The All-Purpose "M. Night Shyamalan Can't Write Movies (and/or Act in Them)" thread

Travis Bickle 07-31-2004 02:38 PM
I saw the Village last night. I thought it was going to suck, but it really surpised me. If you go see it, pay attention to everything that is said and done to get the full understanding of everything in the end. I reccomend it to Big O fans,
spoiler (highlight to read):
because it made me think that something like what happened could possibly be an explanation for Paradigm City!? You won't understand this until you see the entire movie from begining to end. And, if you didn't see it, STOP READING MY SPOILERS! hehehe

Don't Question it!
Hienrich Ele 07-31-2004 02:42 PM
I am gonna see it Wensday. I plan to scream real loud just to annoy people!

Just kidding, I would never do that. I am too polite!
Ano Hito 07-31-2004 02:56 PM
I had a choice, Village or Manchurian Candidate...

Well, I went and saw MC. It was kickass.
¡SpoonySthingyy! 07-31-2004 05:55 PM
I went and saw the village last night too. Twas excellente! I actually got scared. I am actually disappointed that this was the only scary movie that came out all summer, but then again I'm happy because it was a really good movie.

All in all...

Im going to see it again Big Grin
Gummibear 07-31-2004 06:56 PM
To be honest after "Signs" I was so dissapointed. However I think The Village may be the best film he has done next to The Sixth Sense.
Sharpshooter005 07-31-2004 07:14 PM
Saw it.

This is, sadly, the second of Shyamalan's films I've had spoiled for me (sixth sense by a callous friend who rationalized it with "it's your fault for not having seen it", and this one by the good old interweb.)

Despite the theatre I saw it in being populated by rather irritating people (one guy who just kept LAUGHING for no reason, a row of very loud girls behind me until I moved, and this..irritating old woman who I almost advised to wait out her few remaining years somewhere else...yeah, hell isn't other people, hell is a movie theatre full of LOUD people.), I liked it.

For a second I thought the movie was going to wind up cancelling out it's own twist
When Ivy encounters the "creature" in the woods, and theres that flashback to william hurt's dialogue about the rumors of the monsters.
. But even without that, it was still good.

Regardless of my prior knowledge of the plot twists, the acting, the directing, and the general atmosphere the movie had were all very good. And I'm very much awaiting his next movie (which I will be even more cautious to avoid any spoilers for. Tongue )

Also I continue to be one of the..few people who liked Signs apparently. I keep expecting to hear the same gripes with this that I did with signs (in signs, and this was something that if you couldn't muster any suspension of disbelief, kind of sucked, it was the water killing the aliens...since...theres ALOT of that on this planet. and in this
the fact a plane would have immidiately noticed the settlement, but they kind of explain that away near the end.
)

All in all it's a good movie though.

quote:
I had a choice, Village or Manchurian Candidate...

I'm going to put off seeing that until I see the original (which I hear was better).
Redd 07-31-2004 08:06 PM
I saw it today.... my sister dragged me to it... I liked it a lot... it was pretty cool, and kinda creepy. I actually jumped in one scene! ^__^;;; I thought it was going to be a lot more scarier; they didn't show as much of the "creatures" as I thought they would. It was still pretty cool though. Thumbs Up
Dude Love 07-31-2004 08:53 PM
Well, personally, I thought that, as a scary movie, it was terrible. I am now going to resign myself to spoiler boxes.

You don't kill the "bad thing" of any scary movie! Don't do it. Especially with a half hour or more left!

However, as a general movie, I felt it was average. I felt it was much more a love story rather than a scary movie, though.
Patsai 07-31-2004 09:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ¡SpoonySthingyy!
I am actually disappointed that this was the only scary movie that came out all summer, but then again I'm happy because it was a really good movie.

Umm...hate to break it to you, but The Exorcist: The Beginning is coming out this month.

I haven't seen this movie yet; I might catch a showing tomorrow.
Spooky 08-01-2004 01:50 AM
Wow...it looks like I was the only one who was pretty much disappointed with this movie. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't give it anything better than perhaps a C.

