the hype for spider man 3...

Generalissimo D 05-05-2007 08:28 PM
So it starts, right, and they're on the web.

DEUS EX MAAAAAACHIIIIIIIIIIINA!

Venom's entrance and exit were far too fast and rather anti-climactic.

Topher totally out-Spidey'd Tobey though, and that bothered me.

Could've used moar Venom. And actually calling him Venom.
Big Money 05-05-2007 10:37 PM
I'm guessing they were going to be do the land-the-space-shuttle-on-the-brooklyn-bridge thing, but that would've been yet still more x number of millions over budget.
Mike 05-05-2007 10:38 PM
LAME.

Let me rephrase that. Partly good with scatterings of lame.

spoiler (highlight to read):
It seems like they had a bunch of ideas, but had crappy ways of getting there. Example:
Let's have Mary Jane and Peter be in a rough spot. But the way they did it was by having Mary Jane be a bitch and Peter be a moron.

Venom was wasted. Plus, the part when he said "do you know what you DID to me?" was...emo. He even cried a little. Whiny villains = fail. Especially when it's VENOM, who used to be a murderous psychopath.

Black suit spiderman looked all emo. The part in the jazz club was....weird. And amazingly unnecessary. It had everyone in the theater laughing their asses off because of how absurd it was.

Harry...OK. So he's had this butler who we've never met before, who FRICKING KNEW THAT SPIDER-MAN DIDN'T KILL HIS DAD. But he waits until now, AFTER Harry ran out and tried to kick Peter's ass, and like 3 years after his dad died, to tell him. Genius. Plus Harry got stabbed by his own flying thingy. Like his dad, ha-ha.

Sandman was okay. I didn't like how at first, you sympathize with him because his daughter is sick, but then they tell you he shot Uncle Ben for no reason. And yeah, it turned out to be an accident, and then "I forgive you"and he goes away. That's it? What the hell? That was so anti-climactic. I was expecting him to be turned into glass and then shattered, or such. They even alluded to that when Harry's flying snowboard turned his arm into glass.

Both villains got way too little screen time. Venom only had like a solid 10 minutes, and Sandman wasn't really in that many parts either.

When Harry died. That was lame. Not that he died, but the way they horrendously overacted. Ew.

Bruce Campbell stole the show.

quote:
I'm guessing they were going to be do the land-the-space-shuttle-on-the-brooklyn-bridge thing, but that would've been yet still more x number of millions over budget.

When did that happen?
Generalissimo D 05-05-2007 11:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

quote:

When did that happen?

Bruce Campbell made that scene.

and the shuttle thing happened in the cartoon.
Nine Kuze 05-06-2007 09:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Call Me D. Just D. The D.
quote:

quote:

When did that happen?

Bruce Campbell made that scene.

and the shuttle thing happened in the cartoon.

Bruce Campbell did his thing in what little time they gave him, yeah. My friend has a theory that he's going to end up either being Mysterio or Electro in one of the later Spider-Man movies since he keeps moving from job to job and is not able to hold them down as well.

Also yeah, like D said, what they used for the introduction of the Venom symboiate was how they did it in the animated series. Its not like they are going to keep it real traditional and use the actual introduction as far as the comics go (The Secret War). Because that couldn't really be done in anyway, shape or form.

quote:
Harry...OK. So he's had this butler who we've never met before, who FRICKING KNEW THAT SPIDER-MAN DIDN'T KILL HIS DAD. But he waits until now, AFTER Harry ran out and tried to kick Peter's ass, and like 3 years after his dad died, to tell him. Genius. Plus Harry got stabbed by his own flying thingy. Like his dad, ha-ha.

Yeah, this annoyed the hell out of me too. I mean, really just for continuity sake, where the f*** was he in the last two movies? Furthermore, why doesn't Peter just explain what the hell happened. He had plently of opportunities and not just in this movie either, tons more in the second one as well.

quote:
Black suit spiderman looked all emo. The part in the jazz club was....weird. And amazingly unnecessary. It had everyone in the theater laughing their asses off because of how absurd it was.

Yes, yes and hell yes. Mike, its like you watched this with me or something. I understand the end of the scene to show how Peter is being affected but still, the whole scene was a cheesy gimmick that wasn't that interesting. I mean is is that they didn't even give Black Spider-Man anytime. They only showed him like that once and spent the rest of the time showing how Parker was affected by it by acting like a tool and as an idiot.

And a crying Venom? Are you f***ing kidding me? Like I said before, you expect Venom to be completely dominating Spider-Man for a full ten minutes, I'm telling you right now to lower your expectations because you're sure as hell not getting that.
Peace.
Mike 05-06-2007 12:59 PM
Oh yeah, another thing. When he was running to the big final fight with Sandman and Venom, and stops for like 5 seconds in front of an American flag...was that really necessary? That was another one of those moments where everyone laughed and said "are you kidding me?"

