All about Music

LANIMILBUS 06-23-2004 07:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Stryder
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
Stryder,
I agree on how country and R&B can so pretty repetitive, as I listen to them closely, you slowly start to notice the similarity between them. That is not to say I don't like these type of music, but it does sound repetitive to my ears.

It's been a while since I listened to punk rock. I should listen to that again. Big Grin

Later,
Trisa

PS. For Stryder: My favorite video game soundtrack is NiGHTS Into Dreams... Big Grin

I've heard a few of my friends say that R&B and country are essentially the same flare of music, but for different demographs. I don't really believe that, but I could see why some would draw that conclusion.

quote:
I've gone to Warped tour the past 4 years in a row. It's fun. Smells like pot.

Heh, so does a hip hop concert Tongue . Hang around that crowd long enough, and you start seeing all sorts of weird s***t Smile .

Hang around any music crowd long enough, you realize that most of them are high. That's just how the music industry is now-a-days.
dawnstrider 06-23-2004 07:45 PM
quote:

Hang around any music crowd long enough, you realize that most of them are high. That's just how the music industry is now-a-days.

Could be worse - they could be like some Rock stars who are into the harder stuff - you know, the drugs that bounce them from one ReHab center to the next without any improvement Sweatdrop .

Speaking of which.... Scott Weiland from STP had recently put out a new composite group with most of the guys from Guns N Roses, but I'm not sure how long that'll fly. I heard one song - "Seether" - on the radio, and liked it, but I have my reservations. I hear the album's got mixed reviews as well.
Nyarlathotep 06-23-2004 09:39 PM
I listen to whatever sounds good to me. I listen to some rock, bit of rap, bit of jazz, bit of a lot of other things. I don't really know what I'd say I listen to most. I do love me some music though, I don't pass a day without listening to some and can't imagine life otherwise.
Xel 06-23-2004 10:47 PM
I listen to mostly J-rock, which is sort of a thing all its own. But under that broad title is a range of industrial, metal, R&B, hard rock... you name it. There's a little bit of pop in there, too, but those tend to be the exception to the rule, as I'm not generally fond of pop music from any country. ^^;

I'm ungodly fond of trip-hop, too. Sneaker Pimps, Portishead, Massive Attack-- stuff like that.

Video game soundtracks... certain anime soundtracks, too (mainly Kanno OSTs. Big Grin ).

I met J-rock band Psycho le Cemu at A-Kon a couple weeks ago. That's the best music-related thing that's happened to me in a loooong time.
Travis Bickle 06-23-2004 11:05 PM
I listen to (and play) every type of music listed and then some...except for country. I have no respect for Toby Keith and everyone else south of the border. I am mostly fond of metal, punk, some rap (NWA rules, and I'm in the middle of making my "DIRT OFF YOUR SHOULDER (BAD MOTHERf***ER REMIX) using the acapella Black Album) video game music, J Pop, good ole' rock and roll and lots of other stuff.
Mugiwara Luffy 06-23-2004 11:15 PM
I voted Jazz. It's always so smooth and cool. (just like me!)

I also listen to other stuff such as J-Rock, rock, or classical. The only types of music I don't like are Rap, Pop, Hip-hop/R&B, and country.
C.R Foxhound 06-24-2004 12:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Stryder
quote:

Could be worse - they could be like some Rock stars who are into the harder stuff - you know, the drugs that bounce them from one ReHab center to the next without any improvement Sweatdrop .

Speaking of which.... Scott Weiland from STP had recently put out a new composite group with most of the guys from Guns N Roses, but I'm not sure how long that'll fly. I heard one song - "Seether" - on the radio, and liked it, but I have my reservations. I hear the album's got mixed reviews as well.

Velvet Revolver

Did STP break up? i hope not, that was some good stuff man

And what has audioslave been up to, i liked thier first album, speaking of which, didnt Zach De La Rocha has a solo album?

im getting off topic as usual

next post!
F-14Tomcat 06-24-2004 12:36 AM
Hmm, I like to think that I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music. This week I've been listening to Linkin Park and AFI alot. While last week, I was hooked on my 4 Valdimir Horowitz (classical piano) cd's. I have a few of KoRn's cd's, but I also love The Phantom of the Opera. Classic rock/metal is great too; Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, ect.

Even though some of the cd's I own have nothing musically in common, they all have a common trait that makes me like them; They all have character and soul. Even though the genre and style changes, they still have a unique character. Thats why I generally don't like pop, cause it can sound mass produced.

Bottom line; If it has character, I'll prolly like it Big Grin
StevieV019 06-24-2004 07:32 AM
Sorry, Foxhound...STP is long gone. The DeLeo brothers and Weiland got into it after he got out of rehab (the second time I believe). So, STP is gone, and Weiland is with Slash from Guns N Roses to form Velvet Revolver. Loved the new song "Seether" however, Im not sure if the other GnR players are in the band....

EDIT: For Stryder and Trisa: Favorite Video Game Soundtrack: Close one....either Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or Parasite Eve
Kairi 06-24-2004 08:34 AM
Genres - Industrial - Tanzmetal - Techno - Electronica - VGM

Bands - Rammstein - Megaherz - Der Bote - KMFDM - PM5K - Nine Inch Nails

I, obviously, turn to a lot of heavy stuff, but that doesn't mean I'm limited to it. Everyone says this, but I have no problem listening to a song or band of any genre, as long as it sounds good. Meh.
Almasy 06-24-2004 09:09 AM
I like Techno/Dance & Classical/Orchestral/Movie Soundtrack music the most! ^__^
re-animate 06-24-2004 10:23 AM
i listen to everything cept country and rap

but i listen to the beastie boys....

i lean more twards the metal/hard/punk rock of it all...

but i am a sucker for opera....
C.R Foxhound 06-24-2004 10:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Sorry, Foxhound...STP is long gone. The DeLeo brothers and Weiland got into it after he got out of rehab (the second time I believe). So, STP is gone, and Weiland is with Slash from Guns N Roses to form Velvet Revolver. Loved the new song "Seether" however, Im not sure if the other GnR players are in the band....

