the hype for spider man 3...

Mugiwara Luffy 07-09-2004 01:49 AM
No, I don't like this. They can't put Venom in the next movie. First of all, he pretty much requires a movie of his own, and second, any movie with Venom in it would have to be rated R. I think the logical choice for a villain pair-up in SM3 would be Hobglobin and the Lizard (since they did a bit of character development for Dr. Connors in SM2).
Raven 07-09-2004 02:10 AM
What ever happened to that Scorpion guy? I always thought he was some kinda main villian.
The Big Finale 07-09-2004 02:16 AM
Oh, yeah! I completely forgot about him! He'd make a good villain too.
seraphjei 04-05-2006 08:34 PM
alive!
It seems as though an official plot outline is released but since it seems like its not quite a truly "valid" source I wouldn't get my hopes up until Sony updates the main site with a plot update.
Plot outline

*edit* Would any of the admins be so kind as to place this into the correct forum?
Sir Nise 04-05-2006 09:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Raven
What ever happened to that Scorpion guy? I always thought he was some kinda main villian.

He's cool, not as cool as the Rhino though.

I hope the Spiderman 3 has as extreme as fights as in the second. (too many as's?) The Doc Oc-SM Fights, what?!
I graduate 07!
Travis Bickle 07-23-2006 10:46 PM

This movie will be tits.
Big Money 07-23-2006 10:53 PM
Haaangin' ouuut, dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun, doowwwwnnn the streeettt, dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun...

Yeah, I think so. Though that image looks Teh Fake. Its a shame Sony didn't make it look nicer. Anyone else notice his sharp teeth?
Nine Kuze 07-24-2006 02:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Bickle

This movie will be tits.

Oh Your God. That's just amazing.

quote:
Originally posted by B-Money
Yeah, I think so. Though that image looks Teh Fake. Its a shame Sony didn't make it look nicer. Anyone else notice his sharp teeth?

Yeah, I noticed the sharp teeth too. But even if the poster looks fake, you gotta admit that the picture is as sweet as you know what.
Peace.
Mugiwara Luffy 07-24-2006 03:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
Anyone else notice his sharp teeth?

Yeah, but this is supposed to be Eddie Brock aka Venom, not Peter Parker. Venom, as you remember, has very sharp teeth.

And I second what Scott said, the movie will be tits. I remember seeing the trailer before Superman Returns. It was the highlight of that particular movie going experience.
Pie_Junkie 07-24-2006 08:02 PM
I'm pysched that they're (maybe) putting Eddie in the next movie but c'mon, pick someone better for the part.
R.Smith 07-24-2006 08:34 PM
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies/spi...3/001073383.cfm
SONY PANEL: ‘SPIDER-MAN 3’
Surprises abound as Raimi trots out cast and officially announces Venom as a villain

The center of the comic book universe revolved around Hall H at the San Diego Convention Center on Saturday afternoon as Sony/Columbia Pictures surprised a throng of amped-up fans by bringing out much of the cast of “Spider-Man 3” to accompany director Sam Raimi, the only guest listed in the program. Earlier, he and producer Laura Ziskin unveiled a new, unfinished trailer in the works that culminated with the first official sighting of fan-favorite Spider-Man villain, Venom, much to the delight of the capacity crowd.

“It’s great to be here with you guys,” said Raimi as he first stepped up to the podium. “You guys are great. I love this Comic-Con crowd.” He added that principal photography on the film wrapped up two weeks ago.

Raimi and Ziskin teased the audience at first by saying they didn’t have time to create something for the show, because they still have 10 months to go and the special effects were nowhere near done.

“But you know what?” toyed Raimi. “DO YOU KNOW WHAT?”

“What?” they yelled back in anticipation.

“Because you have been supportive and loyal fans–and this is something I would never do under any other circumstances–I have brought some unfinished footage to show you!” he announced. “I won’t show this to anybody else. We had hoped that this particular crowd would understand the unfinished nature of this footage. It’s just for you guys because I know you guys like comic books and Spider-Man like I do. So you’re going to see some really raw stuff and we did these really temp fixes to make it look more finished than it really is… Well, it’s a mess, damn it!”

At that, the trailer started. As imagery played of Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker standing in front of a mirror and unbuttoning the top of his shirt to reveal the symbiote-induced black suit underneath, a voiceover of Aunt May (Rosemary Harris) said, “Uncle Ben wouldn’t want us to have revenge in our hearts. It’s like a poison that can take you over and turn you into something ugly.”

