Anime Recommendations

Cecil XIX 07-14-2004 12:35 AM
Master Political Commentator Steven Den Beste has posted a summary of several anime here and here.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has seen this series, or if they could recommend their other anime. I have a few other hobbies, so I can't really spend money on anime I haven't seen on Cartoon Network. Wink

On on another note, this is my 500th post. I'm half way there to becomind The Undefeated of the West.
Kittie heavenly6 07-14-2004 12:38 AM
I would not recomend Sakura Wars. I um... didn't like it. and that's being nice.

What kind of stuff do you like? I've seen hundereds of anime so I'm sure I can come up with something for you.
AlexRosewater 07-14-2004 01:05 AM
I suggest Captain Harlock it's one of the best Anime classics of all time and it has one of the best Dubs I have ever heard. But the story kinds of slows down after awhile.
Kittie heavenly6 07-14-2004 01:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by AlexRosewater
I suggest Captain Harlock it's one of the best Anime classics of all time and it has one of the best Dubs I have ever heard. But the story kinds of slows down after awhile.

Yeah that is a good one.
StevieV019 07-14-2004 08:57 AM
Try these threads...they should be of help when it comes to recommendations:

http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/thre...ime+Suggestions

http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/thre...ime+Suggestions

http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/thre...Recommendations

As for personal recommendations...I say go with these, that I dont think many people know about or have been interested in...

Noir
Initial D
X: Tv Series
Jonny Axehandle 07-14-2004 10:55 AM
I would recommend these:

Yu Yu Hakusho
Dragonball Z
Dragonball GT
Code Lyoko
Any Hentai series

I would NOT recommend any of these:

FLCL
Any Gundam series
Cowboy Bebop
Inuyasha

And there is this one anime that you might not have heard of, it is on Adult Swim and is named "Big-O" I would recommend that one.
StevieV019 07-14-2004 12:40 PM
Good recommendations, Axehandle.
Big Money 07-14-2004 01:20 PM
[rant] Big Money's general basis for like and not like tends to have to do with how long a series is. Now, this may seem stupid to you, but I have found that the shorter/more contained an anime is, the better it is. I really can't stand sprawling shows with never ending plots... or plots that don't advance... Thats why I like Big O, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun (what little I have seen) and a few others. That is also why I do not like DBZ or any such incarnation, Inuyasha *is beaten, soundly*, Case Closed, etc. The exception to this rule, however, is Lupin III. Lupin owns. [/rant]
evanASF27 07-14-2004 01:58 PM
HELL FRIGGIN YAH! Cool *hi-5's Big Money*
StevieV019 07-14-2004 02:08 PM
lol....oh wow, this thread is going to crack me up big time...
A Clockwork Tomato 07-14-2004 03:37 PM
Most anime bores me. However, I like anything by Miyazaki, including all his movies, plus those episodes of LUPIN III and FAMOUS DETECTIVE HOLMES that he wrote the scripts for. (I like the rest of Lupin well enough, but I think the Miyazaki episodes are the best.) Miyazaki also did a Lupin movie, CASTLE CAGLIOSTRO.

Most of his movies are available in English -- SPIRITED AWAY, PRINCESS MONONOKE, CASTLE IN THE SKY, KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO.

I'm also very fond of some of the movies that aren't available in English -- PORCO ROSSO and NAUSICAA, epsecially.

And there's a forgotten 26-episode TV series of his that's very good, if you can tolerate 10-year-old protagonists (which I can but many teens can't): FUTURE BOY CONAN.

Some of these are easier to get than others. All the English dubs are easy to find, since most of them are distributed by Disney. Disney wasn't allowed to mess with the story or the animation, and does high-quality dubs, but they screwed around with the music somewhat, making it less good than it was. But that's a quibble to anyone who hasn't seen the movies over and over in Japanese.
NukuNuko77 07-14-2004 03:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
Most anime bores me. However, I like anything by Miyazaki, including all his movies, plus those episodes of LUPIN III and FAMOUS DETECTIVE HOLMES that he wrote the scripts for. (I like the rest of Lupin well enough, but I think the Miyazaki episodes are the best.) Miyazaki also did a Lupin movie, CASTLE CAGLIOSTRO.

Most of his movies are available in English -- SPIRITED AWAY, PRINCESS MONONOKE, CASTLE IN THE SKY, KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO.

I'm also very fond of some of the movies that aren't available in English -- PORCO ROSSO and NAUSICAA, epsecially.

And there's a forgotten 26-episode TV series of his that's very good, if you can tolerate 10-year-old protagonists (which I can but many teens can't): FUTURE BOY CONAN.

Some of these are easier to get than others. All the English dubs are easy to find, since most of them are distributed by Disney. Disney wasn't allowed to mess with the story or the animation, and does high-quality dubs, but they screwed around with the music somewhat, making it less good than it was. But that's a quibble to anyone who hasn't seen the movies over and over in Japanese.

did you take that off Nausicaa.net? Wink
A Clockwork Tomato 07-14-2004 04:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NukuNuko77
did you take that off Nausicaa.net? Wink

Actually, my Miyazaki fandom is pre-Internet -- it started when I saw NAUSICAA in the mid-Eighties, and later stumbled across FUTURE BOY CONAN, dubbed in Spanish, on Univision.
The Fallen Phoenix 07-14-2004 04:38 PM
If you don't mind sticking your mind into a blender, and have a keen interest in giant mecha and/or Judeo-Christian themes/metaphors/etc., I highly recommend Neon Genesis: Evangelion. It is certainly not an anime I'd recommend to anyone; you'll have to see it for yourself and decide if you like it.
Tickle Tickle 07-14-2004 04:44 PM
I suggest the OVA:
New Cutey Honey

It's from the man behind Devilman, Go Nagai. Don't let the title fool you, this anime is pretty mature. The first four episodes are really good, but the last 4 aren't that great. Plus, there's nothing resolved.
Wingnut 07-14-2004 04:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
If you don't mind sticking your mind into a blender, and have a keen interest in giant mecha and/or Judeo-Christian themes/metaphors/etc., I highly recommend Neon Genesis: Evangelion. It is certainly not an anime I'd recommend to anyone; you'll have to see it for yourself and decide if you like it.

With the exception of the religious aspects of it all, it is not that different from the avarage Gundam series. Whiny/angsty teen male pilot that is the only hope to save the world. Hot chicks that die for seemingly no good reason. Mecha is a bit on the organic side, but otherwise it can be a really religiously themed Gundam/Blue Gender crossover, sort of, mabye, I don't know I have not seen it beyond what was shown during that giant robot week on Toonami.
Bismarck 07-14-2004 04:51 PM
The mechas aren't even robots in NGE. They're completely organic aside from the armor, which is purely cosmetic to hide the Eva's true nature.

spoiler (highlight to read):
The so-called armor are actually bindings that prevent the Evas from acting autonomously.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is pretty good, but the path the series took when it was nearing it's end didn't sit very well with me. Oh well, it's not a complete loss. I guess...
Silv3rKnigh1 07-14-2004 05:10 PM
HAVE TO SEE> Excel sage

must must see!

also, Puni Puni Poemy (after excel)

Onegai sensai
Chobits
Tickle Tickle 07-14-2004 05:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Silv3rKnigh1
also, Puni Puni Poemy (after excel)

You should give a warning for that.

XD
The Fallen Phoenix 07-14-2004 05:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bismarck
The mechas aren't even robots in NGE. They're completely organic aside from the armor, which is purely cosmetic to hide the Eva's true nature.

This is very true, but I don't think it'd be right to start spoiling the series...after all, this thread is for recommendations, not synopses. Tongue