Big O II DVD Rant

Tickle Tickle 07-23-2004 03:41 PM
Ok, so this Tuesday all of Big O will be released on DVD. There was alot of hype, and promotion for the release. So, we got season two on DVD. But did we get a good DVD release? I think it could've been better. Alot better.

What could have been better? Lots of things. What are things the release could have had?

One thing is extras. Now, season one wasn't co-produced by Cartoon Network, and hardly had any promotion on the release. Yet, it had some good extras. Production Art Gallery, Creator Interview, creditless opening, ending, and that nifty little booklet insert. Now, season two was co-produced by Cartoon Network and had alot of promotion. What extras did we get? Production Art Gallery. That's it. And for people who have the Big O Visuals book, the gallery is nothing new. So what happended to that little nifty booklet insert from the season one DVDs? It was replaced with a mini poster. Why couldn't Bandai give us both the mini poster, and the nifty booklet? Who knows. Now, what could they have given us? For one, an artbox to hold the DVDs. A soundtrack, or a mini guide booklet. The Japanese release had an 8 page booklet with each DVD. Each contained production art, interviews, notes, etc. Why didn't Bandai translate the booklet for the US release? Who knows. There are alots of things they could've done. Maybe do reverisble covers (I'm still pissed at the last cover), give a free Big O manga with the last volume, or a free 'One-Coin' figure. (The last Sailor Moon S DVD came with a free manga)

Next is the lack of the second season opening. Now, the fact 'Respect' sounds like 'UFO' opening is kinda of a reason why they didn't include it. But if it was such a problem, why didn't they edit the song out of the show completely? Not to mention Bandai plays the song on THEIR OFFICAL BIG O II WEBSITE. What difference does it make if the song plays in the opening, or the actual show? Plus, if they could use the song, why not atleast use the animation? The animation with the first season song has nothing to do with 'UFO'. And couldn't they include the second opening as an extra? They used the opening once in volume 3, so why not in the other episodes? I want to hear what Bandai has to say about that.

Now, the Japanese release of the second season was pretty much like the first season release. Aside from the art style of the covers, every thing else was pretty much the same. The backs were black, and had little 'block' screen caps from the episodes. Just like the American release of season one. Now, you'd expect the Big O II DVDs would be just like the first season. Not. The back of the covers were totally different. The back at a very tacky 'Mechaized' theme, and not the slick 'noir' style of the first season DVDs. And the discs themselves look very different. The first season had a very simple black style with a character's head. The second season had some tacky, whacked up, rejected art project look.

Big O and Big O II Discs

Also, some of the menuses were changed on the DVDs:

Audio

Scene Selection

Production Art Gallery

I think the change on the Production art was better, since theres more space to show art. While I think the scene selection has changed for the worse.

</end rant>
Tabris-kun 07-23-2004 03:51 PM
that sucks that there is only going to be production art gallerys in the season two dvds. The least they could've done was put in some of the adult swim bumps in them
BethMcBeth 07-23-2004 04:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 82890
that sucks that there is only going to be production art gallerys in the season two dvds. The least they could've done was put in some of the adult swim bumps in them

Yeah I think that would have been great I think the adult swim bumpers are hilarious. So no song opening? Thats no fun of corse why would they make it fun? Ahh.. that makes me so sad. I mean come on give us somethign thats really fun! Yeah they should have even included things or promotions like "Otehr produtcs to come soon" Or mabe a cd soundtrack.

When I bought my Nadia Secert of Blue Water Collection 1 it had 5 disks with some fun extras but it also included 2 cd soundtracks! Whcih I thought was fun! They should have done somethng fun like htat..

Oh well.. I am still looking forward to getting the Box set of the Second Season of Big O which I am sure I'll be waiting for, for a while... ^-~"
Asirt 07-23-2004 06:41 PM
At least I know the Season 1 box value set is worth getting.
Tickle Tickle 07-23-2004 06:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
They still shouldn't have taken it out completely though..

It's still played within the episodes. But not the in the opening. The first season opening is used, and the second one was used once but with the song 'BIG O!'.