Then it cuts to a scene of Topher Grace as Eddie Brock, praying in a church, imploring God to kill Peter Parker. A series of short snippets followed in quick succession: several showing black-suited Spider-Man in action; one with Peter trying to tear it from his body and letting loose a primal scream; Thomas Haden Church as Sandman fighting against the wall-crawler and New York City policemen; Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacy; Harry Osborn as the new Green Goblin and the pièce de résistance, Brock looking up in the bell tower and muttering, “Parker,” just before a piece of the symbiote drips onto his hand and consumes him, turning him into Venom–complete with the gigantic eyes, ebony costume and wild, fang-like teeth.

Throughout the trailer, there was tons of unpolished animation footage, but the audience didn’t seem to mind as the footage was met with a rousing standing ovation.

After the applause died down, Raimi welcomed many of principal the cast on stage: Kirsten Dunst, Howard, Church, Grace and Maguire. James Franco was unable to attend. The crowd went into a tizzy at the sight of the assembled talent on stage, flash cameras erupting in a fantastic light show. One fan exclaimed, “Oh… my… God!” while others screamed, “I love you Tobey!”

A question-and-answer period started and here is some of what was revealed:
  • When a fan asked which of Venom’s origin stories was going to be used in the film (implying if it was going to have an alien beginning), Grace replied, “I’m still not exactly sure about what we can and can’t say, but I will say what was great about playing Eddie Brock–and I had a lot to ask Sam because I was a big fan of the character, “particularly when Todd McFarlane was drawing him during the late ’80s”–was that he’s a more of a doppelganger for Peter. They’re both reporters at The Bugle, they both have the same taste in women and it’s really a case study if someone who is very similar to Peter got the same power but didn’t really have a good upbringing.”

• A lot of great ideas were pulled from original Venom artist Todd McFarlane and other writers and artists who worked on the character, said Raimi. “A lot of the classic moments that all are of you are familiar with, we tried to recognize what they were and bring them to life with as much drama and honesty while trying to keep their cosmic reality a little more balanced for our human world” he added.

• “I hadn’t played a bad guy before,” said Grace, when asked how he prepared to play Venom. “When you play an antagonist, there’s a bell that goes off when you go outside the zone of reality. But with Venom, there’s no bell going off. You can really do anything. And we took advantage of that.”

• “You’re going to see the Peter Parker that you’re familiar with but he’s going to go into some different areas that may be a little bit shocking,” said Maguire about how he prepared to play a darker role.

• Raimi hopes to work both with Christopher Young and Danny Elfman to score the film.

• Maguire read about four years’ worth of 1960s-era Spider-Man comics after he got the role of Peter Parker. “When I cast Tobey, he told me he had been a fan his whole life,” said Raimi. “You do what you have to do to get a job,” quipped Maguire as the crowd laughed.

• “In [‘Spider-Man 3’], Harry Osborn is a little upset about his father and he does want to wreak some vengeance on Peter Parker, so he uses some of his father’s technology to come after Pete,” said Raimi about Osborn’s role in this film. “He’ll neither be [the Green Goblin or Hobgloblin], but he’ll have elements that are similar.”

• New poster images were debuted of Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy, Harry Osborn as the “new” Goblin, Sandman, Venom and black-costume Spider-Man.

• Maguire didn’t want to delve into what extent they go into exploring the darkness of Spider-Man in the film, but he did say he had a lot of fun doing it.

• “Raimi was a very nurturing director,” said Church about working with Raimi. “He even offered his breast at times,” he joked. “Thank you, thank you so much,”

• “He brings a great humanity to the character of Sandman,” said Raimi on Church’s portrayal. “He makes him into a real person. He’s not a comic book villain. He’s someone with a past, a family and a story. Church has a great attention to detail. His scenes with Tobey have a great dynamic and are some of the best parts in the picture.”

• When a fan wearing a Superman S-shield T-shirt walked up to the mic to ask a question, Raimi took him to task. “What’s that on your shirt? Oh, that’s that new Spider-Man logo I’ve been seeing everywhere.”

• “More than anything, it was a tremendous responsibility,” said Howard about bringing to life Gwen Stacy, a revered character in the Spider-Man universe. “This character is so beloved and I really just wanted to do a good job for you guys. I did my best. Please like me!”

• “I’ve always been a fan of Michele Pfeiffer’s Catwoman, so I’d rather be a villain than a superheroine,” said Dunst when asked what superhero she would want to be.

