[Suggestion] Patron

Seraphim 07-13-2004 04:36 PM
There should be a "Patron" usergroup for those who donate $5 or $15 (or whatever you want) to PCF. As a Patron, you would get the user title changeability feature, a longer signature and maybe something else... some other perk, I guess.

It could put in some good money for the site - like if 10 people became patrons for 15, PCF could get 150 which would probably lessen the cost of webhosting.
Benjamin 07-13-2004 04:39 PM
Would be awsome

But Unfair

What about those of us who want longer Sigs,

But Dont have Money

Or Are Underage to Get A Job

Namely Everyone under 15

X_X

It would be cool

But again Unfair

~Benjamin~
Seraphim 07-13-2004 05:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigDuoInferno
But again Unfair

~Benjamin~


It wouldn't be unfair. That's like saying the forum vet category is unfair because some people would have more time to post here than others.

I think it would promote the forums in a really great way. And besides, it's not like 5-15 dollars is a ton of money.
Jonny Axehandle 07-13-2004 06:08 PM
Good idea. I like it.

quote:
Originally posted by TheBigDuoInferno
What about those of us who want longer Sigs,

But Dont have Money

Or Are Underage to Get A Job


Tough. Tongue
Krang 07-13-2004 10:42 PM
I'll think about it. We're not really in need of money right now because we have had some very generous donations in the past that are still paying for our hosting (thanks to these people Smile ), but it would definitely help if we ever decide to move servers.

What really needs money is The Technodrome. We haven't had a decent donation there in a while, and that server is more expensive... Sweatdrop
evanASF27 07-13-2004 10:44 PM
if you want Krang, I'll donate some money from my CD sales (which will be in a week).

((I just hope I'll have some decent sales ~~))
Seraphim 07-13-2004 10:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
I'll think about it. We're not really in need of money right now because we have had some very generous donations in the past that are still paying for our hosting (thanks to these people Smile ), but it would definitely help if we ever decide to move servers.

What really needs money is The Technodrome. We haven't had a decent donation there in a while, and that server is more expensive... Sweatdrop


Well, you could always use the cash for the Technodrome (and the idea, too).
Krang 07-13-2004 10:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
if you want Krang, I'll donate some money from my CD sales (which will be in a week).

((I just hope I'll have some decent sales ~~))

Thanks, we would appreciate it (keep some for yourself, though).

quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Well, you could always use the cash for the Technodrome (and the idea, too).

I keep the funds for PC and The Technodrome separate, since it's not fair for PC's generous donators to be paying for the "not-so-generous" users at The Technodrome. But thanks, I'll definitely keep your idea in mind for The Technodrome when we upgrade the forums over there (since the upgrade will have better support for usergroups).
Seraphim 07-13-2004 11:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
if you want Krang, I'll donate some money from my CD sales (which will be in a week).

((I just hope I'll have some decent sales ~~))

Thanks, we would appreciate it (keep some for yourself, though).

quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Well, you could always use the cash for the Technodrome (and the idea, too).

I keep the funds for PC and The Technodrome separate, since it's not fair for PC's generous donators to be paying for the "not-so-generous" users at The Technodrome. But thanks, I'll definitely keep your idea in mind for The Technodrome when we upgrade the forums over there (since the upgrade will have better support for usergroups).


People should think of it less as "Paying for the Technodrome" and more like "Supporting Krang".
Kittie heavenly6 07-13-2004 11:09 PM
Over at the Drome, it would give certain people more reason to pretend they are mods...
Seraphim 07-13-2004 11:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
Over at the Drome, it would give certain people more reason to pretend they are mods...


I'm not up on the politics of the Technodrome, but the point of the Patron thing is to make it so that the cost of any Technodrome/PCF costs are lessened. If you have the Patron amount at 15 bucks, and 15 people from Technodrome and 10 from PCF get it, that's a good $375. I'm sure that could be used to help with something.
evanASF27 07-13-2004 11:18 PM
look...I hate to say this (please do NOT take this the wrong way) but if Krang thinks the people of the Technodrome shouldn't have this rank (or GK for that matter) then maybe they shouldn't have it.
Seraphim 07-13-2004 11:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
look...I hate to say this (please do NOT take this the wrong way) but if Krang thinks the people of the Technodrome shouldn't have this rank (or GK for that matter) then maybe they shouldn't have it.


