Favorite Punk music

harshfire 07-12-2004 09:41 PM
What do you like as punk? I like Linkin Park and Simple Plan. THey have good music and it's fun to listen to.
dominusofdeath 07-12-2004 09:42 PM
I like REAL punk as in The Dead Kennedys, The Rammones, The Clash, and Rancid. Oh I also like Ska music.
Travis Bickle 07-12-2004 10:27 PM
Dirt Bike Annie is a punk band from Texas that I've been listening to for a few years now. It's 4 guys and one cute (but married) asian girl (on the guitar), and they've had several albums out for a while on a couple of indie labels, one of them being the semi-well known Dirtnap Records. Some people (like mc chris, who roomed with one of the guitarists at NYU) call them pop-punk. but I'll let you decide that for yourselves. Here are some legal download links to a couple of their songs:

Not An Eagle Scout
50th and Bay
Battlelines
Do Whatcha Wanna
Two Ton Wait

They're playing in the city sometime this summer, and then recording another album.

Besides DBA, I also listen to Ramones, OLD Rancid (the new stuff sounds like crap), and a sh**load of other punk bands.

quote:
What do you like as punk? I like Linkin Park and Simple Plan. THey have good music and it's fun to listen to.

How can you call Linkin Park punk? They're anything but punk. They're more like a boy band with guitars who pretend to be depressed all the time. An A Simple Plan? They're more popish than anything. As with Linkin Park, they appeal to what my mom calls the "tweens", which are basically 13, 14, and 15 year olds. However, you're entitled to your own opinion (as I am to mine).
LANIMILBUS 07-12-2004 11:08 PM
I highly enjoy the music of FLOGGING MOLLY.

The Dead Kennedy's are quite good, also.

And if Weezer is punk (which some people say they are), then they deserve to be in this list too, because they are amazing. And their 5th album is going to be superb (Rivers says he's moved away from writing heavy metal and such).

Ben Folds Five is also t3h rock, if you pardon my l33t.
noTomato 07-13-2004 05:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DominusofDeath
I like REAL punk as in The Dead Kennedys, The Rammones, The Clash, and Rancid. Oh I also like Ska music.

YES! THE RAMONES!!!
how the hell is Linkin Park punk? I don't really like Linkin Park, I like those weird/creepy openings they have, but once that idiot starts singing...*BLEH*

New Found Glory is great, cept for that whole nasily voice.
and although they've gotten a bit off track over the years...
GREEN DAY!!! You gotta admit that Dookie was one of the f*****g greatest f******g albums ever. (or at least in the punk world)
oh hell, I love it all........cept for that sh***y Linkin Park sh**
ebie 07-13-2004 06:37 PM
sorry but linkin park isnt PUNK
blink -182 isnt eather but I like them
xana_fae 07-13-2004 06:50 PM
i dont' think that Linkin Park is anywhere near punk....

The Cure is one of my FAVORITE punk bands....oh..and the clash

the music now...is like ska punk, or neo punk, or poppy punk, or bubblegum punk, it just isn't 'punk' like it used to be.
noTomato 07-13-2004 07:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by xana_fae
the music now...is like ska punk, or neo punk, or poppy punk, or bubblegum punk, it just isn't 'punk' like it used to be.

hey, xana! listen to 105.9 on Sunday nights. They have like straight good ole' punk...for the most part. Sunday Night Agro!!! w00t

sorry for everyone else that isn't in our area
Patsai 07-13-2004 09:37 PM
I know Red Hot Chili Peppers did some punk music. I know there are others, but I can think of any off the top of my head.
Buck Buck #1 07-15-2004 12:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LANIMILBUS
I highly enjoy the music of FLOGGING MOLLY.

The Dead Kennedy's are quite good, also.

And if Weezer is punk (which some people say they are), then they deserve to be in this list too, because they are amazing. And their 5th album is going to be superb (Rivers says he's moved away from writing heavy metal and such).

Ben Folds Five is also t3h rock, if you pardon my l33t.