• Raimi would like to start up another “Evil Dead” movie once he’s done with “Spider-Man 3,” but have a young director take it on.

• “In this movie, we will be tying up some storylines that have been open from the first couple of movies,” revealed Maguire when asked if this is the final film. “There will be some conclusions, but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily the end. I think we’re going to leave it open-ended because we’re not quite sure what’s going to happen. If there are stories worth telling, then we’ll tell them.”

• “It took be about 45 minutes to put on the suit and four-and-a-half hours to put on the makeup, so I can’t wait to see it on screen,” said Grace about playing Venom. “I want to see it more than all of you combined.”

• A fan asked Dunst which is her favorite villain to have been captured by, since Mary Jane is always the damsel in distress in the movies. As she pondered her answer, Grace said under his breath, “Venom!” And Dunst quickly said, “You just gave something away!”

• “Venom has always been a character the fans have loved, and that’s really why he’s in this third one,” said Raimi when asked why he went with the villains that he did with this installment. “[Producer] Avi [Arad] made me aware that we can’t just do the things that are our personal favorites, we also have to listen to the fans and bring their favorites to the screen. And in learning about Venom, I really developed a great appreciation for him. I was a more ’60s and ’70s Spider-Man guy. But the moment I really fell in love with Venom was when [screenwriter] Alvin Sargent wrote him as a character and moreso finally when Topher played him because then he became a human being to me. And that’s what I had been objecting to [when I first considered Venom]: his lack of humanity. [Venom was] not at the level of the other Stan Lee characters and villains I had seen in the past. The cosmic nature of him was in defiance of what we had done. But once I saw Topher play him, I also fell in love with Venom, becoming the latest fan of the character. But because it was an exploration of Peter’s dark side, the black suit, Venom actually really started to work for me.”

• “The reason Harry is one of our potential villains is because it really came out of the movie stories, and this was the logical conclusion to tell this part of his story and his new relationship with Peter Parker,” said the director on Harry Osborn’s role. Raimi wouldn’t go into Sandman at all because he didn’t want to give away too much.

• A fan asked about the ring seen in the teaser trailer and if Peter proposes to Mary Jane in the film, and how that’s affected by the love triangle with Gwen Stacy. No one would comment.
Mike 07-24-2006 08:48 PM
Isn't Eddie Brock supossed to be ...you know, diesel and huge as hell?
Pie_Junkie 07-24-2006 08:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

That's why I have a problem with the actor choosen.
Big Money 07-24-2006 11:20 PM
quote:
“I’m still not exactly sure about what we can and can’t say, but I will say what was great about playing Eddie Brock–and I had a lot to ask Sam because I was a big fan of the character, “particularly when Todd McFarlane was drawing him during the late ’80s”–was that he’s a more of a doppelganger for Peter. They’re both reporters at The Bugle, they both have the same taste in women and it’s really a case study if someone who is very similar to Peter got the same power but didn’t really have a good upbringing.”

That's why. I think he looks cool, if not the big musclebound dude from the cartoon series.
Generalissimo D 07-25-2006 07:51 AM
quote:

Brock wasn't really all that buff when he first became Venom. The muscle bulking came with it or something.

And yeah, what Money said.
Generalissimo D 08-01-2006 06:34 PM
Nine Kuze 03-02-2007 12:05 AM
I'm bringin' it back...

That is all. Discuss?
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 03-02-2007 08:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
quote:

Brock wasn't really all that buff when he first became Venom. The muscle bulking came with it or something.

And yeah, what Money said.

Yeah after he sort of snapped he began working out with the intent of beating the crap out of parker, then when the symbiote got him he just got even stronger (or do I have this backwards)

Also they keep mentioning venom being in this...do they just mean the symbiote or are we actually going to see the symbiote post-rejection bond with brock and become the awesome brain-eating entity that is venom

Then again this movie could be two hours of nothing but venom tearing people apart, with no dialogue or evident plot, and I'd be okay with it probably

edit: Please no carnage ever though. As interesting as the idea of venom trying to basically kill some detatched part of himself is, Carnage just always seemed sort of annoying and stupid.

At least no "funny" carnage. In the comics he wound up sounding more like a fourteen year old who thought they were 'dark' than he did an entity pretty much solely fueled by homicidal madness
Nine Kuze 03-06-2007 04:56 PM
Here's a link with some clips of Spider-Man 3.

