Dream Theater

AndroidZeroX 10-17-2004 10:39 PM
new album will be great, but im a huge fan of train of thought. i bet the new one will be good too, but i would be very pleased with another trian of thought
AndroidZeroX 03-11-2005 11:56 AM
Alright official news is in, New Dream Theater album coming sometime in May/ June. Heres the official story

http://dreamtheater.net/news_dreamtheater.php#newalbum
Neko 03-11-2005 07:52 PM
Haha, I was reading that announcement, and I came to the line that said:

quote:
This album will hold the distinction of being the VERY LAST album ever

And I was like, "...of DT's!?" XD Anyway, cool news, Android.
AndroidZeroX 03-13-2005 08:10 PM
Heres the newest news. New album on June 7th. http://dreamtheater.net/news_dreamtheater.php#octavarium
Neko 03-14-2005 01:00 AM
I was scanning a DT community, and I saw the words "Octavarium" and "new CD." My first thought was, "Eh, some side project." And then I realized it was the name of the new album. Tongue Well, crazily cool, man. Here's some food for thought:

quote:
Octavarium is the eighth full-length Dream Theater album, set for a release date of June 7, 2005. The title is supposedly taken from the Latin translation meaning (very roughly) "Various Eight," as it has eight tracks and has been claimed by the band to have songs of different styles. It could also come from the fact that this is the band's eighth album.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavarium

I think it would be awesome if each track varied in style.
BethMcBeth 03-14-2005 01:42 AM
Coolness thiss sounds quite interesting Ia m not very fimilliar with Bream Therature but I
ll have to give it a whirl! Thanks! ^_^""
AndroidZeroX 03-15-2005 04:16 AM
Yeah its not the last one ever made by DT, its just the last album that will ever be made by any artist in that studio. Idk its famous or soemthing since it was where stevie wonder started out. SO DONT WORRY, Dream theater will be back again after octavarium.
Travis Bickle 03-15-2005 11:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by AndroidZeroX
Yeah its not the last one ever made by DT, its just the last album that will ever be made by any artist in that studio. Idk its famous or soemthing since it was where stevie wonder started out. SO DONT WORRY, Dream theater will be back again after octavarium.

It's also the last album on their record contract. They need a new one after this...
AndroidZeroX 03-15-2005 02:44 PM
Well since that company is shutting down, that would make sense. Im sure that they will get another one though
Travis Bickle 06-09-2005 05:01 PM
Well I drove around with a friend earlier listening to Octavium, and I have to say that, along with Coldplay's X&Y, it's a load of crap. It sounds exactly like everything else. I've heard much better out of prog metal than this (*cough* Tub Ring *cough*).
AndroidZeroX 06-09-2005 08:50 PM
Well i completely disagree. IM listening to it now, and its one of the better Dream Theater albums. I guess we dont approve of each others tastes. Never Enough is especially good. At the least you should download it. ANy true dream theater fan will be very pleased
Travis Bickle 06-09-2005 09:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AndroidZeroX
Well i completely disagree. IM listening to it now, and its one of the better Dream Theater albums. I guess we dont approve of each others tastes. Never Enough is especially good. At the least you should download it. ANy true dream theater fan will be very pleased

Don't get me wrong. Their covers are amazing. I've heard their live covers of the entire album of Master of Puppets and Number of the Beast, which kicked ass (and I think they did Sanitarium just as well as Mettalica). Hell, they even played with Steve Howe when they were covering Yes songs. I personally happen to think they're a better cover band than a prog metal band. And, speaking of prog metal, they're no Tool (in my opinion).

I actually did download it. I had no intent on purchasing it. I did the same with every other album and song of theirs.

Then again, that's just my opinion. I respect your love of Dream Theater just like others respect (?) my obsession with At The Drive-In.
Mike 06-09-2005 09:30 PM
THEY DID NUMBER OF THE BEAST?!

I must find this.

Anwyay, I've only heard a few of their songs, like Overture 18-something but I really liked it.
Travis Bickle 06-10-2005 09:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GAT-X105
THEY DID NUMBER OF THE BEAST?!

Almost as good as Maiden themselves. And yeah, it's the entire album.

It's hard to find the bootleg for it, though...I think.

Which reminds me. If I ever have a popular band, one night, we're just going to randomly cover the entire album of Siamese Dream.
dancinggummi88 06-14-2005 09:38 AM
I've listened to their cd a few times
i recall going to strawberries music store and buying it by mistake. i was going to return it but.... then i listened to it and was like.... hay this is pretty good.
the musical arrangement of the whole thing is pretty well arranged and the lyrics that go with it are pretty twisted as well.
i recommend this cd to and rock fan..... 3 *'s!!!!
Travis Bickle 08-02-2005 07:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
Well I drove around with a friend earlier listening to Octavium, and I have to say that, along with Coldplay's X&Y, it's a load of crap. It sounds exactly like everything else. I've heard much better out of prog metal than this (*cough* Tub Ring *cough*).

I take that back. I listened to Octavarium a few more times and found it to be somewhat pleasing. I'm kind of fond of "These Walls" (mostly for the opening).

Mike Portnoy is also an amazing drummer, and I want his current set. However, I think Danny Carey is the best Prog drummer out there.
dancinggummi88 09-07-2005 11:06 AM
yes, dream theatre is very good, i own one of their first albums, its music not noise!
AndroidZeroX 09-07-2005 07:56 PM
I just picked up the two Liquid Tension Experiment CD's and they are, in my opinion, the greatest instrumental albums of all time.
Neko 09-26-2005 06:31 PM
Oy, I feel lame. I got all hyped up for Octavarium, and then I never bought it. Oh Well

Anyone want to clue me in on what style/approach they went with on this album?
Travis Bickle 11-04-2005 01:25 PM
So on Oct. 11, they covered Dark Side of the Moon...better than Phish did...

These guys f***ing rule.