I have a Punk Tribute to Weezer! It is awesome Big Grin
o55goten 07-15-2004 01:50 PM
LP is not Punk. But I voted for them anyways Big Grin
NightRanger 07-17-2004 10:20 PM
Linkin Park? Blink 182? Simple Plan? Where are the legends? The guys who invented punk rock, like "The Ramones" or "The Clash" or one of those bands???
zhinphou 07-17-2004 10:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NightRanger
Linkin Park? Blink 182? Simple Plan? Where are the legends? The guys who invented punk rock, like "The Ramones" or "The Clash" or one of those bands???

word. Screw those fake bands.
Travis Bickle 12-28-2004 01:32 AM
*dusts off thread*

I've always listened to the Dead Kennedys. The Ramones are pretty good in terms of punk (they kind of invented the damn genre), but Jello Biafra's vocals and lyrics just top "Sedated" or any other Ramones song known to man. Listen to "Too Drunk To f***" and "Holiday in Cambodia."

A.F.I., back when they were actually a good band, is also a pretty good punk band (even though they now turned soft and emo-ish). Davey's vocals are also pretty bad ass (though not as good as Biafra's, in my opinion). I saw them back in the day when All Hallow's EP came out. Some good tracks to listen to are "Perfect Fit" and "The Boy Who Destroyed The World."

I'd also talk about Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Choking Victim, and Leftover Crack, but I don't know if you'd classify them as punk.

Rancid sold out. "Fall Back Down" sounds like a Barney song.

Good Charlotte sucks. The only reason I tolerate them is because they gave my friend a record deal.

Speaking of punk, back in the day (try a year or so ago), my old band The Knights of the Round (taken from FF7, for you noobs out there Tongue ) played at CBGB in Saint Marx Place in NYC, which is basically a big punk rock venue from the old days (the Ramones played there a lot). We played there with quite a few other bands, and we were more prog rock/indie then punk, it was still pretty fun (minus all the 16 year old girls in Good Charlotte shirts in the audience).

Edit: How can I forget about Black Flag? Two words: Henry f***ing Rollins. Enough said.
Kittie heavenly6 12-28-2004 02:08 AM
Out of the ones listed, Rob Van Dam.

give me a break there isn't one punk band listed :p
Travis Bickle 12-28-2004 02:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Grunger Kittie Version 1
Out of the ones listed, Rob Van Dam.

give me a break there isn't one punk band listed :p

Would you be so kind as to strip this thread of its poll? It's a disgrace.

BTW, is his opening music still "One of a Kind"? It was right when around when I stopped watching it, and that was a pretty decent song...
David Ryder 02-16-2005 04:02 PM
I choose other. I like The Dead Kenndys, Suicide Machines (old stuff), The Toasters, Catch 22, and many more.
Gummibear 02-16-2005 05:32 PM
My favorite would be Linkin Park ( although I'd have to agree that they aren't punk I'd consider them alternative but anyways)...I like the fusion of rock and rap. Collison Course is a pretty niffty album. Jay-Z's style diffenately fuses well with Linkin Park's music.
Generalissimo D 02-26-2005 06:37 PM
quote:

Originally said by J. Aguilar
Linkin Park is rap and then someone brings in a guitar

Linkin Park is alright. Not a big fan though. I like The Ramones, and certain odd songs here and there, but thats it. Punk rock is one of the most overly exploited and hyped brands of music. Little originality can be derived from those bands, especially those Simple Plan, Yellow Card, etc generic bands. Not to insult you, but they all sound like Blink 182. I give a salute to those that listen to the O.G.'s of punk, but not any of the new mass-produced crap merely ment to suck you for all its worth. Too much merch. Suspect Device by Stiff Little Fingers rox out btw.

Goddamn patch-wearing, button covered, mindless idiots..
Travis Bickle 02-26-2005 07:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigOZ
Goddamn patch-wearing, button covered, mindless idiots..

Dude! That's what makes the punk scene so cool! The style of it all. A good deal of the people that I hang out with dress like that, and they happen to be really intelligent. When you're in NYC all the time, and hang around punk houses and venues and what not, you get to know some pretty interesting people, as well as some other people that dress the exact same way and say, "Hey, man, Good Charlotte rocks my socks!" Those people usually get thrown out and/or their asses kicked.