What?...no....awww man...why do the good always break up and they sucky ones ( basically everyone else) stay together

Well, the bass player from Guns is also with Velvet Revolver
Man, Axl Rose ran everybody outta town
dawnstrider 06-24-2004 03:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by C.R Foxhound
quote:

What?...no....awww man...why do the good always break up and they sucky ones ( basically everyone else) stay together

Well, the bass player from Guns is also with Velvet Revolver
Man, Axl Rose ran everybody outta town

Yeah, they're history Smile . In addition to GNR, I think they also have the bass player from Suicidal Tendencies, and old, hard-core rock group from the 80s. The only hit I think they had was "Institutionalized". That song was so obnoxious it was actually pretty cool Tongue .

quote:
but i listen to the beastie boys....

Yeah, me too. I was afraid that they might have lost their touch...ya know, considering they've been out since I was born....but they're still good. "Ch-Check it out" was played over....and over...and over on my favorite station till I was almost sick of it.....almost Tongue .

quote:
And what has audioslave been up to, i liked thier first album, speaking of which, didnt Zach De La Rocha has a solo album

Not sure Confused Didn't they put out something last year? I know "I am the highway"' is still considered "recent".
BabyGhia 06-24-2004 06:28 PM
I like a lot of different types of music and it all depends on my mood. However, I'm not a big fan of country but I do like some country-influenced songs. I'm not a huge fan of classical either but I can appreciate in some places.... it tends to put me to sleep. I mainly listen to Hard Rock/Punk though.

About Velvet Revolver... I did buy the CD. It's not bad but I took me a couple of listens to find some songs that I liked. It's not like STP that much though. I should pop in Purple and give it a whirl but I think all my STP CDs are in the car.

I liked the Audioslave CD also but I guess I was expecting something more from them so originally I was a little disappointed in it but I ended up liking a lot of it. Next CD from them should be really good.. I hope.

BabyGhia driving a car and a Rage Against the machine song = very crazy driving! Big Grin

BabyGhia
StevieV019 06-25-2004 08:23 AM
quote:
Yeah, they're history . In addition to GNR, I think they also have the bass player from Suicidal Tendencies, and old, hard-core rock group from the 80s. The only hit I think they had was "Institutionalized". That song was so obnoxious it was actually pretty cool

I think you're right...about the bass player being from Suicidal Tendencies...yep, heard about them from the 80s. Isnt that song "Institutionalized" have a verse in there about "taking away this ball and chain"?? I could be thinking of Social Distortion...I get those too mixed up....anyway...moving on...

I may have to pick up the Velvet Revolver CD...though...still wishing Axl didnt go through his ego/crazy trip...GnR was what rock was all about...

Rage Against the Machine is certainly a sound to let your voice be heard...
Blue Crow 06-25-2004 11:50 AM
I too,like a lot of different genres,but if I'm not mistaken,the poll says "favorite".

So,Indie/Lo-fi rock,hands down.Pleased

This includes,but is not limited to bands like: The Strokes, Interpol, Cursive, Bright Eyes ,Radiohead, Piebald, The Hives, The White Stripes, Pete Yorn (who may be considered folk,but oh well), Saves The Day, etc.

Then again,I also enjoy some harder stuff from time to time like: CKY, Rage Against The Machine, Thursday, etc.

-BC
Darkside 06-25-2004 12:11 PM
Its a toss up between Jazz, Metal, Heavy Rock, Alternative, and the occasional Nightmare Before Christmas Song.

depends on the modd I'm in
C.R Foxhound 06-25-2004 12:58 PM
quote:
quote:
Yeah, they're history . In addition to GNR, I think they also have the bass player from Suicidal Tendencies, and old, hard-core rock group from the 80s. The only hit I think they had was "Institutionalized". That song was so obnoxious it was actually pretty cool

I think you're right...about the bass player being from Suicidal Tendencies...yep, heard about them from the 80s. Isnt that song "Institutionalized" have a verse in there about "taking away this ball and chain"?? I could be thinking of Social Distortion...I get those too mixed up....anyway...moving on...

No it was the song were the guy was like

"ALL I WANTED WAS A PEPSI,ONE PEPSI. AND SHE WOULDNT GIVE ME A PEPSI!!!"

INSTITUTIONALIZED!!!
IM NOT CRAZY!!!!
INSTITUTIONALIZED!!!
YOURE THE ONE WHO'S CRAZY!!!!

Lol god i loved that song! Big Grin
dawnstrider 06-25-2004 09:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by C.R Foxhound
quote:
quote:

No it was the song were the guy was like

"ALL I WANTED WAS A PEPSI,ONE PEPSI. AND SHE WOULDNT GIVE ME A PEPSI!!!"

INSTITUTIONALIZED!!!
IM NOT CRAZY!!!!
INSTITUTIONALIZED!!!
YOURE THE ONE WHO'S CRAZY!!!!

Lol god i loved that song! Big Grin

Remember that part when his mother burst into his room and stated screaming about him being on drugs? I loved that part Big Grin . And yeah, Stevie, that was Social Distortion's song "Ball and Chain" from the early 90's.

I'm sure we've got a few musicians here - anyone in a group or thinking about entering the music scene?