I thought perhaps the story could have flowed better. It was predictable (maybe only I thought it was too predictable - I do watch a ton of the Twilight Zone which can "ruin" the idea of a creepy plot twist after a while) - I had it figured out about halfway into the film. The fact that the colors were emphasized (RED and the "auras" of people) and never really served a real purpose in the plot bothered me too. Ivy went on and on about how she wouldn't tell Joaquin's characater (my mind's tired and his name escapes me right now) what color he was - I thought that this was pertinent to the plot somehow and it really didn't add anything to the overall storyline (it was over emphasized seeing as it didn't develop into anything).

The movie wasn't as suspenseful for me once they revealed the truth about the creatures. When Ivy was "attacked" by the one in the woords, I figured that it was SOMEONE in a suitr messing with her to make her think that the creatures realy DID exist so the village would continue existing even after the elders passed.

I think Shyamalan had a good story idea, but didn't put enough time into developing it into a greatly twisted tale. I expected better of him based on his other three films. Eh...maybe I'm being too harsh, but I just felt like "The Village" was quickly thrown together and was expected to succeed, not because it was a great story, ut because it had Shyamalan's name attached to it.

Although, the movie left me with several questions: I understand that the support group formed this new society, but where did all of their children come from? If the HAD children before they left, surely the children would have memories of their life pre-village. Or if the children were all born in the village, wouldn't most of them be relatives then? It really didn't seem to me that there were more than maybe 10 elders who settled the Village - unless I'm missing something key, that whole aspect of the movie didn't sit well with me.

Perhaps I should give it another chance?

Latah Wink
Jules: The Token Girl
Dude Love 08-01-2004 01:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Token Girl
Wow...it looks like I was the only one who was pretty much disappointed with this movie. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't give it anything better than perhaps a C.

I thought perhaps the story could have flowed better. It was predictable (maybe only I thought it was too predictable - I do watch a ton of the Twilight Zone which can "ruin" the idea of a creepy plot twist after a while) - I had it figured out about halfway into the film. The fact that the colors were emphasized (RED and the "auras" of people) and never really served a real purpose in the plot bothered me too. Ivy went on and on about how she wouldn't tell Joaquin's characater (my mind's tired and his name escapes me right now) what color he was - I thought that this was pertinent to the plot somehow and it really didn't add anything to the overall storyline (it was over emphasized seeing as it didn't develop into anything).

The movie wasn't as suspenseful for me once they revealed the truth about the creatures. When Ivy was "attacked" by the one in the woords, I figured that it was SOMEONE in a suitr messing with her to make her think that the creatures realy DID exist so the village would continue existing even after the elders passed.

I think Shyamalan had a good story idea, but didn't put enough time into developing it into a greatly twisted tale. I expected better of him based on his other three films. Eh...maybe I'm being too harsh, but I just felt like "The Village" was quickly thrown together and was expected to succeed, not because it was a great story, ut because it had Shyamalan's name attached to it.

Although, the movie left me with several questions: I understand that the support group formed this new society, but where did all of their children come from? If the HAD children before they left, surely the children would have memories of their life pre-village. Or if the children were all born in the village, wouldn't most of them be relatives then? It really didn't seem to me that there were more than maybe 10 elders who settled the Village - unless I'm missing something key, that whole aspect of the movie didn't sit well with me.

Perhaps I should give it another chance?

Latah Wink

You raise a lot of interesting points. Which adds to my dissatisfaction with this movie even more. As I said, I thought it was a lame scary movie, and an average general movie.
Sharpshooter005 08-01-2004 02:05 AM
The color thing? Probably the same as the "magic rocks" (which made no damn sense to me either). Just some random element of looming suprnatural dread that they cobbled together to scare people from entering the woods.

The 'aura' thing made me guess there would be some importance on that also (I'd read spoilers, sadly, but the amount of semi-red herrings still was interesting
How Lucius is removed as the main character early on, the aura thing, etc.
)

As for
the small group aspect
, possibly
The lead elder got others on board.

As far as the children
They'd probably have any pre-village memories drilled out of them. Also all the villagers look and act to be in their '20s or so, save for the elders.

quote:
I thought it was a lame scary movie

When...did shamalyn become a horror director?