Also, why didn't they include 'Orinigal Japanese' versions of the openings in Big O season two? Some episodes (14, 21) have special openings, and it would be nice if they gave us untranslated verisons.
A Clockwork Tomato 07-23-2004 06:50 PM
I don't care about anything but the episodes. I trust that nothing bad has happened to the audio/video quality of the episodes themselves?
Tickle Tickle 07-23-2004 06:57 PM
ACT, the picture and audio are very good. However, the opening to Hydra (The second opening) freezes up at the beginning. Aside from that, everything is perfect.
Tony Waynewrong 07-23-2004 07:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R-Umino
ACT, the picture and audio are very good. However, the opening to Hydra (The second opening) freezes up at the beginning. Aside from that, everything is perfect.

This sounds like a transition problem. I am not sure if this is because of the DVD or the DVD Player. I have tried my DVD's on some machines, and found that many older players freeze when transitioning from one layer to the other. It is quite common.
Tickle Tickle 07-23-2004 08:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tony
This sounds like a transition problem. I am not sure if this is because of the DVD or the DVD Player. I have tried my DVD's on some machines, and found that many older players freeze when transitioning from one layer to the other. It is quite common.

I've played it on my DVD-ROM, my portable, and my Toshiba. And it still has that problem. Other people at Animeondvd.com have reported it as well.
Schoolie 07-23-2004 09:32 PM
So is it official that there will be no Collected edition of the Season 2 DVDs? I really liked my collected edition of Season 1 - an incredible bargain!

I'm holding out to see if they make one for season 2. If I don't hear anything in another 6 months or so, I'll probably break down and buy each DVD seperately.
Asirt 07-23-2004 09:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
So is it official that there will be no Collected edition of the Season 2 DVDs? I really liked my collected edition of Season 1 - an incredible bargain!

I'm holding out to see if they make one for season 2. If I don't hear anything in another 6 months or so, I'll probably break down and buy each DVD seperately.

We don't know that for sure yet. So far, Bandai have not made any word regarding Season 2 collector's set yet. I will wait until there is one, and from there, I'll probably buy it.
R.Smith 07-23-2004 11:37 PM
Well doesn't that just suck. Mad It sounds to me like they put no effort into the english dvds at all. I would have liked for them to keep the black style dvds, but well, all my complaining won't change a thing. Crying
Zopwx2 07-24-2004 12:12 AM
I'm glad we finally get a chance to watch season 2 on DVD, but yeah!

Why the hell won't they take 5 minutes out of their schedule to just add somthing.... anything. yet they gave us the bare bones in dvd terms.
Prons 07-24-2004 06:34 AM
I to am unsatisifed with the big O season 2 dvds (Well I only have the first one)

My reasons are as follows...

1) Lack of PHYISCAL extras, production art gallery or anything like that does not exite me, I want something, like the Galaxy Angel Special collectors had 2 pencil boards, a fan book, a manga sample, and 5 figures! I want some Big O figures, why? Because having the DVD is great, I watched it a few times, then put it back on the shelf to gather dust, but if there was like some sort of 5 inch Roger Smith figure or some pencil boards I would use them!

2) The menu angers me. While not as bad as "The Ring" (American Version) they sure are not that great, if you ask me I am getting tired of the whole "Cock pit" DVD Menus, look at how many DVDs do that now adays. I say Macross had the best cockpit DVD menus. With that said, on mine any way, you have no idea what optionsa re untill you high lighted them. Well, it could have been a lot worse.

3) the Mini poster SUCKED, it had two sides, but it was folded, so theres freaking fold lines on it, and its also pretty small, but Its the best they could do.

4) After the first Disc theres 3 episodes a disc, that iffs me.

5) There were no coded messages from Jospeh Stalin's ghost in the DVD description, which also iffs me, all good DVD's have a coded message from some facist.
Tickle Tickle 07-24-2004 10:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BishojoSenshiProns
2) The menu angers me. While not as bad as "The Ring" (American Version) they sure are not that great, if you ask me I am getting tired of the whole "Cock pit" DVD Menus, look at how many DVDs do that now adays. I say Macross had the best cockpit DVD menus. With that said, on mine any way, you have no idea what optionsa re untill you high lighted them. Well, it could have been a lot worse.

