Dream Theater

Big-O 07-25-2004 11:16 PM
So how many of you are ani-emo like me and make fun of it all the time... Well if you ant to become as cool as me go grab a dream theater CD...

I recommend Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance if you have never heard of them. Usually people getting into them like that cd the best...

Any other Dream Theater nuts out there...

Anybody but me buying the Jordan Rudess CD on the 30th...
LANIMILBUS 07-26-2004 12:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Big-O
So how many of you are ani-emo like me and make fun of it all the time... Well if you ant to become as cool as me go grab a dream theater CD...

i'm going to assume that ani=anti and that ant=aren't.

I know people who hate emo, but I don't think emo is bad. It's a nice sentiment to move away from the super-anger that is so present in rock and roll these days, and emo, while not being a genre that i whole-heartedly enjoy, has a nice sentiment to it. any other thoughts?
Big-O 07-26-2004 01:01 PM
Bah I just hate Emo ever since this one Emo band thought they were better than everybody... I can play guitar better than him... And I don't even know how to play.

But yah back to the topic... Anybody besides me like dream theater?
Prons 07-26-2004 02:52 PM
I love the song "Pull Me Under". Smile
Big-O 07-26-2004 03:08 PM
The Glass Prision eats that song haha!
stryker 07-28-2004 03:23 AM
Yeah, actually. I get into Dream Theater quite a bit. Their later albums are really expressive and moody. John Pettrucci and Jordan Rudess really carry that group to some cool musical places. I prefer Jordan's earlier albums, but I have to eventually get Feeding the Wheel and this new guy... who's title escapes me right now! AARGH! Tongue

Derek Sherinian and his project group Planet X are good too. In fact, I tune into this one webcast station called progrock.com when I want to listen to music not in my collection. Total prog rock, of all types.

When I get done with my fanfic, I'm actually trying to work on a prog album of my own that has elements of DT in it. Now if only I could play like Jordan, he's mad good...
Big-O 07-28-2004 12:31 PM
Yah their albums are $$$ but hey I don't mind paying for them. It's music actually worth it. Also I am pretty sure jordan rudess is in Liquid Tension Experiment's 1 and 2.

If you haven't heard those go get them... NOW
AndroidZeroX 09-20-2004 09:29 AM
yeah dream theater is the greatest band. I like train of thought, but iMages and words is good too. Six degrees is good but theres better. Metropolis Part 1 is good too
Exhale Saga 09-20-2004 03:25 PM
Well, being the metal fan I am, I love Dream Theater! Big Grin They are metal, by the way. Wink Progressive Metal.

I love their song A Change of Seasons. Soaring vocals, amazing guitars, and probably the greatest metal song ever written! Wow, just everything about the song... I occasionally start to tear up over the lyrics.

See ya,
Exhale Saga
Neko 09-20-2004 06:41 PM
Ah, yeah, DT is awesome. My top three favorite albums of theirs are SFAM, Awake, and I&W. Saw 'em this year at the Orpheum show. Very awesome. Big Grin

-Points at sig- Metropolis pt. 1 Tongue
Big-O 09-20-2004 07:23 PM
All about the SFAM!
Neko 09-20-2004 10:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big-O
All about the SFAM!

Hah, yeah, such an awesome concept album. We need like... "Metropolis, part 3: The Third and Last Dance" ... or something. Tongue

quote:
Originally posted by Exhale Saga
I love their song A Change of Seasons. Soaring vocals, amazing guitars, and probably the greatest metal song ever written! Wow, just everything about the song... I occasionally start to tear up over the lyrics.

That one part of Carpe Diem is so dramatic...

"Fearing my deepest fright
She walked into the night
She turned for one last look
She looked me in the eye
I said, 'I love you ...
Goodbye.'"

I can't get enough of it.
AndroidZeroX 09-22-2004 01:13 PM
Theyve been around for awhile and train of thought was made in 2003, so there still goin strong. I cant wait for news on a new album.
Big-O 09-22-2004 09:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DOA SOBF
Theyve been around for awhile and train of thought was made in 2003, so there still goin strong. I cant wait for news on a new album.

Ever since 1989! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Dream Theater Ested. 1989
AndroidZeroX 09-23-2004 01:09 PM
yeah befor they formed dream theater they formed a band called Liquid Tension experiment... u should check them out since its the same guys so the music still kicks ass.
Big-O 09-23-2004 06:45 PM
actually it's only two guys from DT (I think) and they had two cd's wondefuly titled.

Liquid Tension Experiment 1 and Liquid Tension Experiment 2
Neko 09-23-2004 10:07 PM
Actually... before they were Dream Theater, they were Majesty. Then it turned out that there was already a band by that name; so, the only thing put out under "Majesty" were those '86 demos, I think.

And since LTE came out around '98, you could say that there were only two members of DT in it: Portnoy and Petrucci. However, Rudess was also a part of LTE/LTE2. It's just that at that time, Sherinian was still DT's keyboardist. Looking back, you might as well say that there are three members of DT in LTE. Tongue

And about the new album--Portnoy said that right after the Yes tour, they're gonna get workin' on a new CD. So, new album in '05? Yay!
AndroidZeroX 10-01-2004 07:15 AM
do u have a norrower time frame, or is that all thats known so far?
Neko 10-03-2004 11:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DOA SOBF
do u have a norrower time frame, or is that all thats known so far?

Nah, I wish I knew more about when it was supposed to come out. The Yes tour ended though; so, it'd be pretty cool if they were already working on the album right now.

Any of you planning on getting the live Budokan CD/DVD thing? I heard people say that the second DVD disc makes it really worth getting, as it has all kinds of extra stuff. Kinda sucks that there's no commentary for the concert part though.
Neko 10-17-2004 10:22 PM
I have news. ^_^

"We’re gonna enter the studio early next month. There is nothing written down at all. We haven't written any of the music yet. We’d like to make it as emotionally open an album as possible, deep with a lot of feeling. It’s not gonna be heavy metal for sure. Is not gonna be like Train of Thought. That’s out of our system. The album will be more harmonic, more progressive. I am bringing many new interesting sounds. For one more time we're gonna turn the page on our music. The new album will be released next spring and we will start touring next summer."

So says Rudess (http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.asp?...74&mpage=1&key=), apparently. Not sure if it's entirely true. o_0 But yay anyway.