[Suggestion] Make All Moderators into Global Moderators

Seraphim 07-19-2004 05:24 AM
I think it might be a good idea to make every mod a Super Mod. I see the cross-forum locking (a.k.a. the ghetto topic lock) and if a mod has the power to "verbally lock" the thread in another forum, shouldn't he have the power to do that normally?

And congrats to GK for making it! Woo!
Benjamin 07-19-2004 10:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
I think it might be a good idea to make every mod a Super Mod. I see the cross-forum locking (a.k.a. the ghetto topic lock) and if a mod has the power to "verbally lock" the thread in another forum, shouldn't he have the power to do that normally?

And congrats to GK for making it! Woo!

I dont know what a GLOBAL MODERATOR Is

But

I get the basic concept of the other one

I think its a good Idea as well

~Benjamin~
Hienrich Ele 07-19-2004 11:47 AM
That's total government control, like 1984!

But I think not every mod is global because than they patrol all forums rather than just theirs and it makes them inefficiant.

Plus if one goes crazy, the whole forums would go down.
X Prime 07-19-2004 03:32 PM
This isn't happening, I can tell you that right now. There's a great difference between the tradition of verbal locking and giving SMod powers. Whether you acknowledge it or not is totally irrelevant. I doubt INTENSELY that Krang will give it to every mod, as that increases the chance of complete forum annihilation if any one of them has their account hijacked or they simply lose it.
evanASF27 07-19-2004 03:39 PM
One is super mod is enough...(though I'm pretty sure why you suggested this Seraphim)...

The other's can take care of their respective forums/subforums...plus being a supermod is probably tough...you'd have to check ALL the forums ALL the time...or at least MOST of the time...

GK's got what it takes Pleased Couldn't have happened to a better man. *hands him a beer*

(Besides...giving supreme power to all the mods, it might go to their heads, and we wouldn't want THAT to happen >_< *shudders at thought*)
Seraphim 07-19-2004 04:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
One is super mod is enough...(though I'm pretty sure why you suggested this Seraphim)...

Why?

And anyway, I think it would solve the problem of remote locking issues.
evanASF27 07-19-2004 04:14 PM
what problem? If they can't get to it right away, they can inform krang or Shredder (who'd get it locked that night) or (now) ask GK to lock it (he's around alot more).
Seraphim 07-19-2004 04:23 PM
Well, why'd you say this?

quote:

I'm really interested to know now.
The Fallen Phoenix 07-19-2004 04:36 PM
I'm going to step in now before you two get out of control. Whatever evan meant, he can tell you over PM, AIM, YIM, MSN, mIRC, or any other myriad of instant messaging systems...if you continue this discussion here, it will undoubtedly fling out of control.

This is just my opinion, and as it is coming from a moderator I would think I have a decent grasp of this situation, but I do not think it is necessary for all of the Moderators to become Global Moderators at this time. I believe that, as it stands, we do a very efficient job, especially as we are all able to focus on one specific forum to do our duties. Evan is right in that Global Moderators, while possessing a broader range of powers, also by right possess a broader range of responsibilites. While I am not implying that none of us possess the responsibility necessary for such a thing, I do believe it would hamper our overall efficiency.

Besides, as I implied before, it isn't necessary for all of us to become Global Moderators: things aren't so hellish that evey moderator requires more power at this time. Having GK as the lone global moderator should be more than enough, in my own humble opinion.

I suppose it should also be noted that few of the other moderators seem to have any problem with GK being the only one promoted; at least, this is the impression I got after talking to a fair number of them. While I can't speak for them persay (therefore please do not quote anything I say about other mods' opinions as fact, since this is only the impression I've received), I myself certainly have no problem with it; I fully support the notion. I think that, if Krang and Shredder deemed it necessary, they would promote as many of us as Global Moderator as they see fit.

That's all for my rant...while my previous disclaimer still stands, I'm sure that, at the very least, most of the other moderators would agree with me. And in this issue, I would think it is our opinions which should count the most.
Seraphim 07-19-2004 04:42 PM
You know, Fallen Phoenix, I've never seen a picture of you. In fact, I can't even begin to imagine what you look like. However, I can picture a teenager. A teenager hunching over his keyboard late at night, staring at his monitor with wide-open eyes. He's the moderator of the Megadeus Fighting League, and Ailesberry Farm. He takes a sip of water, the glass shaking in his hand as he sees a post that's most obviously spam in the Speakeasy. And it's not just spam - but it's insulting to members of the forum. A really rule-breaking post, you know. He frantically checks the "Who is Online?" list, but he can't find a Speakeasy Mod online. He opens up the Private Messenger and starts sending messages out to anyone who might be able to assist - Krang, Shredder, Almasy, GK, Stryder. Alas - none are online.

