Hosting Issues - Opinions Needed

Madrona 08-02-2004 09:37 AM
I haven't been around nearly as long as some of the other members,so I can't really complain overly much.

However Krang,the way Zola was treated on the phone, the response that you've gotten from their customer service(or lack thereof) and the lack of refunds lead me to say cut your loses. Six months is not all that long in the grand scheme of things.

Don't tell my husband, but I'd be happy to chip in as well. This place is just too important to me to not Big Grin

Madrona
X Prime 08-02-2004 09:40 AM
May I ask who this new host you are considering is?
Tony Waynewrong 08-02-2004 09:59 AM
I agree with Zola. I will help reimburse you. However, I do have an idea. Is there a way to temporarily partition the forums to have all the photos, pictures and other things on another website? If so, you can keep the photos here (in a less than reliable site) and the forums at the new site. This will help with bandwidth issues. But, if you would do me the honor of PMing me with what monetary and other resources you need, I can help. Smile

Long Live PCF!!!
Krang 08-02-2004 06:28 PM
First of all, thanks to everyone who offered to help! It looks like there are now 7 people: evanASF27, Zola, Wienberg, Pygmalion, Manji, Madrona, and Tony. If there's anyone else, please post here. Also, if any of you change your mind or don't have access to Paypal, let me know.

quote:
Originally posted by TheBigDuoInferno
So Krang Will you do it?

If so When?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that I want to go through with the move, and it will hopefully be done within the next few days.

quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
May I ask who this new host you are considering is?

UltraUnix.

quote:
Originally posted by Tony
However, I do have an idea. Is there a way to temporarily partition the forums to have all the photos, pictures and other things on another website? If so, you can keep the photos here (in a less than reliable site) and the forums at the new site. This will help with bandwidth issues.

Good idea, but that would unfortunately require some recoding of scripts since they rely on the images being on the same server. However, I did recently move the downloads (video clips, sounds, and screen savers) to another server to help reduce bandwidth usage.
evanASF27 08-02-2004 06:43 PM
A few days?! O.o

*grabs mop...chucks it at Wienberg*
GET CLEANIN!!! We's gonna be gettin customers soon!! Big Grin


Cool Thumbs Up
RIGHT ON!


Now then, Krang? How much money is needed to reimburse you?
We should divide it up equally Smile
Seraphim 08-02-2004 06:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
We should divide it up equally Smile


Or, you know... people could just give whatever they're willing to provide. It would be easier that way, since we don't know the amount of people who want to contribute.
evanASF27 08-02-2004 06:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
We should divide it up equally Smile


Or, you know... people could just give whatever they're willing to provide. It would be easier that way, since we don't know the amount of people who want to contribute.

well we know who wants to contribute so far...but hey we don't want to end up not giving enough or even giving too much (what Krang might do with those extra hundreds Tongue ).
Krang 08-02-2004 06:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
Now then, Krang? How much money is needed to reimburse you?
We should divide it up equally Smile

I'll let you all know the total through PM and the suggested amount (which is the total divided by 7, or however many people are willing to help when I send it).

quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
well we know who wants to contribute so far...but hey we don't want to end up not giving enough or even giving too much (what Krang might do with those extra hundreds Tongue ).

Yeah, if I receive too much, I'll use it toward my evil plans to...

...pay for more hosting. Tongue
evanASF27 08-02-2004 06:55 PM
come on.....SAY IT.......

Evil plans to....FIND THE TRUTH OF THIS ACCURSED CITY OF AMNESIA!!!!

BWHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!

meh...okay Smile I got the answer to my question, I'll be standing by waiting in the office of the Neo-Speakeasy Wink (sipping some burbon)



PS
...what did you think I was going to say? To rule the world!? O_o Tongue
Wingnut 08-02-2004 07:35 PM
Thanks for the 20 seconds of insanity evan. Set it on a repeating loop and have it come oput a small hidden speaker on your front porch on Halloween.
Odd as it may seem, I have not seen any large problems since the last time we had a server cause the forums (and the site) to go down. Is there some hidden problem I'm missing?
Mr. Fortnight 08-02-2004 08:13 PM
Well, Krang, forgive my prior pragmatism.

