[Suggestion] Member Map

Zopwx2 06-24-2004 02:38 PM
We should have a member map which would let us easily see where all out members come from.

I wonder if there is somthing for these forums that resembles this thing:

http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?action=mm
Mr. Saturn 06-24-2004 03:21 PM
Whoa! Hey! Thats really nifty! That would help making these get-togethers way easier! If only we knew which dot was which member...
Pygmalion 06-24-2004 03:27 PM
I like this idea. If we could enter our coordinates (or even city, state, country), it should be pretty straightforward to pin the map.

Pygmalion
evanASF27 06-24-2004 03:30 PM
hmm but what about us people with our locations in different (or even made up) places. Like mine, and hmm err...*goes to check who else*

*edit*
Like Mr Sarturn... Big Grin ...and umm...hmm..meh I give up x.x
Pygmalion 06-24-2004 04:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
hmm but what about us people with our locations in different (or even made up) places. Like mine, and hmm err...*goes to check who else*

*edit*
Like Mr Sarturn... Big Grin ...and umm...hmm..meh I give up x.x

You guys would be off the map, of course.

Pygmalion
R.Smith 06-24-2004 04:21 PM
Interesting. Even though what I entered my location to be is techincaly true, I'd still not be on the mapLaughing
Seraphim 06-24-2004 05:04 PM
It doesn't necessarily have to be in the location part. You could have it enter your location in a seperate area, so you can still keep your EXACT location secret.

This is a great idea!
YoruameBaroness 06-24-2004 06:14 PM
Yeah, I'd love to see how many other people here live in Kentucky.

*looks at location* Erm, Neo-Germany, I mean.
Travis Bickle 06-24-2004 06:20 PM
That's a freakin' sweet idea! Now I can know who lives near me, my dad in Florida, and where I'm going to for college. I say this would be an excellent addition to the Paradigm City forums!
BabyGhia 06-24-2004 06:34 PM
Sounds like a good idea. It would be interesting to see demographically where everyone lives.

BabyGhia
Surtur 06-24-2004 06:45 PM
That would be really cool. Make it a lot easier to hunt- I mean, find out who lives near me…

yea, they'll buy that…

I'm guessing our map would have big clusters around Florida, California, and New York.
Zopwx2 06-24-2004 10:17 PM
I thought it was interesting, be able to visually see where most people come from.

Those forums have alot of international members, while aprrox. 95% of our members are from the USA.

The only thing I'm wondering is if it is even a possible function on these forums. Or if it takes up rescources or somthing.......

(I know little about technical internet stuff)
Wingnut 06-24-2004 10:38 PM
I like it. Yo, Krang, any chance of getting something like this here?
Krang 06-24-2004 11:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut

I'll take a look and see if I can find something similar for WBB. If not, I'll see if I can modify that one to work with it...
Shaoblane 07-04-2004 07:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut

I'll take a look and see if I can find something similar for WBB. If not, I'll see if I can modify that one to work with it...

Ooh yeah!

And are you kidding man? Probably about 50 percent would be on the ast coast, while 25 would be in he central and 25 would be on the west coast.
Probably! I said probably!
Krang 07-05-2004 12:33 AM
Almost forgot, I have some bad news about this. There are no similar addons for WBB, and the one that Zopwx2 linked to is apparently not available for download. I found a similar one for YaBB SE (the software that SMF is based on), and it uses functions specific to the forum software, and I don't think it's worth the time to download YaBB SE and figure out what each of those functions do. So unless that forum releases the script or unless someone comes up with one for WBB, it looks like we can't add a member map here.
Zopwx2 07-05-2004 02:55 PM
Well its no big deal. Its obviously not worth all that trouble just for a map.
evanASF27 07-05-2004 02:59 PM
DAMN IT ALL!!! IT WAS SUCH A GREAT IDEA TOO!!! Crying Mad

grrrrrr......GAAAAAHHHHH!!! *slams fist down on table...flinging a loaf of French bread out the window*

*car alarm goes off*

Huh??! O_o OH WOW WHAT DID I-- ...*whistles*...*hides behind curtain*
Seraphim 07-05-2004 07:14 PM
We can probably make one in MS Paint.
The Big Ian 07-05-2004 10:05 PM
There was some sort of map application like this, but it was just a tiny bit better.

It was a part of a free-hosting site if I remember correctly. The problem is I don't remember what that site was. It's especially painfull since I was looking for it for my own purposes. Crying