Hosting Issues - Opinions Needed

Krang 08-01-2004 10:40 PM
I've been looking around at hosts for a future place to move Paradigm-City.com, and I came across a great deal at a host with a very good reputation. I'd like to sign up there and get the site moved to the new host, but there's a small problem. The deal is only for a limited time, and we still have about 6 months left on our current host before it expires. I don't really feel that we got our money's worth on the current host (and of course they don't offer refunds... Roll Eyes ), so I'd hate to just abandon 6 months worth of prepaid hosting... Anyone have any ideas?
Manji 08-01-2004 10:47 PM
Well I agree, 6 monthes is alot of wasted space, and if you cant refund, your kinda stuck with it until it expires.

Its possible that this "Special Offer" from the other hosting service may last that long, but only time will tell.

Personally I'd wait, and in ~6 monthes, see whats available at the time, it may not be the perfect solution, but it doesnt waste the 6 monthes of space webspace.

Confused
evanASF27 08-01-2004 10:51 PM
how much is that 6 months worth?
I got alot of money (a couple hundred) I'll try to even it out since they (the host) obviously will not Smile
*EDIT*
in case you didn't guess, I'm supporting you going for the special offer! If I can I'll try to pay you what you payed for the 6 other months.

quote:
Originally posted by Zola
If the new host is better and more responsive, move it. It's not worth six months of hassle. If the money really is an issue, pm me the total you will be losing and I will reimburse you.


That's exactly what I meant to say! (except it would have been me reimbursing you)
Zola 08-01-2004 10:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
I've been looking around at hosts for a future place to move Paradigm-City.com, and I came across a great deal at a host with a very good reputation. I'd like to sign up there and get the site moved to the new host, but there's a small problem. The deal is only for a limited time, and we still have about 6 months left on our current host before it expires. I don't really feel that we got our money's worth on the current host (and of course they don't offer refunds... Roll Eyes ), so I'd hate to just abandon 6 months worth of prepaid hosting... Anyone have any ideas?


If the new host is better and more responsive, move it. It's not worth six months of hassle. If the money really is an issue, pm me the total you will be losing and I will reimburse you.

This host isn't good--I will NEVER forget when I called to tell them your site was down and they told me I had to be authorized for them to fix it!

I mean... what kind of crap is that? A USER is reporting a problem with a site, not asking for info, and they can't even go and look to fix it? And we've had the unexpected outages occurring fairly regularly... it seems to have stopped for the moment, but they seem to be clueless at figuring out what the problem is, and it shouldn't be THAT hard.
Benjamin 08-01-2004 11:13 PM
quote:
If the new host is better and more responsive, move it. It's not worth six months of hassle.


I agree with Zola, If you want to move it Move it, DO WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST!

~BenjamiN~
Dude Love 08-01-2004 11:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zola
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
I've been looking around at hosts for a future place to move Paradigm-City.com, and I came across a great deal at a host with a very good reputation. I'd like to sign up there and get the site moved to the new host, but there's a small problem. The deal is only for a limited time, and we still have about 6 months left on our current host before it expires. I don't really feel that we got our money's worth on the current host (and of course they don't offer refunds... Roll Eyes ), so I'd hate to just abandon 6 months worth of prepaid hosting... Anyone have any ideas?


If the new host is better and more responsive, move it. It's not worth six months of hassle. If the money really is an issue, pm me the total you will be losing and I will reimburse you.

This host isn't good--I will NEVER forget when I called to tell them your site was down and they told me I had to be authorized for them to fix it!

I mean... what kind of crap is that? A USER is reporting a problem with a site, not asking for info, and they can't even go and look to fix it? And we've had the unexpected outages occurring fairly regularly... it seems to have stopped for the moment, but they seem to be clueless at figuring out what the problem is, and it shouldn't be THAT hard.


I, too, will help re-imburse the money lost on the current host (if I can find a way). This current host hasn't been giving you the service you paid for anyway, so might as well get good service.

Is there any way to use the current host as a just-in-case-we-run-out-of-bandwith-for-a-week backup? Sorta, if we hit that situation, the files of the site and such can be transfered onto the old host for the week? Does that sentence make any sense?
Seraphim 08-01-2004 11:24 PM
I wouldn't know unless I saw the numbers. (How much you're paying now, what the offer is, etc)
Almasy 08-01-2004 11:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zola
If the new host is better and more responsive, move it. It's not worth six months of hassle.

Absolutely! If you're unhappy with the current host, don't torture yourself by sticking out the remaining six months.
Krang 08-01-2004 11:43 PM
Thanks for the opinions so far. I also think it would be a good idea to move it soon, since the customer service for our current host is horrible (as Zola pointed out) and since the server is often sluggish or down completely.

Also, thanks to those of you who offered to help reimburse me for the move. However, I would feel better if I gave something back, so for anyone who helps with the payment, I could divide the account on this server among you so that you could have a site hosted here for 6 months (if you're interested). Our current limits are 2GB disk space and 60GB bandwidth/month, so if 3 people contribute, they would each get hosting accounts with 0.66GB space and 20GB bandwidth.

quote:
Originally posted by Wienberg
Is there any way to use the current host as a just-in-case-we-run-out-of-bandwith-for-a-week backup? Sorta, if we hit that situation, the files of the site and such can be transfered onto the old host for the week? Does that sentence make any sense?