I like the cockpit menus, but I think it would be cool if they used Alex's Big Fau cockpit for one DVD.
darkangel 07-24-2004 12:57 PM
quote:
Ok, so this Tuesday all of Big O will be released on DVD. There was alot of hype, and promotion for the release. So, we got season two on DVD. But did we get a good DVD release? I think it could've been better. Alot better.

What could have been better? Lots of things. What are things the release could have had?

One thing is extras. Now, season one wasn't co-produced by Cartoon Network, and hardly had any promotion on the release. Yet, it had some good extras. Production Art Gallery, Creator Interview, creditless opening, ending, and that nifty little booklet insert. Now, season two was co-produced by Cartoon Network and had alot of promotion. What extras did we get? Production Art Gallery. That's it. And for people who have the Big O Visuals book, the gallery is nothing new. So what happended to that little nifty booklet insert from the season one DVDs? It was replaced with a mini poster. Why couldn't Bandai give us both the mini poster, and the nifty booklet? Who knows. Now, what could they have given us? For one, an artbox to hold the DVDs. A soundtrack, or a mini guide booklet. The Japanese release had an 8 page booklet with each DVD. Each contained production art, interviews, notes, etc. Why didn't Bandai translate the booklet for the US release? Who knows. There are alots of things they could've done. Maybe do reverisble covers (I'm still pissed at the last cover), give a free Big O manga with the last volume, or a free 'One-Coin' figure. (The last Sailor Moon S DVD came with a free manga)

Next is the lack of the second season opening. Now, the fact 'Respect' sounds like 'UFO' opening is kinda of a reason why they didn't include it. But if it was such a problem, why didn't they edit the song out of the show completely? Not to mention Bandai plays the song on THEIR OFFICAL BIG O II WEBSITE. What difference does it make if the song plays in the opening, or the actual show? Plus, if they could use the song, why not atleast use the animation? The animation with the first season song has nothing to do with 'UFO'. And couldn't they include the second opening as an extra? They used the opening once in volume 3, so why not in the other episodes? I want to hear what Bandai has to say about that.

Now, the Japanese release of the second season was pretty much like the first season release. Aside from the art style of the covers, every thing else was pretty much the same. The backs were black, and had little 'block' screen caps from the episodes. Just like the American release of season one. Now, you'd expect the Big O II DVDs would be just like the first season. Not. The back of the covers were totally different. The back at a very tacky 'Mechaized' theme, and not the slick 'noir' style of the first season DVDs. And the discs themselves look very different. The first season had a very simple black style with a character's head. The second season had some tacky, whacked up, rejected art project look.

Big O and Big O II Discs

Also, some of the menuses were changed on the DVDs:

Audio

Scene Selection

Production Art Gallery

I think the change on the Production art was better, since theres more space to show art. While I think the scene selection has changed for the worse.

</end rant>

That is so wrong!!!! that should have been given that artbook to us too. That is so unfair!!!Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Tickle Tickle 07-24-2004 05:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by darkangel
maybe they did the same on japan dvds.

The second season Big O DVDs in Japan, came with 8 page booklets with production art, interviews, and production notes. Sure alot more than what we got for extras.
darkangel 07-24-2004 05:26 PM
but still that is so unfair!!!Crying
Dork 07-24-2004 05:55 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by darkangel
maybe they did the same on japan dvds.

The second season Big O DVDs in Japan, came with 8 page booklets with production art, interviews, and production notes. Sure alot more than what we got for extras.

Wow. . .

that sucks. ::glares at Big O DVDs:: Azumanga Daioh gets cool booklets in the english releases (the last one even came with a pin) why can't Big O? grr. . .
Asirt 07-24-2004 06:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork

Wow. . .

that sucks. ::glares at Big O DVDs:: Azumanga Daioh gets cool booklets in the english releases (the last one even came with a pin) why can't Big O? grr. . .

The first DVD of Azumanga Daioh also comes with a box and a pin along with a 12 page booklet. The same goes for the rest of the volumes.