[Suggestion] Customizable Username Colors

Seraphim 07-18-2004 06:11 PM
I don't know if this is possible or not, but can it be rigged up so users (like Forum Vets) can select their username color, as well? Of course, the current system of Username Colors must be scrapped, but I think it's an interesting idea.
The Fallen Phoenix 07-18-2004 06:34 PM
I believe Krang has already mentioned this is impossible, as username colors can only be applied to entire user groups (which is the same with rank stars, which is why no one can have custom stars).
evanASF27 07-18-2004 07:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
I don't know if this is possible or not, but can it be rigged up so users (like Forum Vets) can select their username color, as well? Of course, the current system of Username Colors must be scrapped, but I think it's an interesting idea.

Seraphim weren't you the one who suggested the group colors??? O_o

Methinks you guys have enough recognition (what with being yellowed and warned)...and plus forum vets can have silver stars and custom titles...they too have enough to play around with.
Seraphim 07-18-2004 07:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

Seraphim weren't you the one who suggested the group colors??? O_o

Just for the record, that wasn't me, that was Johnny Axehandle.
evanASF27 07-18-2004 07:07 PM
well it was of you two...I knew that much Tongue
X Prime 07-18-2004 09:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
I believe Krang has already mentioned this is impossible, as username colors can only be applied to entire user groups (which is the same with rank stars, which is why no one can have custom stars).

Not to diss Krang, but he's dead wrong if he does it by letting a group have the ability to edit their Who is Online effect, and subsequently editing all calls to render that effect everywhere. Tedious and takes a fair while to code, but not impossible.
Seraphim 07-18-2004 10:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
quote:

Not to diss Krang, but he's dead wrong if he does it by letting a group have the ability to edit their Who is Online effect, and subsequently editing all calls to render that effect everywhere. Tedious and takes a fair while to code, but not impossible.

Well, the "Who is Online" thing is built in to the forums. I have no doubt someone can program this, but it would take a while and wouldn't result in a big payoff. It would be really cool, but it's not essential.
Krang 07-18-2004 10:31 PM
quote:
quote:

Like I said last time, the forum software doesn't allow custom username colors. I never said that it was impossible to hack it in, but I don't think it's worth the effort. And I would appreciate if you would look up my original post (where you would see that I never said that it was "impossible") before calling me "dead wrong." It's funny, you even posted in the same thread...
The Fallen Phoenix 07-18-2004 10:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Like I said last time, the forum software doesn't allow custom username colors. I never said that it was impossible to hack it in, but I don't think it's worth the effort. And I would appreciate if you would look up my original post (where you would see that I never said that it was "impossible") before calling me "dead wrong."

I think it was my fault for misquoting you, Krang. As such, I apologize (I'll admit I was too lazy to look up the previous post, normally I do that...).

In any case, while I don't know much about running forums I don't think it'd be worth the effort to hack in the feature either, since custom username colors just seems superfluous to me...
Seraphim 07-18-2004 10:37 PM
quote:
In any case, while I don't know much about running forums I don't think it'd be worth the effort to hack in the feature either, since custom username colors just seems superfluous to me...

It really is entirely useless. I just think it would have been something cool to have. :shrug:
Kittie heavenly6 07-18-2004 10:48 PM
I just want my pink status stars here Laughing
The Fallen Phoenix 07-18-2004 10:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
I just want my pink status stars here Laughing

You and your pink stars... Roll Eyes
Kittie heavenly6 07-18-2004 10:54 PM
Pink pwnz j00 Tongue
The Fallen Phoenix 07-18-2004 10:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
Pink pwnz j00 Tongue

And I think I'm being converted...becuase I'm slowly starting to agree...Dead
Jonny Axehandle 07-18-2004 11:37 PM
if( $user_data['custom_color'] != '' ){
$color = $user_data['custom_color'];
} else {
$color = $default;
};

<span style='color:{$color}'>Username</span>

Elemetary my Dr. Krang. And if BB works anything like IPB, you don't need to add any queries.
X Prime 07-18-2004 11:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
quote:

Like I said last time, the forum software doesn't allow custom username colors. I never said that it was impossible to hack it in, but I don't think it's worth the effort. And I would appreciate if you would look up my original post (where you would see that I never said that it was "impossible") before calling me "dead wrong." It's funny, you even posted in the same thread...

I deemed FP was telling it like you said it, and ironically I completely forgot the existence of such a post (I tend not to remember posts unless they were particularly notable for argumentative value). As it stands, I apologize, I assumed the statement was blanket, including outright hacking.
Krang 07-18-2004 11:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
if( $user_data['custom_color'] != '' ){
$color = $user_data['custom_color'];
} else {
$color = $default;
};

<span style='color:{$color}'>Username</span>

Elemetary my Dr. Krang. And if BB works anything like IPB, you don't need to add any queries.

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately, I don't think it would be that easy due to the way that WBB is coded (and extra checks would have to be done for security reasons). I'll look at the code just in case, though.

quote:
I deemed FP was telling it like you said it, and ironically I completely forgot the existence of such a post (I tend not to remember posts unless they were particularly notable for argumentative value). As it stands, I apologize, I assumed the statement was blanket, including outright hacking.

No problem.
X Prime 07-18-2004 11:51 PM
Axehandle's solution borders on an ugly hack instead of something that would be seamlessly integrated into the WBB... So, yes, it is elementary... Not to mention decidedly inefficent.

Though, it could be called more secure if you lock in the character limit at 7.
Seraphim 07-18-2004 11:57 PM
quote:
Axehandle's solution borders on an ugly hack instead of something that would be seamlessly integrated into the WBB... So, yes, it is elementary... Not to mention decidedly inefficent.

It's so small, though, I think it could be worked in pretty seamlessly.
The Fallen Phoenix 07-18-2004 11:58 PM
quote:

Out of curiosity, how would you do it, then? I'm sure if someone could come up with a way, Krang would program it in...