A drop of sweat drips down from his forehead and on to his left mouse button - the mouse button that would, if the post was in the MFL or Ailesberry, allow the deletion of it. His index finger slips off the button, but he's already done all he can, and no more. The spam is coming in like a landslide, and all he can do is use a "verbal lock" to close the thread.

But then, it's too late. The posts come in, overwhelming him like a boat in a hurricane...

And this is what would stop this from ever happening.
evanASF27 07-19-2004 04:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
You know, Fallen Phoenix, I've never seen a picture of you. In fact, I can't even begin to imagine what you look like. However, I can picture a teenager. A teenager hunching over his keyboard late at night, staring at his monitor with wide-open eyes. He's the moderator of the Megadeus Fighting League, and Ailesberry Farm. He takes a sip of water, the glass shaking in his hand as he sees a post that's most obviously spam in the Speakeasy. And it's not just spam - but it's insulting to members of the forum. A really rule-breaking post, you know. He frantically checks the "Who is Online?" list, but he can't find a Speakeasy Mod online. He opens up the Private Messenger and starts sending messages out to anyone who might be able to assist - Krang, Shredder, Almasy, GK, Stryder. Alas - none are online.

A drop of sweat drips down from his forehead and on to his left mouse button - the mouse button that would, if the post was in the MFL or Ailesberry, allow the deletion of it. His index finger slips off the button, but he's already done all he can, and no more. The spam is coming in like a landslide, and all he can do is use a "verbal lock" to close the thread.

But then, it's too late. The posts come in, overwhelming him like a boat in a hurricane...

And this is what would stop this from ever happening.

You have a short attention span you realize that? ... don't you? Laughing Wink

Dude...that was totally irrelevent...someone's around. I've only seen one, maybe three, instances when there's been NO Mod's or admins around during the day. Late at night/early in the morning, it's kinda given...but mainly because everyone's asleep.

Anyways...so what he just advises that guy not to do it again or he gets a warning, or tells him he's getting a warning for it. If it's a string of spam, he verbally locks the thread until it can be cleaned up (the way FP usually does it Wink ).

(and just for reference...there's a pic of FP in the Picture Thread)
The Fallen Phoenix 07-19-2004 04:48 PM
Seraphim, I would think you of all people would understand that extremes are really a poor way of articulating a point and are generally discarded in debates...

But, I'll humor you anyway. If this were "late at night," it is doubtful there would be very many members on (I would know, since I tend to frequent the forums "late at night" and do some of my major moderation work then). Furthermore, it is "late at night" when Krang and Shredder are most often on the forums, and being as GK is on the west coast "late at night" is still fairly early, so he would probably be on as well.

However, even if your situation were to take place (even if it is quite unlikely), I could still "verbally lock" a thread, which has proven to be effective in the past.

Nevertheless, this really is an extreme situation, and I really can't imagine it happening here. You must have a pretty low opinion of the other members, Seraphim, if you believe they could go out of control like that...
Seraphim 07-19-2004 05:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
Nevertheless, this really is an extreme situation, and I really can't imagine it happening here. You must have a pretty low opinion of the other members, Seraphim, if you believe they could go out of control like that...

I'm just saying, that's a possible situation.

Personally, FP, I'm concerned. You're headstrong now, but you never know what the future holds. I wish you the best of luck.
evanASF27 07-19-2004 05:16 PM
so basically...you're saying our forums are damned to hell in the near future?

wtf?!

...dude...you're also calling him names. You shouldn't do that.

*edit*
quote:
You're headstrong now

that's what I meant...you gotta be carefull mr. seraphim.
And anyways...is THIS wide enough for yah -> O_O
Seraphim 07-19-2004 05:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
so basically...you're saying our forums are damned to hell in the near future?

wtf?!

...dude...you're also calling him names. You shouldn't do that.

I didn't call him names.

And I'm not saying they're damned to hell in the near future, but people should keep their eyes open.
The Fallen Phoenix 07-19-2004 05:29 PM
Would you two quit it? I'm hardly interested in becoming the centerpiece in another one of your very pointless debates...Sweatdrop
Seraphim 07-19-2004 05:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
Would you two quit it? I'm hardly interested in becoming the centerpiece in another one of your very pointless debates...Sweatdrop

I'm just looking out for your best interests.

What most people tend to forget is that behind that bold Username, there's a guy, just like any one of us. I want to bring the compassion back into this. It can't just be cold logic - we're dealing with people here, not machines.
Kittie heavenly6 07-19-2004 09:48 PM
I'm closing this. There is no need for this kind of argument.
krang can still respond if he feels the need.
Krang 07-19-2004 10:03 PM
I think the moderator situation is just fine right now. If any more super mods are needed, they will be added as necessary.