Big O II DVD Rant

Jine 07-24-2004 08:35 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I went to FYE today and the last DVD was already on the shelf, and its now on my shelf. Big Grin
Big Money 07-24-2004 09:25 PM
I too have long been angry about the lack of anything in the Big O DVDs... Those booklets would have been really cool.
Benjamin 07-24-2004 09:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R-Umino
Ok, so this Tuesday all of Big O will be released on DVD. There was alot of hype, and promotion for the release. So, we got season two on DVD. But did we get a good DVD release? I think it could've been better. Alot better.

What could have been better? Lots of things. What are things the release could have had?

One thing is extras. Now, season one wasn't co-produced by Cartoon Network, and hardly had any promotion on the release. Yet, it had some good extras. Production Art Gallery, Creator Interview, creditless opening, ending, and that nifty little booklet insert. Now, season two was co-produced by Cartoon Network and had alot of promotion. What extras did we get? Production Art Gallery. That's it. And for people who have the Big O Visuals book, the gallery is nothing new. So what happended to that little nifty booklet insert from the season one DVDs? It was replaced with a mini poster. Why couldn't Bandai give us both the mini poster, and the nifty booklet? Who knows. Now, what could they have given us? For one, an artbox to hold the DVDs. A soundtrack, or a mini guide booklet. The Japanese release had an 8 page booklet with each DVD. Each contained production art, interviews, notes, etc. Why didn't Bandai translate the booklet for the US release? Who knows. There are alots of things they could've done. Maybe do reverisble covers (I'm still pissed at the last cover), give a free Big O manga with the last volume, or a free 'One-Coin' figure. (The last Sailor Moon S DVD came with a free manga)

Next is the lack of the second season opening. Now, the fact 'Respect' sounds like 'UFO' opening is kinda of a reason why they didn't include it. But if it was such a problem, why didn't they edit the song out of the show completely? Not to mention Bandai plays the song on THEIR OFFICAL BIG O II WEBSITE. What difference does it make if the song plays in the opening, or the actual show? Plus, if they could use the song, why not atleast use the animation? The animation with the first season song has nothing to do with 'UFO'. And couldn't they include the second opening as an extra? They used the opening once in volume 3, so why not in the other episodes? I want to hear what Bandai has to say about that.

Now, the Japanese release of the second season was pretty much like the first season release. Aside from the art style of the covers, every thing else was pretty much the same. The backs were black, and had little 'block' screen caps from the episodes. Just like the American release of season one. Now, you'd expect the Big O II DVDs would be just like the first season. Not. The back of the covers were totally different. The back at a very tacky 'Mechaized' theme, and not the slick 'noir' style of the first season DVDs. And the discs themselves look very different. The first season had a very simple black style with a character's head. The second season had some tacky, whacked up, rejected art project look.

Big O and Big O II Discs

Also, some of the menuses were changed on the DVDs:

Audio

Scene Selection

Production Art Gallery

I think the change on the Production art was better, since theres more space to show art. While I think the scene selection has changed for the worse.

</end rant>

HOW COME THEY DIDN'T SHOW DORTHY IN A BATH ROBE Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I would paste that everywhere onto a pm to TONY Big Grin

Big Grin

w00t!
Dork 07-24-2004 09:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jine
I don't know about anyone else but I went to FYE today and the last DVD was already on the shelf, and its now on my shelf. Big Grin

Oh, you suck*! I'm going over there tomorrow! I want that DVD so much. I'm looking forward to going through that DVD and searching for discrepancies between the english dub and subtitles ::everyone stares at her::

I guarantee you I'm not the only doing that.

muchlove
-dork

*Dork means that in the best possible way
Tickle Tickle 07-24-2004 09:45 PM
I went to Best Buy today, and they didn't have it. FYE normally gets things in early though. I'm going to wait until Best Buy gets it since the Big O DVDs are only 14 bucks there.

quote:
Originally posted by Dork
I guarantee you I'm not the only doing that.

You're not. I watch the English track, with the Japanese subtitles to tell differences. I do this alot with other DVDs too, mainly Sailor Moon.

: )
Jine 07-25-2004 11:16 AM
Yeah Volume 4 was 24.99 at FYE, but my brother had a gift card, other than that I got all the season 2 dvds at Best Buy for 15.99
BigNoNo 07-28-2004 06:31 AM
The best buy in my town has them for 16.99....those B******, think they can get away with charging me an extra buck!
Prons 07-28-2004 06:36 AM
They have the dvds for like 14.99 or 15.99 at Overstock. Speaking of, why didn't big O season 2 have a DVD 1 + box, that would have been the PERFECT chance to put in some figures or something.

I swear, sense I got the Galaxy Angel Limited EDTION I want more EXTRAS! I want like, 5 figures, pencil boards, fan books, and a cool box. Not PRODUCTION ART GALLERY! I never even look at the galleries!
Tickle Tickle 07-31-2004 11:24 PM
Upcoming boxsets from Bandai:
quote:

Banner of the Stars $49.98 MSRP
Ronin Warriors (including OVA) $149.98 MSRP
Betterman $99.98
Love Hina ("Everything," the movies, TV series and OVAs) $149.98 MSRP
Banner of the Stars 2
.hack//SIGN $149.98 MSRP
Geneshaft
Escaflowne
Witch Hunter Robin

Okay, now I'm mad. Here Love Hina has SO many boxsets, yet Bandai wants to make a 'big' boxset but can't make a boxset for both seasons of Big O? Or even Big O season 2?

