Napoleon Dynamite

R_Dorothied 08-06-2004 07:17 PM
Best movie in the exsistance of film (next to a couple Some Like It Hot)

darkmisery 08-06-2004 08:24 PM
Agreed. Everything about this movie was great. From its offbeat humor and some of the most original, unique, and eccentric characters ever created. Did anyone see the extra wedding scene? Unfortunately, I saw the movie just before it went into its wide release, so I never got to see that scene. Mad But this is still without a doubt one of my favorite films of all time and is guaranteed to become a cult classic in the coming years. I can't wait for the dvd release, which should be before the end of the year! I also liked how the movie was supposed to be in the year 2004, but it felt like it was in the 80's or something, with the music and the way they dress and the tv's and everything. And I heard that there actually are some towns like Preston, Idaho was in the movie where it's like time just stopped back in 1984 or something and they're 20 years behind in everything.
Nyarlathotep 08-07-2004 02:24 PM
It was pretty funny, but it's one of those movies that when you walk out, you have no idea what just happened. I guess that translates to "cult classic."
Travis Bickle 08-07-2004 02:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R_Dorothied
Best movie in the exsistance of film (next to a couple Some Like It Hot)

It was f***ing (or flipping, as said in the movie) awesome! The girl Deb in the movie was played by Tina Majorino, who played the girl with the tattoo/map on her back in the terrible movie Waterworld. I walked in not knowing anything about it, except that it did well in sundance.

BTW, I saw it when it was playing in limited theaters, so I missed the extra wedding scene. What happened in it?
darkmisery 08-08-2004 05:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nyarlathotep
It was pretty funny, but it's one of those movies that when you walk out, you have no idea what just happened. I guess that translates to "cult classic."

And actually, for the most part, you would be right. Cult classics usually are unusual and offbeat films that gain a loyal following. Although, the movie was fairly easy to understand, although it didn't really have a story. It was about nothing basically, just life in this town with these people, and that's what I liked about it.
Patsai 08-14-2004 01:55 PM
I saw this movie yesterday when my little brother almost dragged me into a showing of "Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie". While the movie seemed pretty plotless in different angles, I definetly recommend seeing it. It's the most fun you'll have at a movie theatre all summer. At first, I was pretty skeptical about seeing this movie (since I've never heard of it), but for ditching a franchise gimmick such as a movie like "Yu-Gi-Oh!" the movie, it was worth it.

Napoleon is probably the funniest character ever concieved in movie theatres all summer. I just couldn't stop cracking up over his rather slow responses to things and his odd behaviors that oddly enough reminded me of myself during my Freshmen year. Heh...bad memories haunted me to while I was watching it, but it only made the movie funnier in the end.

The funniest thing about the movie is how they continue to use a few of the same antics over and over again, yet it comes out funny every time. I crack up every time Napoleon gives that blank brainless look whenever he notices something, his brain trying to interpret what's going on, or his rather anger spasms at people by saying "Frickin' idiot!" whenever he can't stand someone.

Pedro, Napoleon's lovable Hispanic friend, is definetly one of the crowned jewels of the movie. His crazy and evolves into Napoleon's personality. You gotta love him for that. All in all, all of the characters surrounding Napoleon are losers, but by the end of the movie, you'll have more remorse for them in the real world.

This movie is probably the best I've seen all year, and I'm going to give it my 10/10. Finally, a movie this year finally worthy of Oscar material!

On a final note, although it's an MTV Film, I didn't find anything wrong with it for the little ones. So if you're going to see this movie looking for sex jokes, you'll be pretty disappointed. But it's nice to have a movie that you can watch without feeling like you're sinning.
animefan22 08-15-2004 01:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
I saw this movie yesterday when my little brother almost dragged me into a showing of "Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie". While the movie seemed pretty plotless in different angles, I definetly recommend seeing it. It's the most fun you'll have at a movie theatre all summer. At first, I was pretty skeptical about seeing this movie (since I've never heard of it), but for ditching a franchise gimmick such as a movie like "Yu-Gi-Oh!" the movie, it was worth it.

Napoleon is probably the funniest character ever concieved in movie theatres all summer. I just couldn't stop cracking up over his rather slow responses to things and his odd behaviors that oddly enough reminded me of myself during my Freshmen year. Heh...bad memories haunted me to while I was watching it, but it only made the movie funnier in the end.

The funniest thing about the movie is how they continue to use a few of the same antics over and over again, yet it comes out funny every time. I crack up every time Napoleon gives that blank brainless look whenever he notices something, his brain trying to interpret what's going on, or his rather anger spasms at people by saying "Frickin' idiot!" whenever he can't stand someone.