Maybe I'm a commie pinko bastard, but unwarranted hyper-patriotism in recent movies bugs me.
Sharpshooter005 05-06-2007 01:55 PM
quote:
Oh yeah, another thing. When he was running to the big final fight with Sandman and Venom, and stops for like 5 seconds in front of an American flag...was that really necessary? That was another one of those moments where everyone laughed and said "are you kidding me?"

Maybe I'm a commie pinko bastard, but unwarranted hyper-patriotism in recent movies bugs me.

I could swear spiderman 2 had a bit in the trailer where he's perched on the side of a flagpole atop a building, said scene then didn't actually appear in the film from what I remember.

Anyway, yeah...I'm hearing mixed reviews. I'll still probably see it

Crying venom though....yeah again, I just wanted inhuman brain eating venom, but yeah I didn't expect it.

It still looks a hell of alot better than superman returns (which from what I understand, was a plodding, two hour long fanboy ode to superman) so yeah.
Nine Kuze 05-06-2007 10:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Crying venom though....yeah again, I just wanted inhuman brain eating venom, but yeah I didn't expect it.

It still looks a hell of alot better than superman returns (which from what I understand, was a plodding, two hour long fanboy ode to superman) so yeah.

Yeah, you won't get that Venom. You get the watered down lace curtain version.

And I thought you didn't watch Superman Returns? But nonetheless, you're right. This is leagues better than Superman. At least Spider-Man 3 has a plot (too many for its own but still), where Superman is nothing expect OMZG, BIG BLUE IS BACK AND THAT IS YO KID!!!111
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 05-06-2007 10:24 PM
quote:
You get the watered down lace curtain version.

If they went with the actual plot for venom though, it'd take up the whole movie. It'd also be HORRIBLY cheesy (peter parker goes to an alien planet and meets up with an oil like symbiote who bonds with him, then he goes back to earth and eventually tells said symbiote to f*** off? Yeah even if the previous two movies had just thrown all logic out the window to start with, this would still sort of suck). So I'll...accept this I guess. I get the whole theme they're apparently going for judging from the trailers, it makes sense.

quote:
I thought you didn't watch Superman Returns?

You probably couldn't pay me to.

Well..you COULD...but the cost would be so incredibly disproportionate to the results that it'd just make no sense to do so.
X Prime 05-06-2007 10:29 PM
quote:

And I'm bugged by people who actually waste time to complain about retarded things like that. Well, what do you know?

Methinks it's more that you're hyper-sensitive for whatever dumb reason, rather than there being hyper-patriotism. IE you're overreacting, which would by no means surprise me.
Nine Kuze 05-06-2007 10:42 PM
quote:
quote:

If they went with the actual plot for venom though, it'd take up the whole movie. It'd also be HORRIBLY cheesy (peter parker goes to an alien planet and meets up with an oil like symbiote who bonds with him, then he goes back to earth and eventually tells said symbiote to f*** off? Yeah even if the previous two movies had just thrown all logic out the window to start with, this would still sort of suck). So I'll...accept this I guess. I get the whole theme they're apparently going for judging from the trailers, it makes sense.

Yeah, that's what I posted before. You can't use the real introduction of Venom that was straight out of the comics. Since that would involve the Secret War, on an alien planet, and then it would have to explain how he got on said alien planet and why he was involved in the war in the first place and... yeah, you see where this is going.

quote:
quote:
I thought you didn't watch Superman Returns?

You probably couldn't pay me to.

Well..you COULD...but the cost would be so incredibly disproportionate to the results that it'd just make no sense to do so.

You know that feeling you get when you're mad enough to demand your money back but its not really the money you really want, its the time you spent wasting time there? Yeah, that's exact how me and my friend felt.

Next time Singer, moar Man of Steel, less Danielle Steel. Kthanx.
Peace.
Generalissimo D 05-06-2007 11:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
quote:

Yeah, that's what I posted before. You can't use the real introduction of Venom that was straight out of the comics. Since that would involve the Secret War, on an alien planet, and then it would have to explain how he got on said alien planet and why he was involved in the war in the first place and... yeah, you see where this is going.

Ultimate Venom scenario (minus the whole lolparkerandbrockseniorsworkedtogether, or not if the time could be spared) with a classic Venom personality would have been admittedly better suited (no pun intended) for a Venom-centric movie.
Mike 05-06-2007 11:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
quote:

And I'm bugged by people who actually waste time to complain about retarded things like that. Well, what do you know?

