar sizes different. (like 150x150 pixels, for example)
Krang 08-19-2004 11:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
I was thinking about a "User Pic" feature. Some link on your profile (or spot in your profile) that will display a custom picture by the user (like a photo).

I was browsing through an InvisionFree board and clicked on a profile there, and saw they had this. It's hard to explain, but go to any InvisionFree (or InvisionBoard for that matter) and click on any username.

Can this be implimented?

I know what you mean, but sorry, you won't see that here. It has too much potential to be abused (in more ways than one).

quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
Considering certain circumstances, I feel all personal photos should be kept off the Paradigm City from now on.

I agree.

quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
And, I'm fairly confident to say that if Krang could spare more room/bandwith for stuff like photos, he would have made Avatar sizes different. (like 150x150 pixels, for example)

Exactly, we're already pushing our bandwidth limit with 100x100 avatars, so increasing the avatar size or adding another picture would most likely bring us over the limit, causing the site to be shut down for a few days near the end of the month.