Maybe, but with dynamic content such as the forums, it's hard to maintain 2 copies of a site. But in case the site is down, I recently moved www.paradigm-city.net to another server, so I'll post status updates there if I'm aware of the problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
I wouldn't know unless I saw the numbers. (How much you're paying now, what the offer is, etc)

If I accepted the offer, we would be paying a little more than we are now, but it's worth it for the improved customer support and faster server.
Seraphim 08-01-2004 11:45 PM
You should go with the new server. And besides, you can use the old one to store backup copies of the forum database.
Pygmalion 08-01-2004 11:47 PM
I'd be happy to kick in something to get paradigm-city on a better host. Please don't give the prepaid six months any weight -- six months of lousy service is not worth any amount of money.

Pygmalion
evanASF27 08-01-2004 11:47 PM
quote:
Also, thanks to those of you who offered to help reimburse me for the move. However, I would feel better if I gave something back, so for anyone who helps with the payment, I could divide the account on this server among you so that you could have a site hosted here for 6 months (if you're interested). Our current limits are 2GB disk space and 60GB bandwidth/month, so if 3 people contribute, they would each get hosting accounts with 0.66GB space and 20GB bandwidth.

OOOOOOOOoooooooo Shocked ....that would be nice, however Zola's already got me thinking about a different host. (one which I'll think about subscribing to later in the month)
Zola 08-02-2004 12:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Also, thanks to those of you who offered to help reimburse me for the move. However, I would feel better if I gave something back, so for anyone who helps with the payment, I could divide the account on this server among you so that you could have a site hosted here for 6 months (if you're interested). Our current limits are 2GB disk space and 60GB bandwidth/month, so if 3 people contribute, they would each get hosting accounts with 0.66GB space and 20GB bandwidth.


Errr.... I'm still working on my original gig of space and 60 gigs worth of bandwidth per month...

ROTFL! Wink
Krang 08-02-2004 12:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
OOOOOOOOoooooooo Shocked ....that would be nice, however Zola's already got me thinking about a different host. (one which I'll think about subscribing to later in the month)

quote:
Originally posted by Zola
Errr.... I'm still working on my original gig of space and 60 gigs worth of bandwidth per month...

ROTFL! Wink

No problem, if you don't need the hosting, I'll divide it among anyone else who is interested, but I just wanted to offer it in return for the help. Smile So far, it looks like 4 people are interested in helping with the move, but I'll wait a little while longer to see if anyone else is. Then, I'll send each of you a PM with more information.
evanASF27 08-02-2004 12:29 AM
okay Smile Hey whatever we can do to help Krang Wink *raises a mug of beer to him*
Cheers!
Manji 08-02-2004 01:00 AM
I'd be interested in contributing, and I may be in need of webspace soon, me and my brother have been meaning to buy some webspace so we can open up a site, but I'll have to see if this is what he wants. Alternatively, Patsai might be interested in the webspace for that X-Play site thing, so I'll check with him too.
Mr. Fortnight 08-02-2004 01:12 AM
While I can't help resource wise, I do think I have to say a few things.

1: Once the limited offer at the potential new home for Paradigm-City ends, what would the regular rates? Would they be MORE than here at the current location?
2: How good really is the new spot's customer service?
3: How on the ball are they on getting things up and running? Would there be a gap between when the old PC shuts down and the new PC comes online?
Krang 08-02-2004 03:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign M
While I can't help resource wise, I do think I have to say a few things.

1: Once the limited offer at the potential new home for Paradigm-City ends, what would the regular rates? Would they be MORE than here at the current location?

If I sign up during the special offer, we get to keep those prices as long as we're signed up with them. It's already a little more than what we're paying now, but I think it's worth it to be rid of all the problems we're having now.

quote:
2: How good really is the new spot's customer service?

The new host has been around since 1999, which is a big difference from our current host, who has apparently only been around since 2002. I've heard many positive reviews about the new host's customer service at some forums about web hosting, so I've been waiting for an opportunity like this to sign up with them.

quote:
3: How on the ball are they on getting things up and running?

They seem to be fast with their support, and one of their offers is that they will transfer the site to their server for free (which The Technodrome's current host also offered, so I know how useful it is).

quote:
Would there be a gap between when the old PC shuts down and the new PC comes online?

There will be a little downtime while I wait for the transfer to be complete and run some tests on the new host, but hopefully it won't be more than a few hours.
Benjamin 08-02-2004 04:02 AM
So Krang Will you do it?

If so When?
Howler_65 08-02-2004 09:09 AM
well krang the simplist answer is to first wait for the time to expire but in the meantime you can look for a better host than the one you found but if you really need a new host before the time expiresthen you may just have to give it up. yet a third optionis to have the new host run the pcf while the old one hosts.frankly i vote for the first one ,but hey its up to you.