Methinks it's more that you're hyper-sensitive for whatever dumb reason, rather than there being hyper-patriotism. IE you're overreacting, which would by no means surprise me.

Oh come on, I haven't overreacted to you in months. And that's not even overreacting, that's just "I think it's annoying."

If you wanted to do a movie where Venom was the villain, do it the cartoon way and remove Secret Wars. Have NASA bring the symbiote back from Mars or a meteor that they caught out in space or something and Peter's science professor is studying it. Bam, that was simple.

Although...you do need someone for him to fight in order to learn he doesn't like the black suit. So use someone lame who you can kill off quickly.
Sharpshooter005 05-07-2007 06:17 AM
quote:
If you wanted to do a movie where Venom was the villain, do it the cartoon way and remove Secret Wars. Have NASA bring the symbiote back from Mars or a meteor that they caught out in space or something and Peter's science professor is studying it. Bam, that was simple.

In any event, at some point venom needs to be referred to as a "terrifying visitor from beyond the stars"
Big Money 05-07-2007 09:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Also yeah, like D said, what they used for the introduction of the Venom symboiate was how they did it in the animated series. Its not like they are going to keep it real traditional and use the actual introduction as far as the comics go (The Secret War). Because that couldn't really be done in anyway, shape or form.

Naw. What they did in the cartoon show was have J. Jonah Jameson's son bring it back by crashing on the brooklyn bridge in a space shuttle... hell, they even introduced his son as an astronaut in 2, and I bet they would've done it this way if they hadn't ran 100 million dollars over budget.

Also, I'm pretty certain 90% of what everyone keeps saying is bad writing, including the American Flag thing, was intentional... it all seems like Sam/Ivan Raimi's sense of humor, having seen the other two Spider Man movies and the Evil Dead trilogy.
Mike 05-07-2007 10:27 AM
the parts that seem like intentionally bad writing were great. Like every scene with J. Jonah Jameson.

My problem with the movie was that certain points used to move the plot along seemed forced. Harry's butler, Mary Jane and Peter fighting, were all for dumb reasons. The butler thing especially ruined suspension of disbelief. And that is pretty damn hard to do in a movie where the villains are alien gunk, and a guy made of atomic dirt.

I also read that Sam Raimi didn't want to put Venom in at all, because he didn't really like the character, and the producers made him do it because fans wanted Venom.
Larry99 05-10-2007 05:55 PM
I would agree that the acting what not very good. The thing that ticked me off the most was that the movie did not follow the story of the characters correctly.
spoiler (highlight to read):
I will start with the Green Goblin. Believe it or not Harry Osborn never becomes a Green Goblin but acually killed his father. There were a total of 3 to 4 Green Goblins and Harry is not any of then and 2 of them are not even Osborns. Venom never kills a Green Goblin EVER. Now Sandman, if I remember correctly, the movie calls Sandman Flink Marko. That name is his alias and his real name is William Baker. That fact is never said in the movie. Venom and Sandman did join forces as part of the Sinister Six and was betrayed by Venom. Now Venom, the biggest let down of the movie. His apperance is totaly wrong. The symbiote joined Eddie Brock and made the suicidal cancer patient become Venom. The symbiote made the cancer go into remission but later came back. Eddie dies of cancer, not an explosion. The symbiote then goes to Angelo Fortunato but, as Venom, falls to his death. Finally the symbiote goes to Scorpion and became the third Venom. Carnage, the spawn of Venom, now cannot be in any of the movies because Venom is dead. Carnage is stronger than Venom.

What Venom should look like click here.
Big Money 05-10-2007 06:07 PM
Not liking it because it isn't exactly the same as the source material is inane, especially since the source material isn't exactly Shakespeare...

... Hell, it got treated better than most Shakespeare adaptations.

... and Harry Osborn definitely becomes the Green Goblin at some point, I own an issue with him as the Goblin.
Generalissimo D 05-10-2007 06:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
Not liking it because it isn't exactly the same as the source material is inane, especially since the source material isn't exactly Shakespeare...

... and Harry Osborn definitely becomes the Green Goblin at some point, I own an issue with him as the Goblin.

But he was the New Goblin.
Nine Kuze 05-11-2007 01:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money

I'm with Money here, I'm sure where Larry99 is going with this angle.

Those issues are REALLY pushing it and are ticky-tack and such. Also yeah, Harry Osbourne did eventually become the Green Goblin and died saving Peter's life by sacrificing his own. Check your sources beforehand, man. And the sad this is, Money is spot on about the Shakespeare.

quote:
Originally posted by Call Me D. Just D. The D.
But he was the New Goblin.

That's just a stupid title though.
Peace.