(And please, please don't say the sixth sense was frightening. It wasn't. It also had one of the most OBVIOUS twists in all his films, at least I thought so)

Yeah, seems I'm going to wind up becoming the lone fan of this also (my friends were having similar reactions, but really...they're wrong on alot of stuff sometimes.). Tongue

PS:

One thing I JUST picked up on. The wildlife refuge? It belongs to the lead elder, or...became his when his father died. He mentions his rich father dying, and then when you see the guards on the outside, all have "walker wildlife preserve" caps on...walker being his family name.
Dude Love 08-01-2004 02:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
The color thing? Probably the same as the "magic rocks" (which made no damn sense to me either). Just some random element of looming suprnatural dread that they cobbled together to scare people from entering the woods.

Well, the rocks were there to lure the uninformed boys with Ivy into a sense of security

quote:
quote:
I thought it was a lame scary movie

When...did shamalyn become a horror director?

Well, this movie was advertised as the scary movie of the summer, I believe. At the very least, that's the belief EVERYONE I know was lured into by the previews.
Sharpshooter005 08-01-2004 02:14 AM
quote:
Well, this movie was advertised as the scary movie of the summer, I believe. At the very least, that's the belief EVERYONE I know was lured into by the previews.

For some reason, he's depicted as a director of "scary" films. I've always thought of it as more suspense than anything.

So, naturally, it'll be marketed as 'scary'. (Maybe it is, I'm rarely frightened by movies, often by something I wind up laughing at later on.)

Anyway, yeah...I'm looking forward to his next movie..hopefully it won't be spoiled for me..I suppose eventually, yeah, it'll just become "screw the movie, WHATS THE TWIST!". But I genuinely think he's a good director (and writer, mind you.)
Dude Love 08-01-2004 02:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:

For some reason, he's depicted as a director of "scary" films. I've always thought of it as more suspense than anything.

So, naturally, it'll be marketed as 'scary'.

I think it partially has something to do with his name. "Night" in it, since you could go along a chain to get scary from that when it's in a name.

I'd love if it had been marketed as suspense, though. I'd probably have a higher opinion of it, but as of now I feel short-changed.
Josey 08-01-2004 02:25 AM
I wasn't going to go see The Village because I thought it
would suck but since Ignignokt recommend it, I guess ill go see it on SundaySmile
Travis Bickle 08-01-2004 12:49 PM
This will explain a couple of things:

William Hurt's charachter was a billionare (as he explained) and got together with a whole bunch of people to develop the Village. Now, if you listen closely when he opens the box at the end, all these people had terrible things happen to them in their lives, so they decided to get away from civilization and start the village. They all met at some therapy place in the 60's or 70's (look at the picture at the end. DUH!) and the children were born inside the village. William Hurt was so rich that he payed off the gov't and made sure that people from the outside were kept out of the village and that planes and stuff would not fly over it.

Was it me, or did Adrian Brody make a great retard/psycho?
Nyarlathotep 08-01-2004 11:06 PM
Is it better than Signs? Because Signs blew. Signs was the only movie I have ever seen that I had no respect for and talked through. And I might add that other movie patrons not only didn't tell me to shut up, but laughed with me when I pointed out obvious flaws in that movie.
Spooky 08-01-2004 11:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ignignokt
This will explain a couple of things:

William Hurt's charachter was a billionare (as he explained) and got together with a whole bunch of people to develop the Village. Now, if you listen closely when he opens the box at the end, all these people had terrible things happen to them in their lives, so they decided to get away from civilization and start the village. They all met at some therapy place in the 60's or 70's (look at the picture at the end. DUH!) and the children were born inside the village. William Hurt was so rich that he payed off the gov't and made sure that people from the outside were kept out of the village and that planes and stuff would not fly over it.

Was it me, or did Adrian Brody make a great retard/psycho?

I understood the movie. However, I just didn't like it. I felt like it was thrown together for the most part. It wasn't horrible, like I said, but there were several plot elements that were emphasized, but never really used in the end.

Although, I DO agree with you about Adrian Brody Big Grin

Latah Wink
Demosthenes 08-03-2004 11:20 AM
I have a question,
was the skinned animals killed and skinned by the elders? it would seem so, but they were all at the party when that second attack came

also
his father was a billionare, shot in his sleep, so says the newspaper