[Question] Question on Swearing

Seraphim 07-13-2004 04:27 PM
The rules say this:

"Please avoid excessive use of swearing. The word filters are there for a reason, so don't try to bypass them."

Now, taking into account the other rules about not flaming, is it OK to use it in a non-directed context (that is, not directed at somebody) as long as the swear filter "bleeps" it out? I'm unclear on if it's OK if the word filter catches it or if it's never OK, even if the word filter censors it.

Example: "Star Wars" was a really f***ing good movie.
dawnstrider 07-13-2004 07:10 PM
I think that would be alright Smile . I think one of the main things about the rule on swearing is that the filters aren't bypassed for the sake of "just because". Krang or Shredder could clarify better, but there was a thread that talked about something of this manner Smile :

http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/thre...eadid=1691&sid=

Hope that helps any Smile .

Edit:....Yeah, just...remember that part about "excessive" Embarrassed Sweatdrop .
Seraphim 07-13-2004 07:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Stryder
I think that would be alright Smile . I think one of the main things about the rule on swearing is that the filters aren't bypassed for the sake of "just because". Krang or Shredder could clarify better, but there was a thread that talked about something of this manner Smile :

http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/thre...eadid=1691&sid=

Hope that helps any Smile .

Oh, that's f***ing sweet. Thanks for clearing that up.
Jonny Axehandle 07-13-2004 08:17 PM
Nice work Stryder, now he's said "f***" in every last post he makes.
Seraphim 07-13-2004 08:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
Nice work Stryder, now he's said "f***" in every last post he makes.

It's not like I'm doing it on purpose. I just swear a lot. Now that I know it's not against the rules, I can talk like I would with a bunch of close friends. (I don't overuse the word at all)
The Fallen Phoenix 07-13-2004 09:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
It's not like I'm doing it on purpose. I just swear a lot. Now that I know it's not against the rules, I can talk like I would with a bunch of close friends. (I don't overuse the word at all)

I think you flirt with excessive if you do it every post or every other post though...it really isn't that neccessary. I'll admit that I don't have the cleanest mouth, but I find a way to contain myself on these boards...
Seraphim 07-13-2004 09:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
quote:

I think you flirt with excessive if you do it every post or every other post though...it really isn't that neccessary. I'll admit that I don't have the cleanest mouth, but I find a way to contain myself on these boards...

I don't really see anything wrong with letting a few F-Bombs drop if they're properly auto-censored.
The Fallen Phoenix 07-13-2004 09:28 PM
quote:
I don't really see anything wrong with letting a few F-Bombs drop if they're properly auto-censored.

I don't think a couple would qualify as frequently as once per post...Sweatdrop

Which was my initial point.
Seraphim 07-13-2004 09:37 PM
quote:
quote:

I don't think a couple would qualify as frequently as once per post...Sweatdrop

Which was my initial point.

I was just getting the first few out of my system. I've been bottling it up for quite a while. It's not once per post anymore, though.
Avenir 07-13-2004 09:42 PM
You know, one of the reasons why I started actively participating in this forum was the no excessive swearing rule. I admire forums with these types of rules, but now it's turning in favor of the opposite. I have little to no respect for others that do, at least not on the forums. Although I do admit, I use swear words, but I am trying to get over it. So if you don't cuss, at least not here anyway, then you have my respect.
Seraphim 07-13-2004 09:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Avenir
You know, one of the reasons why I started actively participating in this forum was the no excessive swearing rule. I admire forums with these types of rules, but now it's turning in favor of the opposite. I have little to no respect for others that do, at least not on the forums. Although I do admit, I use swear words, but I am trying to get over it. So if you don't cuss, at least not here anyway, then you have my respect.

That's why there's an auto-censor. It's not a cuss if it's censored.
The Fallen Phoenix 07-13-2004 09:56 PM
quote:

I don't think that's true; as far as I'm concerned, the rules on swearing haven't changed. The forums certainly don't encourage swearing, and I don't think Krang would have any reservations handing out warnings for those who do swear excessively.

I don't think that people will suddenly start swearing more often just because this particular rule is generating added exposure, as it's always been in the public eye...yet there still isn't much swearing. I think that speaks volumes for the members we have here.
Seraphim 07-13-2004 10:04 PM
quote:
quote:

I don't think that's true; as far as I'm concerned, the rules on swearing haven't changed. The forums certainly don't encourage swearing, and I don't think Krang would have any reservations handing out warnings for those who do swear excessively.

I don't think that people will suddenly start swearing more often just because this particular rule is generating added exposure, as it's always been in the public eye...yet there still isn't much swearing. I think that speaks volumes for the members we have here.

You make it sound like swearing is wrong. It's just some word that society decided to give it a charge. :shrug:
evanASF27 07-13-2004 10:11 PM
quote:
You make it sound like swearing is wrong. It's just some word that society decided to give it a charge. :shrug:

Swearing IS wrong. All of those words we shunned since at least victorian times to the present. However, because people want to sound like they have power over others (like in most R rated movies), they have become common place. These words ARE wrong, rude, and nice polite. And since most of society doesn't want to degrade theirself (grammar?), these curse words (they are defined as "curses" when used) are often not greeted with much respect. Hence why we have censors as well as many people saying "watch your language!" and "Shut up!!".

Seraphim, stop trying to give yourself an excuse to curse...it will only lead to the quicker destruction of these forums.
Seraphim 07-13-2004 10:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
Seraphim, stop trying to give yourself an excuse to curse...it will only lead to the quicker destruction of these forums.

I'm not sure how me saying "f***" will destroy the forums. :shrug: But since it's not against the rules to do it excessively, I'll do it on occasion.
evanASF27 07-13-2004 10:14 PM
you just used a double negative. It IS against the rules to use it excessively. Sweatdrop

Also using the word "f***" even if you typed out the *'s, it implies you said the word. And even that is wrong, Seraphim. Whatever is wrong usually IS wrong no matter what face it has.
Hienrich Ele 07-13-2004 10:19 PM
Remember the South Park Episode! They are called curse word's for a reason!

What? Oh, you want to know my view! Ok!

Saying damn and hell seem fine to me, anything else I think is not that great.
Seraphim 07-13-2004 10:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
Also using the word "f***" even if you typed out the *'s, it implies you said the word. And even that is wrong, Seraphim. Whatever is wrong usually IS wrong no matter what face it has.

Laughing

Seriously, think about it.

It's just f and three asterisks. No big deal.
Krang 07-13-2004 10:37 PM
quote:
I think you flirt with excessive if you do it every post or every other post though...it really isn't that neccessary.

quote:

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better.

quote:

I'm not saying anything about that one way or another, but my personal opinion is that excessive swearing shows a lack of intelligence. I also think it makes the forums look like trash, and that's not something that I'm going to allow here, hence the swear filters.

quote:
Seriously, think about it.

It's just f and three asterisks. No big deal.

It's not how the word appears on the forums, it's the fact that you're using the word at all, regardless of whether it appears so or not.

My main point is, if you swear excessively, you'll get a warning. If you bypass the swear filter, you'll get a warning. I think it would be a good idea for you to avoid taking that risk.
Seraphim 07-13-2004 10:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
My main point is, if you swear excessively, you'll get a warning. If you bypass the swear filter, you'll get a warning. I think it would be a good idea for you to avoid taking that risk.

What do you consider excessive?