Go for it!!! ^_^
Dude Love 08-02-2004 08:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
well we know who wants to contribute so far...but hey we don't want to end up not giving enough or even giving too much (what Krang might do with those extra hundreds Tongue ).

Yeah, if I receive too much, I'll use it toward my evil plans to...

...pay for more hosting. Tongue


The plot thickens.

Seems there's a lot of support for this move, both from general opinion and also finacial backing. Smile
Kittie heavenly6 08-02-2004 10:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
Now then, Krang? How much money is needed to reimburse you?
We should divide it up equally Smile

I'll let you all know the total through PM and the suggested amount (which is the total divided by 7, or however many people are willing to help when I send it).

quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
well we know who wants to contribute so far...but hey we don't want to end up not giving enough or even giving too much (what Krang might do with those extra hundreds Tongue ).

Yeah, if I receive too much, I'll use it toward my evil plans to...

...pay for more hosting. Tongue


But boss, I thougth you said we was gonna use that to make more mutagen so we could make an army of mutant monsters??
Krang 08-02-2004 11:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Odd as it may seem, I have not seen any large problems since the last time we had a server cause the forums (and the site) to go down. Is there some hidden problem I'm missing?

Yes, the lack of support from our current host, combined with the fact that their support forum is taken down for months at a time, makes it impossible to know why the server is down and for how long. It also doesn't help that the server is very slow at times, and they refuse to do anything about it...

quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
But boss, I thougth you said we was gonna use that to make more mutagen so we could make an army of mutant monsters??

Shh... they're not supposed to know about that until it's too late... Evil
X Prime 08-03-2004 12:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
But boss, I thougth you said we was gonna use that to make more mutagen so we could make an army of mutant monsters??

Shh... they're not supposed to know about that until it's too late... Evil


*Cloaked guy comes from shadows, cue dramatic music as cloaked guy turns to Krang*

I won't spill the beans about the... altering cosmetics... if I get a hefty share of the benefits and a blood oath swearing that the, um... roaring fans of your products will leave me alone. You have 24 hours to respond or I will release the goods to every major news agency around the globe. The choice is yours.

*End dramatic music as the cloaked chap fades into shadow*
Krang 08-03-2004 11:25 PM
I'm thinking about getting the site moved tomorrow (Wednesday), so I'm going to start sending PMs to the people who offered to donate. To everyone else, just letting you know that you can expect some downtime tomorrow. I'll try to keep it to a minimum, but it's necessary to get everything moved over.
Seraphim 08-03-2004 11:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
I'm thinking about getting the site moved tomorrow (Wednesday), so I'm going to start sending PMs to the people who offered to donate. To everyone else, just letting you know that you can expect some downtime tomorrow. I'll try to keep it to a minimum, but it's necessary to get everything moved over.


OK, sounds like a plan. My only suggestion would be to make sure the database is backed up... I used to be a mod on a forum that did a similar server change, and the admin had some issue with the database. It really sucked. Frown Just a heads up to a possible problem.
evanASF27 08-03-2004 11:28 PM
*grabs a flag and cheers for Krang*

W00TNESS!!!!


Good luck man Cool Thumbs Up

*goes to call Dale and tell him to get over to the speakeasy bright and early*
Krang 08-03-2004 11:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
OK, sounds like a plan. My only suggestion would be to make sure the database is backed up... I used to be a mod on a forum that did a similar server change, and the admin had some issue with the database. It really sucked. Frown Just a heads up to a possible problem.

Thanks for the reminder. I always keep 2 backups of the database on the server and one on my computer, so I have some to fall back on in case that happens.

BTW, the PMs have been sent. One thing I forgot to mention, though, is that if anyone who donated is interested in free hosting for 6 months (as mentioned in an earlier post in this thread), please PM or email me to let me know. Once I get a total number of people interested, I'll divide up the space among you.
Howler_65 08-06-2004 09:09 AM
yeah krang ,well im glad to see that your so prepared that makes me happy!!!