Well, the Technodrome was an option (I originally had PCF in mind). The money, though, would go to Krang's overall cost of running his forums. Yeah, it might benefit the Technodromers, but in the end it benefits Krang mostly.
Krang 07-13-2004 11:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
People should think of it less as "Paying for the Technodrome" and more like "Supporting Krang".

Most people over there have such little respect for the mods and admins that they would have less of a reason to donate if I worded it like that... The way I think of it is that if the people over there care so little about the forums that they don't want to even consider donating, they have to put up with minor annoyances like banner ads and donate links.

quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
Over at the Drome, it would give certain people more reason to pretend they are mods...

You're right. If I implement this over at The Technodrome, I would set the number higher ($25 or so) so that only people mature enough to handle the rank would be able to afford it.
Seraphim 07-13-2004 11:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
You're right. If I implement this over at The Technodrome, I would set the number higher ($25 or so) so that only people mature enough to handle the rank would be able to afford it.


That's actually a very good idea. From what I've heard about the Techndrome, I think a number like 25 would work well.
StevieV019 07-14-2004 07:03 AM
What is up with the recent need to characterize or categorize or place everyone in groups?? Seriously, arent we in an "equal-opportunity" or equality based forum? If not...lets just change the forum to something else. How 'bout cooling it with the user groups and need to separate the elite from the common? Somehow, I feel an ulterior motive behind all the suggestions for group separation... Roll Eyes
The Fallen Phoenix 07-14-2004 07:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
What is up with the recent need to characterize or categorize or place everyone in groups?? Seriously, arent we in an "equal-opportunity" or equality based forum? If not...lets just change the forum to something else. How 'bout cooling it with the user groups and need to separate the elite from the common? Somehow, I feel an ulterior motive behind all the suggestions for group separation... Roll Eyes


Very well put...those are the same reservations I myself have for this "Patron" member group. Besides, I don't like the idea of having to "pay" for a user title and longer signature (isn't the current signature length for Forum Veterans long enough!? Or will you not be satisfied until it's 500 or 600 characters long...Sweatdrop ); after all, that's what it will come down to. Yes, the donations would be for Paradigm City, but you shouldn't be looking for a reward or special recognition when you donate something (else it wouldn't be a donation persay...); if anything, keeping the forums and site running ought be a very satisfactory reward for such an act.

Perhaps if we were in the midst of a fiscal crisis, with Paradigm in desperate need of some money, this idea might hold some merit. Since Krang has said Paradigm is doing quite well (and the extra donations, while delightful, aren't particularly neccessary)...well, I hardly think that qualifies as a desperate situation. Tongue
StevieV019 07-14-2004 08:01 AM
What it looks like to me is manipulation of ideas and new concepts in order to get someone's personal preferences fulfilled. New user title lengths, new group memberships, new stars, new this, new that. What is the point behind separating people unless its to alienate others? I dont think Krang or Shredder are in the business of alienating and subjecting others to classification. They're here for the benefit and service for others in their desire to show interest in The Big O while providing a community based online society for others to peacefully give their opinions under equal circumstances.

From another perspective, what positive effect could doing this provide to the forums? There already is a recognition page for those that have donated to the site. We hold them with high regard and appreciation (as do Krang and Shredder) for their donation. But should those who cannot donate be punished and held with less regard? I dont think so...
Seraphim 07-14-2004 09:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
But should those who cannot donate be punished and held with less regard? I dont think so...


What are you talking about? There's no punishment here. You just get certain benefits for giving cash - it's not like you're giving them an ungodly amount of power or perks, it's just an incentive to help out.
StevieV019 07-14-2004 09:46 AM
Lets look at the root of the idea here...

Party A has the money to donate, and donates it, and is able to get his custom fitted title and all that

Party B, wants to donate and help out the site, wants the custom fitted title and all that, but has not the money to do so, and thus is left out...

Hence, Party A gets the reward, whereas Party B does not, simply because they dont have the means to help out, but not because of a lack of desire to do so.

Sounds to me like an unequal segment or separation could be created...