Electronica music

LANIMILBUS 07-08-2004 09:25 PM
After listening to Boards of Canada, Eiffle 65, and Daft Punk CD's all in the same hour and considering purchase of a few Aqua albums, I think I realized I am a fan of this genre.

And never before have I been known to have an attraction to any particular style of music.

What do you guys think of electronica?
Zopwx2 07-08-2004 09:33 PM
I can't really listen to those electronic repeating techno/trance/whatever songs.

they were made for dancing not for listening.
LANIMILBUS 07-08-2004 09:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
I can't really listen to those electronic repeating techno/trance/whatever songs.

they were made for dancing not for listing.

Most of it's every bit as valid (musically) as rock and roll.
Some of it can honestly be quite complex, but that stuff never makes it to the mainstream radio sort of thing.
YZEtc 07-08-2004 09:45 PM
It doesn't do it for me, really, and the only song that I ever heard and liked and still qualifies as electronica was Gary Numan's Cars .

Usually, to me, that stuff seems better suited to be used as the theme music for some kind of television series.
Ever hear the theme music for In Search Of?
Works, there.
Mugiwara Luffy 07-09-2004 01:12 AM
I guess the only thing I've listened to is Daft Punk. I'm not really a fan of the genre but I like their songs for some reason.
Asirt 03-21-2005 06:10 PM
Just recently, I've been listening to a lot more electronic music than any other genre. I guess it's because I like some of the sounds it provide for music. Most of them are ones you can dance to, but there are also those that are relaxing as well. Some of my favorites songs so far include:

esem - today isa reflection ofthe past
randomajestiq - sleep switch
pinza - alternaton
jean nine - bubblemaster 19100
4t thieves - parts
dorothys magic bag - ghostmachine
slem - repeating sequence
Keith - Accredited Heard
Keith - I could go on...
stud - where the woman left
unicode - poems
pinza - eriment
BethMcBeth 03-21-2005 06:14 PM
Oh God I lvoe it!! I am a huge fan of Effile 65! ^_^"" And also this style of music as well! ^_^"
Travis Bickle 03-21-2005 06:16 PM
Does Mindless Self Indulgence count? Probobly not. I like the Chemical Brothers and Fatboy SLim, though...
David Ryder 03-22-2005 10:53 PM
Not a fan of techno/Electronica/Dance. No matter what it's called it sounds all the same too me. Mindless repetivie "Beats", no thanks pass.
enartloc 03-23-2005 01:55 AM
actually,there are some cool stuff around.
there are some artists who are truely very talented.
like dj shadow,or my favorite,dj spooky.

i can't stand repeatitive grooves,either.no matter how cool the grooves are,after 16 measures they should be dead.
but some artists actually manage to use enough samples to keep it fresh.
or do the gig with a real drumer to fill up the rhythmic creative drought.
like spooky plays with dave lombardo,(ex from slayer,everyone's favorite death metal group.)
dj shadow even put out some long adventurous electronic-opera(like queens did for rock)

great electronic stuff is really not just for the werid sounds,heavy drum'n bass sounds or layers stepping in every 4 measures.
those artists really lay out great stuff in a larger,more musical sense.
of coz one can say there is nothing original,just samples and clips.
but just like collages,arts created from non-related micro pieces.
StevieV019 03-23-2005 07:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Does Mindless Self Indulgence count? Probobly not. I like the Chemical Brothers and Fatboy SLim, though...

See, thats where I face a dilemma. Are Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim considered electronica? I listen to them as well, and Ive heard of the infamous Aqua (due to their Barbie song), and of course Eiffel 65 (Blue)...but I wouldnt necessarily call myself a fan of electronica music.

Here comes the catcher though...

quote:
Usually, to me, that stuff seems better suited to be used as the theme music for some kind of television series

I agree with this, and anything that sounds good, Ill listen to. I wont restrict myself just because a song is a theme to a show. I do think this stuff works well as background thematic music in movies, shows, or as theme songs.

On a side note, I think a "cousin" (if you can call it that) of electronica is trance music, which, of course, Im in to. Weird, I guess.
088nd 03-23-2005 09:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LANIMILBUS
After listening to Boards of Canada

Didn't the Salad Fingers animations use their music?