Pedro, Napoleon's lovable Hispanic friend, is definetly one of the crowned jewels of the movie. His crazy and evolves into Napoleon's personality. You gotta love him for that. All in all, all of the characters surrounding Napoleon are losers, but by the end of the movie, you'll have more remorse for them in the real world.

This movie is probably the best I've seen all year, and I'm going to give it my 10/10. Finally, a movie this year finally worthy of Oscar material!

On a final note, although it's an MTV Film, I didn't find anything wrong with it for the little ones. So if you're going to see this movie looking for sex jokes, you'll be pretty disappointed. But it's nice to have a movie that you can watch without feeling like you're sinning.

Yeah, this is family friendly stuff, but I liked that about the movie. At least it didn't have to stoop to sex jokes and gags to be damn funny in its own right. Granted, it has its very own sense of humor that most people won't get, but if you do get it, then you'll love it.
And even though it's released by MTV films, I like how it's still maintaining its cred as an indie film, which it is. They also released it in small release at first, only in art houses and smaller theaters, and it still managed to stay under the radar and out of the mainstream even while achieving box office success. The movie was made with about 600,000 dollars but last I checked it's grossed over 12 million domestically! It's a little film that could, and it's already a pretty big success.
Schwarzwald_X 08-17-2004 04:14 PM
I've seen a few trailers- it does look pretty funny. Maybe I'll check it out one of these days.
JAYCZero 08-17-2004 05:25 PM
Man I Saw the Trialor and LMAO it was Hilarious . I mean the part
were Pedro shaved his head. And something that Napoleon said
about 2% milk ,what was it again I forgot ? anyway's it
amazes me how Napoleon is so Hilarious by just being Lame and
with his Nerdy Persona I like this Dude and in the Commercial
were the Introduction in the Commercial quotes " How to Mack
it with Napoleon " something like that they were saying and he
used his lame Charming Lol . I got's to see that movie
Tickle Tickle 09-01-2004 12:20 AM
Surprisly, this movie don'st look like it's that funny to me. Napoleon himself seems like a highly annoying character. Plus, I can see kids at school imitiating him and making asses of themselves.
Sharpshooter005 09-01-2004 01:08 AM
"Last week, Japanese scientists placed explosives at the bottom of lake loch ness."

It looks like a rental, I've heard both good (it's as random/amusing as the trailers) and bad (the monotone, awkward comment schtick gets old fast).

So..yeah, I'm probably not going to rush out and see it.
Schwarzwald 09-13-2004 09:30 PM
I very much like the 'dry' humor of this movie. It seems so similar to read life but yet still exagerated. The scenes in which the characters flinch or are thinking in thier heads about what to do.

Very funny moments.

And I absolutly love the placement of thier music. It is so abrupt and awkward.

This is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. It was not the funniest, but for some reason it just gives something that is more to real life and for some reason... I like that more than the exagerated spiderman or Holy Grail.
Buck Buck #1 09-13-2004 09:32 PM
I really want to see it, but the theater near my house refuses to show it for some reason. Crying
AndroidZeroX 09-20-2004 09:35 AM
Many ppl found it pointless will otheres, sucha s myself, found it extremely hilarious.
Patsai 09-20-2004 04:34 PM
*tear* I started a thread about this movie already. Crying

[Edit: Merged. --Krang]
Fujiko 01-16-2005 04:34 AM
Well I just recently rented the movie. I was pretty disappointed. It only got a few giggles and chuckles out of me, usually when someone was getting hurt:

spoiler (highlight to read):
-When Napoleon and his brother were "fighting" each other, and Napoleon got the last slap
-When Napoleon's uncle threw the steak at him
-When he took Pedro's bike on a "sweet jump"
-When they were testing the "time machine"

I did find myself quoting some of the stuff afterwards. But it wasn't quite as great as many have said. Frown
Zopwx2 01-16-2005 09:40 PM
I think my viewing experience was injured by the hype..

But it was still funny, I loved the part with the "Time Machine".
Buck Buck #1 01-19-2005 05:28 PM
I really loved Napoleon Dynamite. Mainly because my friends and I really act like that, plus he runs like Big Money.
NightRanger 02-17-2005 06:48 AM
This movie was friggin' histerical!
David Ryder 02-18-2005 05:16 PM
Indeed ND is a riot. I love his constant wacky remarks for everything about a gang wanting him too join because he was good with a Bo Staff, and how he forgot his nunchucks (spelled that wrong) in his locker. I loved ND great movie, I need too buy it.