[Suggestion] A Battle System Integrated With PCF

Travis Bickle 07-04-2004 01:00 AM
What I'm about to propose is a major additon to the forums (if added) compared to just adding a different rank:

A friend of mine runs a Grandia forum on Gamespy (http://www.rpgplanet.com/grandia),and has created (and coded) on his own a battle system that is integrated with his forums. What I mean by a battle system is that users fight other users, users fight npcs, users and other users join together to fiight npcs, users and other users join together to fiight other users, etc. With money collected through battle (and some given to users at start), users are able to purchase weapon, armor, and other battle necessities to add on/upgrade their charachter. These battles take place over time, as in you don't have to wait online to take your turn (did I mention they're turn based?). If you lose a battle, you just replenish your HP (did I mention that it is an RPG based battle system?) and start another one . It works perfectly Big Grin .

What I want to propose is to add this to Paradigm City and make it totally seperate from the MFL, which is a great part of PCF that I have not commited myself to. Imagine, each user has their own megadeus, the ability to add weapons, armor and special attacks to their megadeus, and the ability to join with others to fight against other user and/or NPC megadeuses.

Say that I have a megadeus. I add a weapon to it, like a beam cannon (or something Big O-Like) and some defense (like big O's Armor plates). I can than chose to battle another user's megadeus, join up with them in battling another user or a NPC Foreign Megadeus. This is all integrated with the fforums, would add an extra ranking to each user for wins/losses, and would work like a real turn-based rpg (like FINAL FANTASY), not replacing/keeping seprate from the MFL.

My friend is willing to work with the Admin of the this forum in coding this/integrating this battle system into the forums, because it will take a lot of work. However, in the end, users will each be able to fight each other and/or npcs with their upgradeable megadeuses.

If any of the admins are interested, please talk to me, and I will give you the information you need to contact my friend.
X Prime 07-04-2004 01:36 AM
There isn't a decent one for WBB2 I don't think.

And I doubt Krang'll make one... It requires an extreme amount of time.
Krang 07-04-2004 03:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but due to the server problems, I'm a little hesitant to add anything to the forums that will require extensive use of the database, since the forums alone are already running pretty slow at times. It sounds like a fun idea, though (and I would be willing to take the time to help code it if people would use it), so I'll keep the idea in mind if we ever move to a better server.
Travis Bickle 07-04-2004 10:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
Thanks for the suggestion, but due to the server problems, I'm a little hesitant to add anything to the forums that will require extensive use of the database, since the forums alone are already running pretty slow at times. It sounds like a fun idea, though (and I would be willing to take the time to help code it if people would use it), so I'll keep the idea in mind if we ever move to a better server.

He also might be interested in hosting the site. Yes, THE ENTIRE SITE!
evanASF27 07-04-2004 11:03 PM
O_o

Does one person possess THAT much bandwidth?!?!? o.o;;;; HOLY SHITAKE MUSHROOMS! Dead
Krang 07-05-2004 01:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ignignokt
He also might be interested in hosting the site. Yes, THE ENTIRE SITE!

Thanks for the offer! I would have to know a little more about the price, reliability, available bandwidth and space, and server software, but I'll definitely consider it since there are alot of problems with our current host...
Seraphim 07-05-2004 01:25 AM
How much bandwidth and database space does this site use, anyway? Just wondering.
Krang 07-05-2004 01:43 AM
The site and forums together use about 35GB a month, and the downloads site uses an additional 5GB, so about 40GB a month would be the absolute minimum. The database takes up just under 200MB, and the site itself takes up nearly 500MB of disk space.
Seraphim 07-05-2004 01:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
The site and forums together use about 35GB a month, and the downloads site uses an additional 5GB, so about 40GB a month would be the absolute minimum. The database takes up just under 200MB, and the site itself takes up nearly 500MB of disk space.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

35GB! Woah, damn... that's huge...

That guy probably couldn't handle that much bandwidth.
Kittie heavenly6 07-05-2004 01:46 AM
lol 40GBs is what my site has of bandwidth a month. this place would so kill my server.
Jonny Axehandle 07-05-2004 08:59 AM
*hugs SmooveNET premium account* Muha!! 1,500 MB of disk space!!

Back on topic, I am making a few RPG Mods for my own board. They could be somewhat recoded to work here.
Prons 07-12-2004 04:30 AM
What ever happened to Imagination? It used to be we didn't need some big ol intergration, just a guy with a dice rolling program and an idea.