The Triplets of Belleville

Big Money 08-06-2004 10:45 AM
Anyone else see this movie? Its fantastic. Every character has weird habits, and its alot of fun to watch mostly becuase of the stylized animation. It even has Django Rheinhardt (sp... 0_-) in it for a couple seconds... Those who don't know who that is should buy a CD... hes the Jaco of gypsy guitar.
Lynnet 08-07-2004 12:46 PM
I thought it was very cute.

My favorite characters were the granny and the mouse mechanic (...I like short people.) All the little details and personal quirks made the characters much more expressive than those of most other movies, despite the fact that it was almost a silent film.

...And the Triplets' musical instruments were awesome.

I felt like the cameos at the beginning were unnecessary, though, despite the fact that I really like Django Reinhardt (who also has plenty of tracks on iTunes for those who are interested...including 'Belleville' which I like a lot.)
Big Money 08-10-2004 08:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lynnet
...And the Triplets' musical instruments were awesome.

Yes! The vacuum cleaner was gold! Gold I say!

And the grenade fishing on Christmas was awesome...
Lynnet 08-14-2004 08:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
Yes! The vacuum cleaner was gold! Gold I say!

And the grenade fishing on Christmas was awesome...

The vacuum sounds so creepy on the sountrack...it was very cool, though.

Actually, that goes for the fishing, too...and the whole movie, really...

Disturbing and awesome, both at once.
Nine Kuze 12-10-2006 12:54 AM
A good friend of mine who teaches at the school I go to lent me this DVD a couple of months ago, and I finally got the time to see it and I think its alright.

quote:
Every character has weird habits, and its alot of fun to watch mostly becuase of the stylized animation

Yeah, its cool with the characters traits (like the dog's for example) but I don't know; the stylized and exaggrated animation wasn't doing it for me except with the cities as the people looked like crap to me.

Also as far as the plot goes, I don't see how its actually "kidnapping". Sure, they smuggled ol' boy Champion away but didn't he on his own accord get in the trunk with the hitmen? So yeah, and to smuggle him all the way to Belleville just to be a pawn in a gambling scheme seems rather idiotic. I mean, he was a cyclist in the Tour de France. You can't tell me its difficult to rig that up and make some money through gambling. Floyd Landis anyone?

Overall, the movie was straight. The three ladies were incredible (lol, frogs) and I liked the dog and the grandma was alright, except for that damn elevator show she wore on his right foot. Even when she actually used it, it just seemed very unnecessary.

quote:
And the Triplets' musical instruments were awesome.

Indeed, especially the fridge. And the vacuum cleaner kicked ass too.
Peace.
Chitter-Box-Kat 12-10-2006 01:21 AM
I like to think of this movie as strange, quirky and cool.

One of the things that appealed to me is the lack of dialogue. There was very little spoken word in the whole movie, and you can still follow along. And as far as the story goes, it's wierd as hell. Cycilists fron thr Tour De France being kidnapped for a gambling shcheme... Wierd as hell.

But the characters are fun. The Triplets especially. I love those grannies, using bombs to fish for frogs. Using vacumes, friges and a newspaper aas instruments. And the fact they can still do the jazz thing at thier age. Belleville Rendezvous.

I LOVE the song Belleville Rendezvous. I got it in French and English on CD. Whenever I listen to it, I imagine this girl in an 20's era dress dancing with a boy... Or three girls in 20's era dresses dancing to the lyrics... The music and songs really stick with ya, don't they?

The art style is unique to the point where it's bizzare. I really loved the openig scene in the showhouse with the Triplets performing. And as far as the characters habits go, my favorite is how Champion's mom pushes up her glasses when her eye begins to wander. And the Mouse Mechanic and his twitchy nose thing.

I really like this movie. And yes, the lady with the dog is Champion's MOTHER.