[Question] Ahh At It Again, Here Krang

Benjamin 08-06-2004 09:30 PM
Not JFK Anymroe But Speakeasy

res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror.htm#http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/addreply.php ADDRESS From My Bar ~_~

Hope That Helps
Seraphim 08-06-2004 09:38 PM
You know, I can't really tell. Can you take a screenshot or copy the error message directly?
Krang 08-06-2004 11:04 PM
When you get this error, please copy exactly what is in the Address bar and paste it here.
Benjamin 08-07-2004 07:58 PM
Well I just posted in both, its just in the last 2 weeks I could not edit post, or report a post in that thread at all, My apologies, it is now working.
Benjamin 08-10-2004 10:09 PM
So far its only threads, No PMs or anything else is effected.
~Benjamin~
Seraphim 08-10-2004 10:20 PM
DNS error. Hmm. That sounds like a problem at your end, with your ISP's DNS servers. Problems like that go away in time.
Benjamin 08-10-2004 10:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
DNS error. Hmm. That sounds like a problem at your end, with your ISP's DNS servers. Problems like that go away in time.

Whats A DNS Error I know that ISP Stands For INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER. How do you know they will Go Away O_o?
~BenjamiN~
Seraphim 08-10-2004 10:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigDuoInferno
quote:

Whats A DNS Error I know that ISP Stands For INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER. How do you know they will Go Away O_o?
~BenjamiN~

DNS = Domain Name System. It matches locations with IP Addresses. An error occurs when your ISP can't find the entry. It's usually a temporary issue.

And the reason you know it'll go away is that it always does. Tongue Unless it doesn't, but that's extremely rare...
Benjamin 08-10-2004 11:04 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

~BenjamiN~

DNS = Domain Name System. It matches locations with IP Addresses. An error occurs when your ISP can't find the entry. It's usually a temporary issue.

And the reason you know it'll go away is that it always does. Tongue Unless it doesn't, but that's extremely rare...

*Cries*

Whats An IP Address...

~~~Benjamin~~~
Seraphim 08-10-2004 11:12 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

~BenjamiN~

*Cries*

Whats An IP Address...

~~~Benjamin~~~

Well, an IP address is an internet protocol address. It's a number which is basically your unique ID on the internet. Everything connected to the internet has one.

So when you have the name www.paradigm-city.com, that is linked to an IP address. That's where the DNS comes in.
Zola 08-11-2004 06:30 AM
He has malware on his machine and should download three programs:

CWShredder (this takes care of browser hijacks)
Lavasoft AdAware (this with Spybot gets rid of almost all malware)
Spybot Search and Destroy

He should run them and clean up his machine.
Seraphim 08-11-2004 06:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zola
He has malware on his machine and should download three programs:

CWShredder (this takes care of browser hijacks)
Lavasoft AdAware (this with Spybot gets rid of almost all malware)
Spybot Search and Destroy

He should run them and clean up his machine.

How do you know he has malware, though? Could be a normal DNS error... but then again, running AdAware never hurts. Out of those, I'd say AdAware is the most useful.

I found Spybot to be rather under par.
Zola 08-11-2004 06:58 AM
It's a hijack he's got, I've seen it before.

Spybot Search and Destroy is excellent, perhaps you didn't update yours? I find there is some overlap, but between the two, you can get just about everything.
madclarinet 08-11-2004 02:49 PM
I agree with Zola, its malware.

I'd use Adaware first (remember to get the latest update), then Spybot. Sometimes XCleaner helps as well. After that I would run a full virus sweep just in case as some malware pulls viruses down.

If you haven't got a virus scanner then download stinger from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ - its not a full one but it helps. If you've got the bandwidth download LinuxDefender from http://www.bitdefender.com/index.php?tab=2 . It needs burning onto CD but its a full antivirus product which boots from CD (based on the Knoppix distro). Update the definitions and it'll check your harddisk(s) with the advantage of not running windows (so no virus would have activated).
The Big Ian 08-11-2004 03:16 PM
Hmm, I think I have the same problem, but I've run all four major scans (AdAware, Spybot, Norton Virus, and that other browser cleanup thing).

Nothing major came up on any of them. But my IE has a similar URL bar error and will not open a URL in a new window (only provides a blank page). The URL bar occasionally fails as well.
Zola 08-11-2004 03:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Ian
Hmm, I think I have the same problem, but I've run all four major scans (AdAware, Spybot, Norton Virus, and that other browser cleanup thing).

Nothing major came up on any of them. But my IE has a similar URL bar error and will not open a URL in a new window (only provides a blank page). The URL bar occasionally fails as well.

Well, there is one more tool, it's called "Hijack This!"

Thing is, you need someone who knows what they are doing to interpret the file so you know what to delete and what to leave alone.

I can do this if you like, just get the program and scan it and choose to save a log. Email it to me and I will go through it and send you back a list of the items you should get rid of.

Run it again, check off those items on your list, and choose fix.

Sometimes the anti-spy stuff removes most of the programs, but will leave a reference, so Hijack This is a good thing to have.

My mail is zola@savebigo.com

Make sure you put me in your address book so the reply doesn't accidentally get marked as spam/junk.
Zola 08-16-2004 08:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Ian

I've mailed you back, but it looks like we've solved TheBigDuoInferno's problem too. Smile

It looks like there's a problem with the Google Toolbar, or one of the other toolbars/buttons. Yahoo Companion is becoming *infamous* for causing problems such as you describe, so don't install it when you install Yahoo, and if it's already installed, remove it through Control Panel/ add/remove programs. (NOT Yahoo itself, Yahoo Companion)

Now that there's a problem, and since it's only additional buttons/context menu items and will do no harm, what I suggest you do, TBDI, is to run "Hijack This", scan, and check off any of the entries that begin thus:

O8 - Extra context menu item:
O9 - Extra button:
O9 - Extra 'Tools'

As a general rule, you can re-add the buttons/context items if you wish by looking in your program's preferences, or you can right click the button area in the browser and choose "customize", or in the case of Google Toolbar, reinstalling it so the references are put back in correctly.

Smile