[Question] Time spent on forums?

Zopwx2 08-01-2004 05:29 AM
is there a way to figure out how much time a person has spent on the forums...... Is this possible? It would be a cool edtion to all the other interesting statistics we have.
Zola 08-01-2004 05:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
is there a way to figure out how much time a person has spent on the forums...... Is this possible? It would be a cool edtion to all the other interesting statistics we have.

That's easy.

Way too much!

Laughing

I'd be afraid to see that stat. Wink
Hienrich Ele 08-01-2004 12:03 PM
Lordy Lordy Lordy. I, too, would be afraid of that stat. It would mock me I bet.
BabyGhia 08-01-2004 02:24 PM
Probably A LOT more time than I think. That would be WAY too scary to know. This is one of those things I don't want to know. Well, maybe a little?

BabyGhia
madclarinet 08-01-2004 03:39 PM
Due to the way a webserver works its almost impossible to work out how long someone has spent on a particular site. It is possible to 'guess' or by using session management.

It would be possible to work out what I saw - the logs would record my usernames id, from that it's possible to work out what I've looked at, where I've come from. If I've come in from another site, you can tell where I've come from. Also if its from a search engine, you can work out whats someones entered into the search.

I could carry on but instead there's a better explaination from this site

http://www.analog.cx/docs/webworks.html

If you click the link, the www.analog.cx site will know that the link came from this thread. The site, by the way, is for a open source (ie free) webserver logfile analyser.

Would be frightening to work out how much time though.
Zopwx2 08-01-2004 03:41 PM
I was just wondering becuase they had somthing that calculated time at the AS forums.
evanASF27 08-01-2004 03:49 PM
Manji's would probably be the highest...>.>....<.<....

*grabs a jumbo cup of coffee*

@_@

I wish I could see the stat for that. But I doubt we could do that. I don't think the forums can keep track of something like that.
Seraphim 08-01-2004 03:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27

@_@

I wish I could see the stat for that. But I doubt we could do that. I don't think the forums can keep track of something like that.

Sure it could, but with very heavy modifications. I don't really think it's worth it.
Zopwx2 08-01-2004 03:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27

@_@

Sure it could, but with very heavy modifications. I don't really think it's worth it.

well if its that much trouble we might as well just drop it.

Everyone just keep a detailed stopwatch timed record of your times and we'll compare it here. Big Grin
madclarinet 08-01-2004 04:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
I was just wondering becuase they had somthing that calculated time at the AS forums.

There are several commercial programs that claim this - as HTTP is a stateless protocol you cannot reliably record how long someone has spent. I could open a several thread, make a cup of tea, spend time on the 'phone etc, then just close the pages - the log would show that I've accessed the pages, but I may not have read them.

When you use IM it creates a connection between you computer and the IM server. When you log out the connection is broken - with that you can tell how long you've been logged in.

If you use the command 'netstat' - in windows do this with a 'DOS Box' you'll see the connections. An IM will normally have the state 'ESTABLISHED', a web page will only show 'ESTABLISHED' for a short period of time. The IM one will stay 'ESTABLISHED' until you log out of IM.

All I can suggest is to read the link I posted earlier carefully. It gives the best description I've found.
Krang 08-01-2004 09:13 PM
Sorry, but I don't think this could be made accurate enough to be worth the effort. I also noticed that AS has it on their forums, but I doubt it is accurate there either. See madclarinet's posts, since he already explained it well.