Harry's Green Goblin get-up looks somethin' so stupid in my book. Also, the last two shots have me excited.

Very much so.

quote:
edit: Please no carnage ever though. As interesting as the idea of venom trying to basically kill some detatched part of himself is, Carnage just always seemed sort of annoying and stupid.

I've... always liked Carnage myself. Only because I grew up watching the Spider-Man animated series and I always saw him as a red/black and smaller version of Venom, which was cool. Granted, I never read the comics with the storyline delving that much and squarely about Carnage (with Maximum Carnage and what else have you), so I guess I don't share the same anxiety of Carnage as others do.

Brock was like average build before Venom. After he went over the edge with Parker and Spider-Man, the symboiate came and he became Venom. After that, he started working out and got even stronger physically and such.

Still, check out the clips at the link above.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 05-05-2007 01:06 PM
Double post? Just my f***ing luck.

Well anyway, I went to the premiere with two of my friends last night, it was a packed house, a lot of confusion just to get in the damn theater and we spent like three and a half hours in the place altogether.

Now let me start bitching about the movie. You know those early reviews about Spider-Man 2 being better than Spider-Man 3 (they're out there)? They're true.

Overall, 3 was botched down with too much of the emotional angles with Parker, Watson, Osbourne, Stacy and hell Brock himself and of course with ol' boy Venom in there... they kind of jacked him up in my opinion. There was nothing wrong with having three villains in the movie. Sure at times it seemed like Sam Raimi almost forgot he had another villain to work into the mix but yeah, for the most part it worked.

Kirsten Dunst showed a lot in her effort to show Mary Jane's frustation with both her own career and with the affection Spider-Man is getting and how its going to Peter's head but still, she was leagues better in the second movie. I really didn't like what happened to Harry in the beginning but it wasn't bad in the long run and the two fights with him and Peter wasn't bad, especially how Peter ended it. They gave a lot of depth and emotion to Flint Marko (Sandman) as well, even if that goes away from the comics a bit. Thomas Haden Church did a good job with him and Topher Grace was... well, you can either take or keep him as Eddie Brock. He had the pompus and arrogant jerk down alright but the feeling of him being Eddie Brock wasn't there you know? Its like he was playing a more aggressive version of his character from That 70's Show at times, and just as plucky too. And yeah, people were bitching about it before but having Grace not as physically fit as Brock really does make an actual difference. I know Raimi was going for Brock to be Parker's doppleganger but it just wasn't all that convincing really. Oh and Bryce Dallas Howard was fine as Gwen Stacy.

One thing that I felt was really weak was that they hardly gave anytime with Spider-Man in the black costume. I mean, there was all this build up and he only goes out in it once. The rest of the time, Raimi devotes to how the Venom symbioate effects Peter Parker and that's important in itself but its also important to show how Spider-Man would be effected as well. But then again, that was the essential and glaring flaw since the first Spider-Man with Maguire's performance between the two characters. Good Peter Parker, weak Spider-Man.

Like I said before, they played a lot of time into the romantic involving Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson which isn't bad but it seemed a little bit too forced by bringing Harry and Gwen into it. That was even more shown when the symbioate is affecting Parker and making him more aggressive. When Maguire was doing the whole "Peter is influenced by Venom now, he's ebil" thing, it was kind of dancing on the edge of being campy and over the top as far as acting goes. I mean, people in the theatre were laughing when he would shake his hair up to try and get his James Dean on in the mirror. Some of it was just... eccentric and not the good kind.

I'm not going to spoil the end but I'm just going to say this and leave it at that; Venom basically got handed his and he asked for Sandman's help on top of that (since when the f*** did he need help?). He didn't dominate all that much, at least if you read the comics and even watched the animated series, it wasn't even close. Spider-Man got a lot of help with that one and Venom just wasn't all that assertive. At least with the CGI at work, Venom looked f***ing amazing though. And the end was just a lot of crying and Sandman's departure was just... like something you'd expect from a Lifetime movie almost.

So yeah, that's what I got on Spider-Man 3 for now. It was emotional which worked in its favor for the most part but it really affected the rest of the movie and Venom was good but he really needed much more time, both with Brock and with Spider-Man. And the supporting cast was good as well, from Church to Bruce Campbell who was quite funny in his own scenes. But yeah with the first three movies out of supposedly six, Spider-Man 2 is for sure the best of the trilogy. The third one gets an A for effort and partical credit at least.
Peace.