While I'm happy for the .Hack box, I still want Big O to get some damn good treatment.
Asirt 07-31-2004 11:28 PM
quote:
Banner of the Stars $49.98 MSRP
Ronin Warriors (including OVA) $149.98 MSRP
Betterman $99.98
Love Hina ("Everything," the movies, TV series and OVAs) $149.98 MSRP
Banner of the Stars 2
.hack//SIGN $149.98 MSRP
Geneshaft
Escaflowne
Witch Hunter Robin

That's a lot of box sets.
Tickle Tickle 08-01-2004 07:43 PM
Okay.

Got Big O II vol. 4 today.

What a let down. The only two things good about the disc, are the episodes, and the mini poster. The production art, which normally has alot only had Big Duo Inpherno art. No Big Venus or anything. And I STILL want to know why they didn't use the last cover?! (The Roger cover) Was it really because of the spoilers? If it was, then why have Big Venus, and Android Big Ear on the back?!

You really screwed Big O II over, Bandai. No artbox, no worthy extras, and no artbox. I guess they used all their money making ads, than getting good extras.

Anyone up for buying the region 2 releases?
darkangel 08-01-2004 08:16 PM
quote:
Okay.

Got Big O II vol. 4 today.

What a let down. The only two things good about the disc, are the episodes, and the mini poster. The production art, which normally has alot only had Big Duo Inpherno art. No Big Venus or anything. And I STILL want to know why they didn't use the last cover?! (The Roger cover) Was it really because of the spoilers? If it was, then why have Big Venus, and Android Big Ear on the back?!

You really screwed Big O II over, Bandai. No artbox, no worthy extras, and no artbox. I guess they used all their money making ads, than getting good extras.

Anyone up for buying the region 2 releases?

Well...I guess...i'm buying 1 of them ( vol.1 of course) that was so wrong!!! & Tthat is so unfair!!! lousy sunrise inc.... Trying to make japan 1,000,000 times better than us! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Tickle Tickle 08-01-2004 08:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by darkangel
Well...I guess...i'm buying 1 of them ( vol.1 of course) that was so wrong!!! & that is so unfair!!! lousy sunrise inc.... Trying to make japan 1,000,000 times better than us!

How is it Sunrise's fault? It's Bandai, they're the ones who released it. If you're going to buy a region 2 DVD, you should get volume 7. The other booklets are in black and white, while volume 7's is in color.
darkangel 08-01-2004 09:24 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by darkangel
Well...I guess...i'm buying 1 of them ( vol.1 of course) that was so wrong!!! & that is so unfair!!! lousy sunrise inc.... Trying to make japan 1,000,000 times better than us!

How is it Sunrise's fault? It's Bandai, they're the ones who released it. If you're going to buy a region 2 DVD, you should get volume 7. The other booklets are in black and white, while volume 7's is in color.

By sunrise inc, I mean bandai visual!!!Mad Mad Mad
Negotiator99 08-01-2004 09:28 PM
If you want the Second Season's theme song, you can buy The Big O Opening Theme RESPECT. It has the Theme Song version of Respect, plus the full first season theme song, plus the full version of And Forever, plus a Karaoke version of the first season's song, an instrumental of And Forever, Big O (Showtime Version) which is pretty cool, and the TV edits of both Big O and And Forever.

Heck, I recommend buying all the soundtracks. Remember, Audio CDs are regionless.
Tickle Tickle 08-01-2004 10:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Negotiator99
If you want the Second Season's theme song, you can buy The Big O Opening Theme RESPECT.

Have it. But people shouldn't have to buy a CD for a song that SHOULD be in the show.
SmothPocket 08-02-2004 02:52 AM
I'm really glad they released the DVD and now I don't have to wait anymore. I don't think it reallt matters about the art.
Advinius 08-02-2004 02:49 PM
indeed. much with the loving the big O on DVD, with or without art. with art would be better, of course, but so it goes...
Tickle Tickle 08-06-2004 11:24 AM
Posted from AnimeonDVD.com

quote:
Upcoming releases:
Scrapped Princess is scheduled for an early 2005 release, with no word on disc count yet. A special item will be included, but no details were revealed. It was confirmed that there will only be one more volume of Yukikaze, and that Bandai is waiting for the fifth episode to be completed. The limited collections will contain exclusive bonus items (and will not include any bonus items already released), and will be bricks rather than box sets (and as such, the original packaging artwork would not be included). When asked if the fans who had bought the individual discs would be "screwed" out of the new bonus items, Jerry hinted that that would not be the case. Bandai currently still does not have the license for any Galaxy Angel beyond G.A. Zeta. There may be a Big O II set coming this year.

Most likely may be a brick though.
Tickle Tickle 05-01-2005 08:21 AM
Sorry to bump an very, very, very, very, very old thread. But I didn't know if I should just create a new thread or just post this here.

Well, I learned a few more things about Big O's Japanese release. After they released the first series (7 discs), they released an International Boxset(There's a picture of it in the companion book, it's the all 3D artbox). It was limited so, the only place to get it is Yahoo Japan. Supposly, it has the english track too. Also, there was a box for Big O Second Season in Japan too! It came with the first volume as a first pressing, and came with a binder that had looks like the book Metropolis. Every first pressing of season two came with 'megadeus' cards, and you put the cards in the binder.

Here is a picture of the box, and the binder a member from AOD.com posted.

I think the box looks pretty nice, it's very plain though. He said there's only one image, and the backside just has 'stripes' from Big O's arm.

Here's a picture of the Season one boxset, and the inside of one of the first season discs.

EDIT:

Also, the second volume of Big O second season is on sale for 30% off at CDJapan. It comes with a textless version of the opening, and it says 'colored version'. So I'm guessing all the black and white scenes will be in color now.