All about Music

dawnstrider 06-23-2004 03:01 PM
Jo, peoples Smile . Since music is THE big thing in my life, I'd figure that this was a long time comming. This isn't about just song quotes; you could talk about you're favorite group or groups, different genera of music that you like (hence, the poll Smile ), why you HATE MTV (Evil ), or any of the like.

Me personally, I like every type of music except pop and country (I flux back and forth with R&B, and I've been disillusioned with Hip Hop lately). If you were to see my shelves, you'd find all sorts of things that don't seem to belong together: System of a Down, Public Enemy, White Zombie, and a collection of Classical favorites, including Greenleaves....I have a pretty wierd sense of juxtaposition Tongue . My favorite groups are those that combine a multitude of styles; right now, my two favorite *mainstream* musicians are 311 and Linkin Park. 311's actually been a favorite of mine since '98, and for anyone who likes a little reggae and rap with their rock should check them out, especially Grassroots from way back in '94. I would love to here some of your likes Smile . Peace.
dominusofdeath 06-23-2004 03:02 PM
Jazz.
Zopwx2 06-23-2004 03:07 PM
I CAN't CHOOSE.

I think I like somthing from at least everyone of those categories.

I can listen to clasical music right before I listen to some heavy metal.
noTomato 06-23-2004 03:14 PM
I like everything, except country. But I seem to lean towards punk/rock.
My general mix cd's consist of Dashboard Confessionals, Evanesence, Lupin III op theme, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Liberi Fatali, Drumline stuff, Boy George, Tank!, Hoobastank, Lynrd Skynrd, Ave Maria, Michael Jackson, Simple Plan, & An American In Paris. I'm quite ecclectic with music.
StevieV019 06-23-2004 03:37 PM
Ill listen to anything that sounds good....I know, I know...broad answer...but thats the truth.

The only thing I wont listen to is country, because, well, I dont like it.

My cds consist of anything from hard rock, to jazz, to techno, to trance, to video game music, to pop, to hip hop, to R&B, to rap, to oldies...just no country.

I figure life has many moods, and many environments, a different song or sound can go with pretty every little moment you deal with in life.

SO...pretty much anything goes...
C.R Foxhound 06-23-2004 03:42 PM
i listen to everything, but if i was stuck on desert island i'd love to have all electronica

but i listen to everything
Surtur 06-23-2004 03:42 PM
I'll listen to pretty much anything except country and most pop, but I really like metal. Like Metallica, korn, Disturbed, Power of Seven, that kind of stuff.
StevieV019 06-23-2004 03:58 PM
the more I stay here, the it appears we're alike Foxhound...

There's just something about that type of music that lets you just chill...and at the same time, bump your adrenaline to pulse pumping level....good stuff...
madclarinet 06-23-2004 04:08 PM
Depends for me.

I lean alot to Classical due to my clarinet playing. I enjoy Jazz (& Swing) as they both are fun to play.

My basic rule is - as long as the music is good (i.e. not rely on drum beat and bass to carry a rubbish song/tune etc), I'll enjoy it.

For instance I like Meat Loaf as his music has a song and is well built around the tune. Alot of the boy/girl bands around I hate as they make a mess of old songs or have rubbish new songs. Although if they actually make a good song or sing an old one without making a mess I'll like it.
C.R Foxhound 06-23-2004 04:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
the more I stay here, the it appears we're alike Foxhound...

There's just something about that type of music that lets you just chill...and at the same time, bump your adrenaline to pulse pumping level....good stuff...

Well its kinda a mix of everything electronica is and you can relax to it, make love to it, wreck your bosses car with a crowbar to it,

But i hate it when its abused in movies sometimes and people find it annoying,but i bet there is at least ONE electronica song from any genre that everyone could like
LANIMILBUS 06-23-2004 06:13 PM
Anything that carries a melody through an interesting chord structure. I'm really attracted to anything coming out of punk or alternative scenes that isn't standard punk or alternative. Flogging Molly, They Might Be Giants, Guster, Ben Folds, The Pillows (JAPANESE BAND!), Barenaked Ladies, to name a few. I call it "geek rock" but it hasn't caught on quite yet.

As an added note, this play-four-chords-and-repeat rock I hear on the radio has gone too far. Unless Weezer's doing it, because they have their stuff together.

Oh, and ambient techno is really good for long car rides and late nights working on the computer. Boards of Canada are fantabulous.
Asirt 06-23-2004 06:20 PM
Listening to music has alway played a very big role in my life. This comes from playing different instruments such as Trombone and Piano, and also exposing myself to various types of music. I feel as if words are not the only way to express feeling. Music can have the same emotions that people share.

