The All-Purpose "M. Night Shyamalan Can't Write Movies (and/or Act in Them)" thread

Travis Bickle 08-03-2004 04:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by cudailike
I have a question,
spoiler (highlight to read):
was the skinned animals killed and skinned by the elders? it would seem so, but they were all at the party when that second attack came

Hmmm... That's a good question. Was it Adrian Brody, and did he already have the suit?
Spooky 08-03-2004 11:48 PM
It had to have been an elder. Noah hadn't been banished to the Quiet Room yet to find the suit. I'm sure upon second viewing it is more obvious who the "missing" elder is.

Latah Wink
Jules: The Token Girl
Demosthenes 08-04-2004 03:31 PM
Who?
Hienrich Ele 08-04-2004 06:51 PM
Hey! I just saw it today! Yay me!

I liked it. I saw it with my sister and her two friends, and my brother and his two friends. I would have brought two friends, but I don't like them enough to do that for them! Big Grin

As I said I liked it. It was a little romancy, but the "they" looked pretty good. First time you saw one, my sister screamed and jumped outta her seat. It was hilarious.

And this is mean of me, but did anyone else laugh when that Ivy lady just slapped that 'special' guy?
Prons 08-04-2004 07:28 PM
TERRIBLE MOVIE.

The plot, story, characters, monsters, all lame.

I don't even want to talk about it.

Do you need any proof about how bad it is? Yea, look at the "Bad Color"....
Nyarlathotep 08-08-2004 11:44 PM
I saw it the other night, not terribly impressed, it was standard Shamalan fare. Obligatory plot twists abound!

Overall: Better than Signs, not as good as Sixth Sense, equal to Unbreakable

And coincidentally, I was under the impression that it was indeed Noah who skinned the animals (he had the knife, but that doesn't mean much) and left the marks on the doors. I just assumed he had discovered the suit during one of his earlier incarcerations in the quiet room and just replaced the boards with more care the previous times. Is there actually any proof in the movie that it was indeed one of the elders? If so, which one?
Ace of Spades 08-08-2004 11:50 PM
Is it just me? or is Mr. Shyamalan getting lazier?
Patsai 08-08-2004 11:57 PM
Is it me, or does M. Night Shymalan have an obssession with the color red? He's used it several times subconsciously (if you get what I mean) in the Sixth Sense. I haven't seen Signs yet, but I'm sure they've used the color red in weird, unnoticable places.
Volt 08-09-2004 01:03 PM
My family went to see it the other day, but I refused to go. I sorta hate Shyamalan's work. Especially Signs---the whole movie sucked, except for the part where.... uh... oh yeah! The part where it ended.
Patsai 08-14-2004 01:57 PM
All M. Night Shymalan did was paste the horror genre back on top when The Sixth Sense was first released. Wasn't that the reason why he became so popular?
BigNoNo 08-14-2004 02:12 PM
Saw it when it opened.

Hated it. Really really really hated it.

This film is paced like a snail. Granted, I only got a 4 hour nap in before seeing it, and wasn't feeling that terribly refreshed, but the entire first reel is snooze worthy.

The performances are...uninteresting. Some people may use the term “nuanced”. Trust me, they’re mistaken. What we are viewing is NOT a carefully studied and rounded presentation of character, it’s actors so friggin bored with what they have to work with that they cant HELP but fidget and acting wooden. The audience is so bored that we care more about someone itching of not touching someone else that we mistake this for brilliance in acting. The worst offender is William Hurt, who has all the personality of dirt. No, scratch that, some people find dirt interesting. Hurt gives a gaping black hole of a performance that literally sucks all emotion out of the film and hurls it into another dimension. I wish that were an exaggeration. It's not.

Craftmanship of this film is nil. About the only thing even vaguely interesting is the cinematography. Everything else is fairly well worthless. Dialog is boring, performances are boring. Plots and characters are contrived and soap opera worthy. About the only scene with ANY emotional payoff is a stabbing that occurs within the last third of the film. There are a few jumps that result from shadows against a wall, which wouldn’t be frightening if they weren’t punctuated by bass drum hits telling you to jump out of your seat.

And most of all, the ending was somewhere between insipid, and, well, just plain unnecessary. In fact, looking back on the film, the entire bloody film is insipid and unnecessary. I’ve seen twilight zone episodes that have a better payoff and more interesting premise.

Given a better script, the guy could shine. Unfortunately he only seems interested in using his own material. M. Night should give up screen writing all together. He’s blown his best concept in Sixth Sense. Unbreakable was only mildly interesting, and that interest puttered out half way thought the film. Signs was interesting till the last reel, at which point it became unwatchable. The Village is uncomfortable in the worst way from reel one.
BabyGhia 08-15-2004 12:19 PM
It's interesting to see people's reaction to this movie. I saw it Friday with the wrong group of people. They had no concept of the movie and it really made it difficult to watch. They hated it and my friend and I liked it.

BabyGhia
Beck Gold 08-15-2004 12:24 PM
I had the movie spoiled ahead of time... not by anybody, but by myself. All the answers lie within the trailer, just watch all the trailers a few times and you'll figure it out no problem. What kept me interested is the how's, why's, etc. Just all the little information to explain why this ending/plot twist occured in the first place.
Travis Bickle 07-20-2006 01:02 AM
So, this morning, I saw "Lady in the Water", and it's quite possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. So, with that said, I changed the thread title as opposed to making a new topic.
Mugiwara Luffy 07-20-2006 01:21 AM
I don't really want to see Lady in the Water because I know it will suck just like his other movies, but I might just see it because I have nothing better to do and I need to get out of the house.
Chitter-Box-Kat 07-20-2006 01:35 AM
Personally, I kinda liked The Village, but it flowed like a snail and it was kinda boring. I also saw it on TV late at night and only once... Some parts made me jump. And the movie is more suspense than it is horror. Whatev. Oh Well

I want to see Lady In The Water. It looks like the kind of movie I'd like to see. It also has that story-telling, fairy tale feel to it. (At least ti does to me.) And the lady with the red hair reminds me of an elf.
Her name is Story.
David Ryder 07-20-2006 02:32 AM
I also like the village. It was different and a nice twist. And I also want to Lady in the water, but in this day and age, nothing seems to be good for anyone any more.
Buck Buck #1 07-20-2006 08:18 AM
His movies are usually pretty good untill the "suprise" twist ending. It's not really all that shocking when all of your movies end the same way.
Wazpy 07-20-2006 10:54 AM
I don't like his films at all. They're all the same and neither scary or interesting. My friend gives his kid tennis lessons, and I always tell him to ask, "Why do you keep making movies?"
Nine Kuze 01-02-2007 02:01 AM
I recently saw Lady in the Water and all I have to say is "Bad form, Night". "Bad form".

Basically, a large part of the movie was about how Shyamalan hates how critics have been giving him the business lately on panning his films. So, in return he had the critic in his movie killed in a very idiotic manner.

Despite the acting from Jeffrey Wright, the guy who played the critic, Bryce Dallas Howard herself (at times) and Paul Giamatti myself, this movie was pretty damn bad. From the creatures to the poor storytelling and especially Shyamalan's own performance (his character writes a book that will basically be the catalyst for changing society. Too bad he couldn't do it here for his film...), its just a bad movie all around.

quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
I don't like his films at all. They're all the same and neither scary or interesting. My friend gives his kid tennis lessons, and I always tell him to ask, "Why do you keep making movies?"

Good Lord man, please tell you get some kind of answer in return. Because seriousky, this needs to be answered.
Peace.