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter what type of music I listen to as long as it's enjoyable. It can be any genre I choose. That could be classical, techno, pop, country, R&B, etc. As long as I am able to feel the emotion that the music wants me to feel, I can enjoy the music.
evanASF27 06-23-2004 06:48 PM
I would have picked Rock&Roll, or Jazz...but I was suprised "marches" weren't up there o.o;;
I love John Williams and I think his marches (and most of his other works) are absolutely wonderful! (But hell I'm a brass player, what would you expect?! Big Grin )
dawnstrider 06-23-2004 06:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
Music has always played a big role in my life. It's as if I enjoy listening to a lot of music, even ones that I have never heard of before.

Basically, I can't choose.

Rock, Classical, Jazz, JPop, Dance, Trance, Techno, VGM (Video Game Music), World, Ambient, and anything else I haven't mentioned basically. I enjoy all kinds because music can say load of things without knowing it. Big Grin

(Man, that sounded corny)

Later,
Trisa

EDIT --Typo

I agree wholeheartedly Smile . I especially find it true regarding how it speaks much in an emotional, rather than audial or analytical way.

Since you'd mentioned video game music, I'd like to say that, though I'm not what you would call a gamer by most means of the word, one video game that really stuck to me was Xenogears, and I realize that a large part of the credit is due to the soundtrack. It wasn't just the fact that it was good - though to me at least it definitely was Smile - it was that it was fitting. The music, at various times, set the atmosphere, changed the mood, and described the feelings, thoughts and personas better than the complimentary word exchanges ever could Smile .

One thing I notice is a lot of country hate (though "hate" might be too strong a word). I know I'm not a fan, but that's mainly because I feel it's songs are too repetitive (I kind of feel the same about some R&B hits) and I can't really relate to it that much, though I'd like to note that I do kinda like the Charlie Daniels Band, though that's probably more folk or bluegrass than actual "country". Anyone who likes country who would like to clarify?

(Edit: Sorry, guess I didn't think too much about marches, Evan Embarrassed Sweatdrop )
LANIMILBUS 06-23-2004 06:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
I would have picked Rock&Roll, or Jazz...but I was suprised "marches" weren't up there o.o;;
I love John Williams and I think his marches (and most of his other works) are absolutely wonderful! (But hell I'm a brass player, what would you expect?! Big Grin )

I agree with you! Marches and John Williams are both good, and it's good when John Williams does marches!

Promenade, from Pictures at an Exhibition by Modeste Mussourgsky is the most brilliant piece ever written in my opinion. If anyone wants to hear me doing a heavy rock reprise of it, http://www.usesoap.net/rack/audio/promenade.mp3 is a good place to go for it.

And I know this isn't a They Might Be Giants forum, but maybe someone other than me is an in-depth fan and agrees with me that the old march version of "Finished Was Lies" is superior to the peppy version that they put on Mink Car.
Shaoblane 06-23-2004 06:58 PM
PUNK ROCK!!!!

It rules!!!!

Headbanging and...more headbanging.....
dominusofdeath 06-23-2004 07:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shaoblane
PUNK ROCK!!!!

It rules!!!!

Headbanging and...more headbanging.....

I've gone to Warped tour the past 4 years in a row. It's fun. Smells like pot.
Asirt 06-23-2004 07:05 PM
quote:
One thing I notice is a lot of country hate (though "hate" might be too strong a word). I know I'm not a fan, but that's mainly because I feel it's songs are too repetitive (I kind of feel the same about some R&B hits) and I can't really relate to it that much, though I'd like to note that I do kinda like the Charlie Daniels Band, though that's probably more folk or bluegrass than actual "country". Anyone who likes country who would like to clarify?

I can understand where you're coming from. This is why I only listen to music that I enjoy and not every music out there. I agree that some genres can be a bit repetitive after a while (lyrics or the background music), but there are also those gems out there that are unique and different from the repetitive music. Say, it's been a while since I listened to punk rock. I should listen to that again.

For those who want to know, my favorite video game soundtrack is AIR, but you probably knew that already. Wink
dawnstrider 06-23-2004 07:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
Stryder,
I agree on how country and R&B can so pretty repetitive, as I listen to them closely, you slowly start to notice the similarity between them. That is not to say I don't like these type of music, but it does sound repetitive to my ears.

It's been a while since I listened to punk rock. I should listen to that again. Big Grin

Later,
Trisa

PS. For Stryder: My favorite video game soundtrack is NiGHTS Into Dreams... Big Grin

I've heard a few of my friends say that R&B and country are essentially the same flare of music, but for different demographs. I don't really believe that, but I could see why some would draw that conclusion.

quote:
I've gone to Warped tour the past 4 years in a row. It's fun. Smells like pot.

Heh, so does a hip hop concert Tongue . Hang around that crowd long enough, and you start seeing all sorts of weird s***t Smile .
evanASF27 06-23-2004 07:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Stryder
(Edit: Sorry, guess I didn't think too much about marches, Evan Embarrassed Sweatdrop )

meh never you mind bout it...no one ever does anyways x_X;;